User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
stevee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Naunton and other places

Today I managed to get some quality time on the bike , and was blessed with cool but clear skies , and little traffic ................so I rolled out the Pathfinder, and set the controls for Naunton , a very picturesque little village nestling in the folds of the Windrush valley , basking in the winter sun , showing off all its finery , including a dovecote built in the 1600 's , and a fine church , as well as some lovely buildings lining the country lane that runs through the village ........

You will see from the photos two sundials on the church , one dated at 1748 , and inside it is lovely too .......

On the way back I took a long detour on the spur of the moment , to take in Snowshill , another lovely litte village , which was used for the wedding in Bridget Jones Diary a few years ago , and not forgetting the surrounding countryside as I also paused briefly at Guiting Power............ here's a few teaser photos .........

Gargoyle

Naunton .........

Soft reflection of the stained glass window on the wooden floor in the church at Naunton

Also included are some nice cars , an MG from the 1960's parked up in Snowshill , an Austin as well - this belongs to the Postman in the village , and a modern Beemer in Upper Slaughter [ strangely , the owner had taped up the badges on this car ] .........

The gallery .........

http://steve1962.smugmug.com/gallery/7413713_owCzu

The highlight on the way home was the pheasant which flew out from the woods to my left , and then flew just in front of the bike straight down the road just in front of the screen for 250 yards before careering off to the left , narrowly avoiding a head on crash with a big tree !!

Steve

stevee screwed with this post 02-21-2009 at 09:07 AM
stevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Looks good.. thanks for another Pathfinder report and the link to your pics Slowly but surely we are getting to see your part of England!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
GSgal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Exquisite photos, Steve! We're selfishly glad you have a bike again, as it allows us the opportunity to enjoy your rides and photos.
GSgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
stevee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSgal
Exquisite photos, Steve! We're selfishly glad you have a bike again, as it allows us the opportunity to enjoy your rides and photos.
Thanks,
Just thought I'd share this as well ...........

.........I was also most moved by this inscription I found inside the church at Naunton , in memory of a little girl ....

Elizabeth , aged 5 years and 12 months

June 25th 1831

Her little engaging ways
Rememberance oft with sorrow brings to mind
While from mine eyes , the gushing tear betrays
How oft her image round my heart is twin'd .

Took a moment to reflect after reading this .

Steve