Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #1966
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Any of you local dudes or dudettes going for a halloween ride today? Its +3 in Inglewood right now. Just took my DR out to get some coffee and had a sweet little hooligan ride. Fog factor is not too bad. Im guessing its going to be windy today but Im up for a fast fire road ride, maybe the Wildcat hills? Anyone?
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #1967
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Powderface

Rode it Sibbald to Elbow yesterday (2DRs) did not see a soul on a bike,a little bit of snow on the north end in the shade but a nice day for a ride all the same. Get out there this could be the last week!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #1968
Roughshod
weld proud

Sorry to say Lycan1 that wasnt me. I was confined to barracks...fixing a plumbing problem in the basement. So much for my grand scheme. I did get out again last night for another hooligan ride around town. I was happy to see a fair number of bikes out enjoying what may be the last few days before the big W. Hopefully we'll get some late season chinooks to keep the old man at bay. Maybe next weekend.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #1969
zoodio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I am in Calgary riding a 2011 KLR 650 and a 2006 Husqvarna WR250 the latter usually at Mclean Creek. Interested in doing some gold panning trips this summer coming and just some general scenic rides.
zoodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #1970
Roughshod
weld proud

Sounds inviting Zoolio, Im up for contributing to that. I know some great gold panning country. I worked from MacKenzie/Williston Lake/Ft.St. James over to The Bulkley and beyond for several years and have been planning a trip from Windy Point Lodge to Terrace via logging roads, then up the Nass and back east to Kispiox, etc. I know where the Ogden Mountain Jade mine is and many gold bearing creeks. (with respect to all the local claims of course) Hundreds of miles of fireroad riding.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #1971
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughshod View Post
Sounds inviting Zoolio, Im up for contributing to that. I know some great gold panning country. I worked from MacKenzie/Williston Lake/Ft.St. James over to The Bulkley and beyond for several years and have been planning a trip from Windy Point Lodge to Terrace via logging roads, then up the Nass and back east to Kispiox, etc. I know where the Ogden Mountain Jade mine is and many gold bearing creeks. (with respect to all the local claims of course) Hundreds of miles of fireroad riding.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #1972
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
New member, fairly new rider.

Hi everyone, bought a Honda XR650L mid way through last summer. Have been having fun riding the gravel roads/fire roads. Found out about Powderface trail and really enjoyed it. Would like to join up with some riders next spring and ride some fire roads and some of the easy trails at Waiprous or Maclean Creek.

Was looking at the blackfoot riding course and thought it was for adventure bikes mainly. I would like to take it if my bike is good to go.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #1973
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Lolo, Mt Dual Sport rally

It looks like there is going to be a Dual sport rally on Sept 15, 2012 in Lolo, MT. If anyone has ever been to the area it is a beautiful area for riding. I am planning on making the trip down. If you were to ride pavement all the way its about 700 kms each way. It is doable in a day but it would be a long day in the saddle. I am planning on taking 2 days to get there, (taking backroads, leave on Thursday), and then probably do the long pavement day home in 1 day or take 2 days back as well. Depending on work and if I can get the Monday off.

I just thought I would pass this along, its relatively close to Calgary and if people are interested they could book it in their schedule. If anyone is looking for someone to do the trip with let me know!

Here is a link to the thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750789

Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".

slabm7 screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 09:17 PM
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #1974
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,885
Took a Little Cruise Today!

Calgary area, 762, Plumbers Rd, Three Point Creek, Bragg Creek etc 200kms. All dry except for a couple short sections. Felt good to get back in the saddle on the big GS. HeeHAAAW!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #1975
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Got out for a ride today.

I read this thread from the start to see what I could learn about dual sporting in Calgary and discovered the neat area at the end of sarcee/shaganappi. Went there and rode around for a while and had a blast. Saw some people around but just went where they were not. I wanted to practise riding rough ground and some easy hill climbs on the big mounds of dirt. went into a bit of a valley and the way up was pretty loose dirt. I had to take a few runs to get back to the top. Was getting nervous on the third failed attempt to get up.

If the weather stays warm hopefully there will be more days of fun up there.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #1976
Ruprect
Got me a Big Red Pig

Oddometer: 83
XR650R riders ?

Anyone out there riding a plated 650R in Alberta ? I bought one hoping to convert it to D/S but have recently been advised it cant be done.

I love the bike and want to get out on all the great roads out by Bragg, Kananaskis, etc but I think I need to be registered to do it.

any advice ? Thx !

We're gonna need a bigger boat . . . . . . .
Ruprect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1977
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruprect View Post
Anyone out there riding a plated 650R in Alberta ? I bought one hoping to convert it to D/S but have recently been advised it cant be done.

I love the bike and want to get out on all the great roads out by Bragg, Kananaskis, etc but I think I need to be registered to do it.

any advice ? Thx !
Check your pm, lots of details...
Jason
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #1978
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 676
FYI: Princess Auto Motorcycle Hitch Carrier on Sale

Hi All,

Just thought I'd give you all a little FYI that Princess Auto's motorcycle hitch carrier is on sale right now for $89.99. I bought one last year and it works fine. Probably can't even buy the steel for that much. ;-)

Cheers
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #1979
cdnarcher
Got Dirt?

Oddometer: 36
Thumb

Hey guys and girls! I am new to the forum and new to Dual Sport/Adventure riding, although I have been riding MX and street for many years.

I just bought myself a brand spanking new '11 KLR 650 and I pick it up on Friday. Soon, I will be looking for groups and individuals to show me the world of Adventure Riding. Sooooo, chime in if you are from the Calgary area and like riding with new people. I am in Airdrie, btw.

'11 KLR 650

Ride hard,Play Hard, Live hard. Life only happens once.
cdnarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #1980
cdnarcher
Got Dirt?

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I'll watch out for you, what color is the KiLR. I have a buddy in Airdrie with an 09 KLR. We go riding out around Waiprous from time to time. I'll post up here next time out. Tim's in Cochrane is the usual meet up place on a Saturday morning.
It is a Shiny Orange. The rider is one tall drink of water sporting a Red Dual Sport Helmet. Hope to meet up with you guys soon.

'11 KLR 650

Ride hard,Play Hard, Live hard. Life only happens once.
cdnarcher is offline   Reply With Quote