Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #1681
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
Wes,

That's what happens when you produce offspring... your "free time" disappears! Try having two... or more! I am waiting till they are old enough to balance on a bicycle; then it will be time to score an OSET or a PW50 (x2!)

Dean
Actually it was building, racing and driving this all over the USA for 3 weeks that burned up my summer.... Still managed about 5000 kms on the XRR and about the same on the VFR.

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #1682
Wesley J
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Wes - I think it's the 3rd Wed that Avg Joe was suggesting... but I'd be game for a catch-up on Jan 3rd too...
If there's beer and motorcycle talk, I'm in. I think the 3rd Wednesday we're leaving for Death Valley. With the trip planning has come scope creep, we've already added a day to the trip....

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 12-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #1683
avg.joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
We could do the second wednesday if that gets more people out. Sweet car Wesley! Love the old Stangs.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #1684
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Old vehicles...

Started with a '42 Willys Jeep that served in WW2... my grandpa used it on the farm... I learned to steer and eventually work a clutch / brakes in it. Then I graduated to a forest green '56 Dodge truck that the Forestry sold to my grandpa when he left to go ranch.

In Grade 9, my dad and I had a mechanic come out to the farm, fix her up in our shop and declare her road worthy after sitting in a field for 20 years... the mice had destroyed the upholstery and she had a few dents. Drove the "Battle Wagon" back into Calgary (I had to plan my braking in advance when I drove it... so heavy and the drum brakes were marginal at best. I almost wanted to open the door and put my feet out to slow it down... I felt like Mad Max with the huge bumpers on it...) where I re-did the interior and did the body work to the point of paint. I didn't have the money to finish, so I sold her to the owner of the Dodge dealership in Cochrane as he was a bit of a collector. It is still sitting on one of his lots out there. Neat to drive by as I know the history...!

Moved on to a '66 Mustang in Grade 12 / first two years of university. Blue and white Pony interior - looks like the colour of yours was pretty close to mine. Had it restored in the shop at James Fowler HS. Sweet ride. Loved the 289 V8. The girls seemed to like it too ;) Miss her... sold her to one of my friends down the street. Then he got married and his wife crashed it on Deerfoot Trail (she couldn't drive) and he divorced her (not just because of that - she had many issues... but to crash a guys Mustang is a BIG strike against!) He left it sitting outside his house for years, then I moved away for 10 years, lost touch with him, and when I came back to Calgary, it was gone. Don't know if he sold it but I was always saddened to see it sit all beat up. I would buy it back if I could but I think she is long gone.

Wes, your 'Stang certainly brings back many fond memories... thanks! (PS What year is it?) Love to see it next spring!

Merry Christmas all!

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #1685
avg.joe
Adventurer

Quote:
(I had to plan my braking in advance when I drove it... so heavy and the drum brakes were marginal at best. I almost wanted to open the door and put my feet out to slow it down... I felt like Mad Max with the huge bumpers on it...)

Merry Christmas all!

Dean
This part. It made me laugh loud and proud. I had a '79 LWB Ex MOD Land Rover that was a nightmare to stop. Turns out years later, I figured out the brakes just needed to be adjusted. 2 pumps on the pedal before it would hold pressure for every stop. It made for some fun green laning!

Merry Xmas to you too!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #1686
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
physics of braking...

Yeah, I literally had to brace myself against the edge of the seat (exposed metal and springs due to the mice - not comfortable at the best of times; especially when trying to generate force because my life - literally - depended on it!) and push into the brake pedal with all my weight, using both feet... and then there was (what seemed like) a couple of second delay before anything happened. None of this immediate stopping nonsense! One couldn't describe these brakes as "touchy!" Hated to get her up to the speed limit as I knew that eventually I would have to get her slowed down / stopped. "A Battle Wagon in motion tends to remain in motion!"
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #1687
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley J View Post
If there's beer and motorcycle talk, I'm in. I think the 3rd Wednesday we're leaving for Death Valley. With the trip planning has come scope creep, we've already added a day to the trip....

Wes
Sorry I can't make it. I'm off to Colombia today for a month. Will be doing some riding while I'm there. If I get around to posting a report, I'll post a link here.

Have a good one!
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #1688
dirtduke
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Kettle Valley Railway

Happy New Year Everyone
I hope the dirt gods can smile on you.
The sun gods this year also!!

Has anyone run the kettle valley railway? It looks like it might be a good way to travel through B.C. or at least to something more technical?
dirtduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #1689
dave6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Calgary Guy does KVR

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595530

I also did the KVR and am from Calgary, here is a video I did.
http://vimeo.com/15413294
Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #1690
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,879
Nice Stuff!

Brings back memories. Good work.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #1691
Wesley J
Hoser

Quote:
Wes, your 'Stang certainly brings back many fond memories... thanks! (PS What year is it?) Love to see it next spring!

Merry Christmas all!

Dean
Its a '67 and is currently getting a heart transplant. A 500 HP fully aluminum 7500 rpm screamer of a 4.6L 4V Ford mod motor and 5 spd. Not to mention a completely new front clip (so I can fit 275's up front) that I'm building from scratch. Damn motorcycle trip is cutting into my welding time, fixing everyone else's junk ;-)

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #1692
Wesley J
Hoser

Hey Guys,

Is there any chance anyone has a trailer that will haul 2 dirt bikes that they'd be willing to lend or rent for a trip to Death Valley later this month?

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #1693
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,907
Does anyone here ride on the ice at Chestermere? I was up in Calgary a week ago or so, and walked what looked to be a nice twisty ice track.

Anyone have a stud gun they are willing to loan out? We screwed up a set of tires for a 530, and I got a set of Fredettes on the 525, but to be honest, I thing we both want to go carbide studs. The cheapie Cheng Shin we have on the 530 digs through snow better than the Fredette, and is a super predictable drifter as well. There's that and, we don't want to be limited to just ice.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #1694
MadMmmike
DBG

Oddometer: 181
couple fella's I know ride at chestermere, I finally got my bike prepped for the ice this week and will be out this weekend with a friend or two.......where abouts was this track you speak of?

We had a really sweet little pond-track goin' on for a year or so, but this year the land owner approached the bikes and told 'em they weren't welcome anymore, too many loud pipes showing up, bothering his neighbors....

Food for thought on the next loud aftermarket exhaust we all want to buy....

I suspect too many loud bikes on chestermere won't do us any favours either....
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #1695
avg.joe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMmmike View Post
couple fella's I know ride at chestermere, I finally got my bike prepped for the ice this week and will be out this weekend with a friend or two.......where abouts was this track you speak of?

We had a really sweet little pond-track goin' on for a year or so, but this year the land owner approached the bikes and told 'em they weren't welcome anymore, too many loud pipes showing up, bothering his neighbors....

Food for thought on the next loud aftermarket exhaust we all want to buy....

I suspect too many loud bikes on chestermere won't do us any favours either....
Loud bikes are going to get us all booted out if there isn't something done about it. You can still have nice sound without having to much loud!