User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #1846
MadMmmike
DBG

Oddometer: 181
Hey all you Calgary folk;

just a heads up that there's supermoto track night on monday, free to watch, not so free to ride, but whens that stop a bunch of highroller calgary folk?

hope anyone with interest is able to stop by and hang out, shoot the breeze and do a wheelie.

Mike

http://www.rockymountainmotards.com/
Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #1847
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
page 125 ?
you Calg guys/gals need to start a specific home page with breakdown catagories so's you can have an easier time at achiving...or is there already a site devoted to dual sport topic/bullitin boards in Calgary area?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #1848
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
I would really like to be down at Cypress ridin in the mud there!
14 riders showed up for the ADSMC dual sport ride in Cypress this weekend... even saw some sun and blue sky today. Nice break from the miserable weather all last week.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #1849
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Bluhduh

Finally today just this afternoon in fact the snow had melted in my yard. I'm so sick of this shit, and to make it worse a friend is posting his facebook status while riding LA, Death Valley on a rented 1200GS.

Asshole, talked about the lack of ATGATT and burning his knees in the 100 degree weather. Ahh puke!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #1850
Rellik
o-KAY!

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by calrider View Post
Now THAT is funny. Was the swamp donkey EVER shiny??
Quick, someone post a pic to set the record straight.

Hey, play nice, there are still MANY shiny...........patches! it is however running like a slobbery dog after I put the new pipes on, So I now get to familiarize myself with the art of Engine Control Unit zen.

Alan
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 AM   #1851
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
Hey, play nice, there are still MANY shiny...........patches! it is however running like a slobbery dog after I put the new pipes on, So I now get to familiarize myself with the art of Engine Control Unit zen.

Alan
The new pipes will make it more reliable...
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #1852
MadScotsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Question Gorge Creek Flat

Hey,

Went out Gorge Creek way yesterday and it wasn't too bad, except didn't get as far as we wanted due to a flat tire and not enough will or tools to change it, especially with the swarms of 'skeeters out there. Couple of guys passed us on an F800GS and KLR. Wonder how they made out!
To ride is to be!
MadScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #1853
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
What a wicked ride we had!

Being that both of us are more dirt bikers then dual sporters, we decided since the conditions were so good we'd do more trails then roads! The XRR's were set to impress as I'm always shocked with how fast these bikes can be on our trails, even with 4+gallons of gas. The tractable power and how the XRR's stick to their lines makes it a hoot to ride. Whooped out sections are a blast wheelieing through them.

BTW, the roads were dry and dusty. Some wash out sections on Wiaprous valley so be careful.

We did the transalta, river bottom, back to 40, down Wiaprous Valley on the legal side trails, over to Margarets lake, around the loop and back to Wiaprous Valley. On the trails we did find some water, mud and snow, but the biggest issues were the creek crossings. Some were waist deep so we had to scout different lines or different trails. Those little streams are flowing lots of water right now. Trail users have once again damaged the Margaret lake fence and driving their quads and bikes down to the lake shore. What does it take to stop these people and who's tearing the fence down?! Like proper trail users, we stopped at the fence and walked down, only to see the loudest quad I have ever heard tear by the fence, rip a nut on the "out of bounds" area, then go pealing past us as we were suiting up to ride again.

On top of this to start the ride we seen momma brown bear with four cubs in very close range! (after the ice flow on Transalta, once climbing the hill out of the valley they were right there in front of us at the corner once we got to the top of the hill) After that we seen approximately 7 deer which is always nice.

We had a friendly chat with the Fish & Wildlife. They checked us for papers and street legalness (we were on the river bed which is a shared on-road legal road only), all was good. One of the officer said dirt bikers riding illegal trails ran over him last week. They said they didn't stop and he took a elbow to the head as they went by. Shame on them. I'm glad they are out there enforcing the rules, but this should not be happening. Arsehats like that should be caught and receive a very stiff fine. We also seen people riding illegal trails and were questioned for descriptions of the two bikers riding the river ridgelines. I know those trails like the back of my hand from years riding them before closure. If they notified us sooner they were chasing them down I would have helped them catch the guys because I know all the points they could have come up from the river.

Unfortunatley no pictures from the ride because I accidentally left my camera at home. I did get some riding footage on my helmet cam that I will maybe make a short vid.

While staging we seen a F800GS (Yellow) and silver V-strom with pipes and a blue DRZ400 with aftermarket tank. Good on them for getting out riding on a beautiful day!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #1854
MadMmmike
DBG

Oddometer: 181
super duper moto at the kart track tonight, if yer bored and want cheap-as-free entertainment, stop by with some bug spray and check it out!

say "HI' if ya want, I'll be on the blue wr250 with a few scratches on it..black/white leathers.
\
Mike
Old 05-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #1855
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
What a wicked ride we had!

Being that both of us are more dirt bikers then dual sporters, we decided since the conditions were so good we'd do more trails then roads! The XRR's were set to impress as I'm always shocked with how fast these bikes can be on our trails, even with 4+gallons of gas. The tractable power and how the XRR's stick to their lines makes it a hoot to ride. Whooped out sections are a blast wheelieing through them.

BTW, the roads were dry and dusty. Some wash out sections on Wiaprous valley so be careful.

We did the transalta, river bottom, back to 40, down Wiaprous Valley on the legal side trails, over to Margarets lake, around the loop and back to Wiaprous Valley. On the trails we did find some water, mud and snow, but the biggest issues were the creek crossings. Some were waist deep so we had to scout different lines or different trails. Those little streams are flowing lots of water right now. Trail users have once again damaged the Margaret lake fence and driving their quads and bikes down to the lake shore. What does it take to stop these people and who's tearing the fence down?! Like proper trail users, we stopped at the fence and walked down, only to see the loudest quad I have ever heard tear by the fence, rip a nut on the "out of bounds" area, then go pealing past us as we were suiting up to ride again.

On top of this to start the ride we seen momma brown bear with four cubs in very close range! (after the ice flow on Transalta, once climbing the hill out of the valley they were right there in front of us at the corner once we got to the top of the hill) After that we seen approximately 7 deer which is always nice.

We had a friendly chat with the Fish & Wildlife. They checked us for papers and street legalness (we were on the river bed which is a shared on-road legal road only), all was good. One of the officer said dirt bikers riding illegal trails ran over him last week. They said they didn't stop and he took a elbow to the head as they went by. Shame on them. I'm glad they are out there enforcing the rules, but this should not be happening. Arsehats like that should be caught and receive a very stiff fine. We also seen people riding illegal trails and were questioned for descriptions of the two bikers riding the river ridgelines. I know those trails like the back of my hand from years riding them before closure. If they notified us sooner they were chasing them down I would have helped them catch the guys because I know all the points they could have come up from the river.

Unfortunately no pictures from the ride because I accidentally left my camera at home. I did get some riding footage on my helmet cam that I will maybe make a short vid.

While staging we seen a F800GS (Yellow) and silver V-strom with pipes and a blue DRZ400 with aftermarket tank. Good on them for getting out riding on a beautiful day!

Sounds like a great ride. I grew up out there and used to know those trails pretty good. Moved away in 1991 and been 'retired' from riding since last year. Don't know which trails are legal and which aren't. Are they marked at all once you get out there? I know there are maps available from the forestry service... are they current?

Two friends of mine worked for the forestry - one in Waiparous and one in Maclean creek. I used to help them route-find so they could learn the trails. In Maclean, we both almost got run over by guys not wanting to stop. We were able to catch up to them later that day... HUGE fines and bikes impounded. Now that there are Sheriff's patrolling out there, hopefully they can have some more authority and change them with more violations. People like the guy on the quad going where he shouldn't / people who rip down fences (at Margaret Lake, or wherever) / people almost running authority figures over... they are the reason we have legal and illegal trails. Soon there will be NO trails and we will all be screwed.

I have seen this first hand. They closed the campground down in Waiparous just over the first bridge (the Bible Camp road) when I was in junior or senior high. They said it was overuse; they were going to close it for 10 years to let the vegetation regenerate. In the meantime, they wanted people to move up to camp in Hunter's Valley. They were going to cut all kinds of new singletrack and put in a General Store to operate from May - September. Well, we signed a 'petition' agreeing to the 10-year closure provided the Forestry put in these new trails and infrastructure... and then look what happened. I heard a few trails were cut, but many more were (are) off-limits; the Bible Camp has never been opened; and I don't think they ever built a General Store (haven't been up that way, so please update me.)

I could relate more stories of stupidity / litter / damage / injury (Darwinism) / and overall blatant disrespect but I grow tired of idiocy. Grow up people or we will kill our own sport!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #1856
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
Sounds like a great ride. I grew up out there and used to know those trails pretty good. Moved away in 1991 and been 'retired' from riding since last year. Don't know which trails are legal and which aren't. Are they marked at all once you get out there? I know there are maps available from the forestry service... are they current?

Two friends of mine worked for the forestry - one in Waiparous and one in Maclean creek. I used to help them route-find so they could learn the trails. In Maclean, we both almost got run over by guys not wanting to stop. We were able to catch up to them later that day... HUGE fines and bikes impounded. Now that there are Sheriff's patrolling out there, hopefully they can have some more authority and change them with more violations. People like the guy on the quad going where he shouldn't / people who rip down fences (at Margaret Lake, or wherever) / people almost running authority figures over... they are the reason we have legal and illegal trails. Soon there will be NO trails and we will all be screwed.

I have seen this first hand. They closed the campground down in Waiparous just over the first bridge (the Bible Camp road) when I was in junior or senior high. They said it was overuse; they were going to close it for 10 years to let the vegetation regenerate. In the meantime, they wanted people to move up to camp in Hunter's Valley. They were going to cut all kinds of new singletrack and put in a General Store to operate from May - September. Well, we signed a 'petition' agreeing to the 10-year closure provided the Forestry put in these new trails and infrastructure... and then look what happened. I heard a few trails were cut, but many more were (are) off-limits; the Bible Camp has never been opened; and I don't think they ever built a General Store (haven't been up that way, so please update me.)

I could relate more stories of stupidity / litter / damage / injury (Darwinism) / and overall blatant disrespect but I grow tired of idiocy. Grow up people or we will kill our own sport!

Yes, I see it everytime I ride.

No store. I don't think they'd get the people to support a store. I'm surprised Mclean's store is still around.

Maps are in every Kiosk and are up to date. All intersections are numbered and signed for their use (ie, no trucks, ATV's, etc) and very easy to follow on the maps. When the FLUZ was introduced all motorcycle trails were closed AFTER they asked the clubs to GPS's all existing trails and provide them with the information to help determine if they are sustainable or not. Frankly they just used this information for petroling purposes once closed.

RMDRA was, and is the only group to sucessfully work with the government to open up a new trail which consisted of an old existing trail that required major work to clear bush back to the original trail AND make it sustainable their standards. Not an easy process and required 1000's of man hours. We hope to succeed in getting more trails and hence the purcahse and rebuild of a trailblazer unit.

Margaret Lake's fence was tore down and probably burnt because a lot of the lumber is no longer there. Sad that OHV users are so lazy that they can't walk the 150 odd feet to the waters edge, but feel the need to drive their equipment right up to the shore. I'm all for responsible OHV use, but I also enjoy the untouched outdoors and some *beep*'s can't be troubled to follow a few simple rules.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #1857
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Shibby, are you a member of RMDRA? I went to a meeting last year and I was impressed with the leadership presented at the meeting. It was good to see. Also good to hear they are working with the gov't to try to make a positive difference. When I get back into dirt biking (ie: when family starts to grow up and I have more time) I plan on joining and helping out. Until then, I will pick up litter when I head out.
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #1858
d_baldwin
This is fun.

Oddometer: 25
Thursday night ride

Hey all,

I finally am not busy with my son's lacrosse or work for once. Would like to get a ride in on Thursday night at Mclean. I ride a CRF450 so would need to be a trails ride.

Any takers?

Dave

2000 XR200R (bullet proof)

Future: VRF 800, Great DS bike like the 640 adventure
d_baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #1859
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_baldwin View Post
Hey all,

I finally am not busy with my son's lacrosse or work for once. Would like to get a ride in on Thursday night at Mclean. I ride a CRF450 so would need to be a trails ride.

Any takers?

Dave
Hay, Dave

Have you ever checked out the RMDRA , they do a weekly ride on Wed. nights, got to be a member though.

I'll be going on Wed., if is not pouring rain. Other wise I'd join you(might if Wed. does not happen)

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #1860
d_baldwin
This is fun.

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
Hay, Dave

Have you ever checked out the RMDRA , they do a weekly ride on Wed. nights, got to be a member though.

I'll be going on Wed., if is not pouring rain. Other wise I'd join you(might if Wed. does not happen)

Earl
Let me know if you skip tomorrow's night ride. Will PM you my cell and we can find a time to meet.

Dave

2000 XR200R (bullet proof)

Future: VRF 800, Great DS bike like the 640 adventure
d_baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote