Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
heyrico OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
r1200gs drive shaft install

Hey everyone
Does anyone have a tip or experience replacing the driveshaft with the swing arm installed? I'm going through the reassembly portion of a clutch, balancer shaft seal, and transmission I/O seal replacement on my '05 GS. One of the things I did during disassembly was to remove the drive shaft before I prulled the rear subframe off (I left the swingarm attached). I think this made removal of the suframe easier. I reattached the subframe (with swingarm attached) before I installed the shaft onto the transmission, not expecting the driveshaft installation through the paralever tube to be so, oh, friggin' impossible! The Ujoint on the front of the shaft droops and won't align with the output shaft on the transmission. I'd really hate to remove the subframe again, though I might be OK removing the swingarm (I'll need some new tools to do so) but I'd really like to do neither so I hope someone has a tip or trick they can impart so that I can shove that thing back up through the tube.
Thanks for any help,
E.
heyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Block of wood

Try a small piece of wood about 7/8"+ thick, 1 1/2" wide, 2 1/2" long. Put it in the swing arm and push it up under where the drive shaft/ u-joint joins the output spline. Put the drive shaft in the swing arm, resting the u-joint on the block. Wiggle and rotate the drive shaft a bit from the FD end using a screw driver as a lever on the block and under the u-joint. Eventually the splines will contact. Then drive it home from the FD end with a rubber mallet. Then use a piece of bent wire to drag the wood block out. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
heyrico OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thanks!

Thanks Malloy,
I got it in by lifting the swinging arm up so that its axis was parallel to the output shaft (as close as I could get it) it was cold so the ujoint grease was thick enough so that it wouldn't flop around, then i merely shoved it striaght on. :)
heyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Good on ya'

Glad you found a way . Sounds so simple. I suppose you could strap the swing arm from above on the frame to help hold it parallel.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,301
A long screwdriver ?

I am about to replace tires, change final drive gear oil, and grease the splines on my 08 GS-ADV. I have seen a thread somewhere where the driveshaft was removed and re-installed with the swingarm in place.

Would not a LONG flatblade screwdriver work when trying to put the shaft back on the tranny end? I would think you could fish the long screwdriver in and manipulate the knuckle at the tranny end to go right on?

Am I wrong? Any help before I get my bike apart would be appreciated
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan
I am about to replace tires, change final drive gear oil, and grease the splines on my 08 GS-ADV. I have seen a thread somewhere where the driveshaft was removed and re-installed with the swingarm in place.

Would not a LONG flatblade screwdriver work when trying to put the shaft back on the tranny end? I would think you could fish the long screwdriver in and manipulate the knuckle at the tranny end to go right on?

Am I wrong? Any help before I get my bike apart would be appreciated
It would probably be easier if you pulled back the upper boot and used a screwdriver or small piece of wood to help line up the shaft.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Talking

Good tip, but that upper boot can be a bear to reinstal and seal upl, at least on the 1150.
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1150gsadv
Good tip, but that upper boot can be a bear to reinstal and seal upl, at least on the 1150.
It is still a bit of a pain, but much easier on the R1200 IMHO.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Thumb Pull the boot

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295173

This thread has a pictorial on lubing the transmission output spline - 2d page. You have to pull the upper boot, at the transmission, back in order to disconnect the drive shaft from the transmission. No biggie, really. But it is best to have an OEM zip-tie on hand when you reinstall the boot because they are a little narrower then the ones you get in hardware and electrical supply stores. And, not surprisingly so is the groove on the boot that receives the zip-tie . They only cost a couple of bucks.

Did anyone mention Honda Molly 60 lube?

Good luck and have fun .