Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Darryl625 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Bike to Canada

G'day fellow riders
I'm chasing up some info on getting a bike into Canada, I have a job but still waiting for a work visa.
Anyway I would like to bring my bike along with me, is it possible to just freight it with other items that we are sending with removals' or is there some sort of process to go through because it's a vehicle?
Any info would be great

Thanks
Old 11-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,845
Start by reading the thread above on importing, most of your questions will be answered.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,935
If permanently moving, you don't have to do any of the RIV "importing stuff", When I moved here in '90s, unless a vehicle was over 10 years old (emissions) or purchased within 6 months of moving (fear you're dodging taxes), you should have nothing to do at all.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
samslow
always learning

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl625 View Post
G'day fellow riders
I'm chasing up some info on getting a bike into Canada, I have a job but still waiting for a work visa.
Anyway I would like to bring my bike along with me, is it possible to just freight it with other items that we are sending with removals' or is there some sort of process to go through because it's a vehicle?
Any info would be great

Thanks
where are you moving from and to? If its Ontario im afraid if your bike is under 15 years old the answer will be no.
I moved here a year ago from England and went through this. If the bike is 15 yrs old or more i think its possible as a classic. But anything else is pretty much a no. Don't even think of just sticking it in the container with your other stuff as it will be rejected at this end and end up in the bin or chopped up or even your whole container sent back.

I've got some info somewhere i'll try and dig it out. Even though my bike was a model available in Canada it was still a no. Sorry for the bad news but it pissed me off too.
samslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
AlexMM
n00b

Oddometer: 1
This might help:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...itors-1334.htm

Alex
AlexMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by samslow View Post
where are you moving from and to? If its Ontario im afraid if your bike is under 15 years old the answer will be no.
I moved here a year ago from England and went through this. If the bike is 15 yrs old or more i think its possible as a classic. But anything else is pretty much a no. Don't even think of just sticking it in the container with your other stuff as it will be rejected at this end and end up in the bin or chopped up or even your whole container sent back.

I've got some info somewhere i'll try and dig it out. Even though my bike was a model available in Canada it was still a no. Sorry for the bad news but it pissed me off too.
You are certainly correct.

If the WA stands for Western Australia, rather than Washington, I'm afraid you are in the same boat as samslow points out above. If you are from Washington, state, then it will be no problem, as the USA/Canada free trade agreement allows vehicle import/export within the R.I.V. vehicle inclusion list.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #7
Darryl625 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thanks for the info. I looked at the site suggested and yep by the looks I won't even bother as it is from Western Australia. Really don't want to get rid of the bike if we move but it either sell it or it sits in the old mans shed.