User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #46
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
http://www.oppracing.com/products/62...bolts-washers/

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #47
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
IF your bike is not wired for lights already, the stator is pure A/C.
You'll need a voltage regulator, and the lights use no ground.

headlight===========stator==voltage regulator===========tail/brakelight

I ran two wires from front to back, tied it to the headlight switch for hi/lo and the tail with a splice off it to the brakelight switches. The voltage regulator attaches to each wire as does the stator.
If you try to ground it you'll kill the stator unless you run it through a rectifier to get DC and add a battery.
The regulator doesn't have to be grounded either. Just just shunts the excess voltage across its self.
Do it wrong you'll be buying more bulbs. Ask me how I know.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #48
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
WTF do I need to put brake switches on this thing so I can make er street legal?
Look at any KTM LC4 for tips on this. The brake switches should all be the same (banjo-bolt switches as already mentioned). I also added a front brake switch on mine because I usually use the front brake and didn't want to grab a handful and get rear ended.

As for the tail light: if you order through ATK, you're going to have to order their under-fender brace (an aluminum contraption that gives some strength to the plastic). Your other choices are Acerbis or UFO tail light assemblies. I had the UFO on my first ATK. The turn signal melted on the way home. If you have a decent deflector on the Supertrap, you'll get away with it, otherwise, forget it.

Acerbis also sells a tail light, license plate mount. None of them are perfect solutions. Again, I made my own tail light mount for mine. It's far from ideal as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #49
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Looks like you're gonna have some fun, Mike.

Quote:

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #50
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Got her started on my own for the first time today. Hadta go to an appointment, so didn't get a chance to ride it.

Soon,

M
Old 04-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #51
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

I saw Stick Me off to work(sucks) and actually got the ATK started. Took a bit o' doing since this is the second time I've hadta kick this bike into life. :hotandsweatyafterkickingfor10min Rode right past a cop on the way out to the little patch of desert. Not even a wave.

So what IS the ticket for riding a dirt-only bike on the streets?

I managed to get to a gate with a 'no motorized vehicle' sign, so I hopped into a housing dev. and went around that section.

Kept looking behind me for Johnny Law. Luckily, I didn't see him! Also luckily, there's a little trail of sorts next to the roads out here.

As I was riding down the bicycle lane hoping and praying for that section of dirt to start, I noticed it was getting a wee bit on the dark side.

Hmmm maybe I should turn back now?

Nah I'll keep going on a short loop.

Y'know, its MUCH easier to see whatcher doin in daylight.

I managed to get home with only one slight mishap with a curb. Hope I didn't ding my rim! No, I haven't looked.

Observations: its MUCH easier to ride this bike in the dirt than the GS

This seat is HARD

Its MUCH easier to ride when you can see

Did I mention the seat's hard?

Sand's not as big an issue on a lighter bike. GS =

Woulda been nice to be able to see

M
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #52
atkxr600
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Just sold mine, after 20 years of ownership
atkxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #53
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkxr600
Just sold mine, after 20 years of ownership
You shoved a Honda engine in there?

How?

Why?

M
Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #54
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
You shoved a Honda engine in there?
How?
Why?
M
With bolts.

Because the instructions said so.

Because ATK's first motorcycle was actually a frame kit for the XL/XR600. You supplied an engine, maybe the wheels and maybe the forks, though they usually ended up with KTM parts.

That is the best one I've recently seen. Where are you? Was this the one that was on eBay? Midwest? I wouldn't mind having one of those someday. That was Horst Leitner's first complete creation.

Gummee: technically speaking, the ATK you/I have isn't a real (Leitner) ATK. The last real ATKs were pre-1994. The easiest way to spot a Horst Leitner ATK is the rear disk brake being on the engine. Lots of innovation on those early bikes. I think his best creation was the 406. I need to get me one of those.

Photos & history here:
http://www.americandirtbike.com/newpage1.htm
Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #55
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
With bolts.

Because the instructions said so.

Because ATK's first motorcycle was actually a frame kit for the XL/XR600. You supplied an engine, maybe the wheels and maybe the forks, though they usually ended up with KTM parts.

That is the best one I've recently seen. Where are you? Was this the one that was on eBay? Midwest? I wouldn't mind having one of those someday. That was Horst Leitner's first complete creation.

Gummee: technically speaking, the ATK you/I have isn't a real (Leitner) ATK. The last real ATKs were pre-1994. The easiest way to spot a Horst Leitner ATK is the rear disk brake being on the engine. Lots of innovation on those early bikes. I think his best creation was the 406. I need to get me one of those.

Photos & history here:
http://www.americandirtbike.com/newpage1.htm
I had a buddy that rode the wheels off some AMP bicycles 'back when.' I don't remember how many frames he broke. Horst never did like that. After a while, he stopped sending new ones.

Some of what Horst thunk up: the link that Specialized still uses, etc. are way nifty. The disc on the engine?

M
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #56
atkxr600
n00b

Yes, that was mine on eBay. I'm in Flint Mich. winning bidder drove up from Cleveland Ohio. Bike went off at $2,376.00. I thought, I would be lucky to get 1750. I was really just hoping to cover the $1,200.00 in receipts I had from the last rebuild. Thanks for the kind words.

As to the how, it was a kit that ATK offered back in the day. The kit used the engine, forks, wheels and brakes from your own XR, then the frame, swingarm, rear shock,and body work from ATK. You could actually have bought one from ATK with the Honda mill in it. Motocross Action did a write up in 87, gave it rave reviews.

Now for the why, in the late 1980's, I was racing Hare Scrambles, in AMA District 14, I was racing my 1986 XR600R. It was heavy and I was looking to put it on a diet. A hard get off, had sent the XR on a long series of endos, that resulted in a bent rear frame section. The frame was straitened, and the bike was ridable, but it was always in the back of my mind.
I always wanted an ATK, but was never a fan of the Rotax. I absolutely hated the left hand kick start, I had a 1976 Husky CR250 and never liked the LH kick. Add to that the fact that I seem to fall allot, and getting a big thumper, to clear and fire, after a fall, is hard enough, without finding suitable footing on the side of the bike (where you won't get run over by the guys passing you). You guys without E start, know what I'm talking about, the Rotax of the day had you looking through a peep hole on the side of the rocker box, to see a small white mrk come up, to find TDC, then try and just pass that, and kick the hell out of it. If it doesn't fire do it all over again, in a 29" wide trail, through the trees, with every hotshoe blowing past you.
Anyways, the kit allowed me to keep my trusty XR6 motor, and lose weight too.
I built it 1989, rebuilt in 2005. During the rebuild my wife bought me a 2006 CRF450R, after riding that I knew I would never spend much time on the 600 again. I let it sit in the back of the garage, for a few years, then just started cleaning out the garage. Just too much stuff sitting around. I know I'll miss it, but thats life.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #57
atkxr600
n00b

Oh, and the sad, or ironic part is, the guy that bought it, has know idea what he got. He was just looking for a nice XR600.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #58
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkxr600
Oh, and the sad, or ironic part is, the guy that bought it, has know idea what he got. He was just looking for a nice XR600.
I had a pretty good idea what I was getting when I spoke with 'the dood from UT.'

I'd been shopping for a road legal dirt bike a while back and ran across an ATK on Sandy Eggo's CL. Got talked out of that and into a 640Adv. I SHOULD have been talked into something like a 250, but... Had my mind made up.

So far, so good on the riding... Gotta figger this kicking thing out. 10min of kicking SUCKS! Don't have the $$ for a lectric leg kit just yet. Anyone know any flattrackers?

M
Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #59
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 817
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
With bolts.

I sold my 1993 406 last year. I gave up trying to licence it for the road so I wouldn't have to trailer it out to the riding areas. Somebody up in the interior of BC has his licenced though and it looks sweet. I loved that machine! I'm not sure who it was built for though. I'm like 6'5" and it's a tall bike, I think you could just about squeeze a honda civic under the skid plate. The height of that thing made going over logs idiot proof. It was bloody fast too but oh so friggin loud!

-Gummee! the rear brake was a very tiny disc brake on the same shaft as the counter sprocket. As small as it was it worked very well and cut down on the unsprung weight at the rear wheel and was nearly impossible to damage where it was.

And since you're having a hard time kicking yours, mine kicked over easier when I tipped it over until gas came out the overflow on the carb, then stand it up and it went in the first 3 kicks everytime. YMMV
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #60
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper
And since you're having a hard time kicking yours, mine kicked over easier when I tipped it over until gas came out the overflow on the carb, then stand it up and it went in the first 3 kicks everytime. YMMV
I think its more technique than anything.

Maybe jetting too? I'm NOT an expert on carbs by any stretch of the imagination.

M