Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 505
Cagiva elefant 750 build.

Having sold my last bike after the build
( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708260 ) I am on the home run of a smaller project - a Cagiva Elefant 750. I bought the bike - unseen except by photos and description it was fairly cheap. It turned out not only to be far worse condition than described but almost un - rideable and dangerous. It had only passed the MOT days before - this bike would never pass an MOT legally - the seller was as helpfull as a pile of broken bricks. He was an airline pilot for British Airways) makes you wonder doesn't it ?.
The bike was tatty, rusty and battered, the steering head bearings were rusted and partially collapsed, the swing arm bearings had corroded solid and started to collapse, along with every set of needle roller bearings (six sets) in the suspension bushes which were rusted solid, the exhaust was snapped in two places, the fork stanchions were very pitted and twisted, the brakes hardly worked, the discs were worn out and heavily grooved,, the front sprocket teeth were worn to curved thin teeth the chain overstretched. The engine would not run below 3000, a check of the carbs found them gummed up and the needle jets massively worn and ovalled along with a lot of crud in the fuel tank taps and float bowls. the valves were set right except the rear exhaust which was very tight on the closing shim and had started deforming the collet seats. The rest of the bike was corroded, the engine and casing looked like they had spent a few years on the bottom of the sea with crash damage to the bodywork and plastics, the battery tray had melted due to a blowing exhaust - so your getting the picture - it was a very poor condition machine. To scrap it or rebuild it - well I like a challenge. I gave myself a total budget of 1500. so off to work we go.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

I did not take many photos of the bike before just a few of the wiring to know how to replace it but have started photos of the (rebuild on a budget). First thing I took the bike apart and piled it in the corner of my garage, then i started taking the engine apart, heads off, barrels off oil leaks from base, pistons off, various bits off the main engine, clutch looked good clutch piston was a bit jammed. quick peak inside the engine casing and all looked clean and moved freely - at least it looks like its had oil changes.I cleaned up the pistons checking them for wear or marks they were in good condition. A clean up of the barrels and tidy up with a coat of paint then gave the engine casings a good clean and a coat of black paint to make things match up. I repainted the silver casings with spray paint, most other bits were going off to the powder coater.
pics to follow.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Here are a few of the stripped down bits and bobs and some glimpses of the bike before strip down - I had not intended doing a write up so had not taken many before or start of project pics.
this one is after I had rebuilt the heads lying on the floor beside the pile of junk
Old 03-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Anyway it a bit of a jump to the current state I am at, I had the frame coated red, most of the bodywork i just t cut back then polished but had to repair the tank and the right hand fairing which were badly cracked and scraped after some crash damage. - a mate repainted the fairing panel. but the tank I repaired and the rest is just a tidy up job. firt is home painted engine parts in silver. next a coat of black to the engine casings (and the barrels.)

adventure950 screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 04:39 PM
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Pistons and barrels back in place next pop the heads on I rebuilt the heads with EMS collets far superior to the standard items.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

The barrel after painting then the piston in place ready to go on the engine, and a rebuilt head
Old 03-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

red frame and swing arm together with engine back in frame - get things timed up and cam belts fitted next
Old 03-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Second hand low mileage Suspension unit in place it has a bit surface rust but will be replaced with a new unit in a few months time, timing belts done and refinished covers fitted new stainless bolts where they show and are suitable. Brand new set of old stock but new carbs I picked up for a small amount. a few other ancillery bits in place.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure950 View Post
Second hand low mileage Suspension unit in place it has a bit surface rust but will be replaced with a new unit in a few months time, timing belts done and refinished covers fitted new stainless bolts where they show and are suitable. Brand new set of old stock but new carbs I picked up for a small amount. a few other ancillery bits in place.

good work ,,it will be worth it
wmfleet2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #10
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Loved your HPN replica. Subscribing to this one for sure!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:17 AM   #11
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,965
Keep up the good work.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #12
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 577
How many different coloured seats will this one get?
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #13
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

welcome back to you ivormortis and gsd4me - like I say this is a limited budget restore to a degree, so i am more concerned about a neat tidy up and get it mechanically good to use as a daily ride. here are a few pics of the bodywork - the fairing panel was well damaged but my mate made a good job of the paint to match the other side of the bike. The tank has been t cut and i did some vinyl wrap in black and used it to tidy over the repair area on the lower right and left side. The side panels again have been re stickered with 750 motives and the black paintwork was worn away so I also vinyl wrapped that area - which is a quick and easy way to tidy up panels. The white paintwork was a real job as the plastic kept reacting to the solvents - so once that panel was done as a tester the painter (a mate of mine refused to make a start on the others unless I laid down a huge amount of money for him to complete it as he reckoned it would be a very long and problamatic repaint. So we left it at the one panel and the tail piece.

adventure950 screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 02:07 AM
adventure950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #14
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Hey clayspinner - how's Canada - nice to hear from you - haven't you got any work to be doing instead of looking at this - I was going to ask for opinions on the seat - got some nice pink furry material lying about somewhere - what do you think ? By the way I've christened her Saboo - Jake.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 AM   #15
adventure950 OP
Anglo-Saxon

Fitted the sub frame and restored some new plastics, re insulated the heat proof wrap on a replacement battery box then it was start on the Wiring harness !!!!! eeek, i have reworked and modified the harness a bit, so the fuse box (now with 6 fuses instead of two) sits under the right side panel - instead of on the dashboard, I have yet to make up a plate for it to attach to but will get round to that this week so its just hanging around in the right area at the moment.
The harness now has auxillery circuits one switched one live, the original wiring for the starter system was removed and I have fitted a HICAP 2 system. I have also re jigged the lighting circuit so that high and low beam are powered straight from the mains at the fuse box through a larger bore cable and both high and low are through seperate relays. The standard lighting was a terrible set up with power to the bulbs going all over the harness through switches and fairly small cables. The bulbs have also been replaced from older standard s2 to bosch halogen.
So first the sub frame etc in place and from the other side I replaced all the mounting hardwear cables etc for the clocks and dashboard - beats the tie wraps that was holding it all together - I intend to fit a voltmeter sometime this week. some of the wiring on the the right of the headstock - this all sits underneath the fairing so is well protected and on the opposite side we have the regulator and igniter boxes for the sparks, the coils were also cleaned up, new leads etc fitted.