Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #2326
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Nope - mine's a 2001.

That must have been interesting going from a KDX to an XRR...
Yeah it was a bit of an adjustment... The kdx was loads of fun though, lots of lowend grunt for a 2 stroke... Good choice of bike.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #2327
Sapper33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I rode Powderface last nigh. Road was in good shape, a few slimey spots on some of the hills, but even with the rain it was 95% dry.

Hwy 68 looked like it actually had a grader over it in the last few days too.
Sapper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #2328
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Anyone have a big adventure planned for the weekend?

Hi, I just took the Blackfoot GS course last week and am looking forward to trying out the techniques. I would like to try the powderface and go through some of moose mountain if anybody is game. I can find powderface but have never been through moose mountain area before. With a full tank of gas I am sure I wouldn't get hopelessly lost trying to get through the moose mountain trails. I don't have a day picked to ride this weekend but would pick the one based on who else has a trip planned.

The GS course was really fun. It was of course aimed at the 650 800 and 1200 BMW GS bikes. I felt like I was cheating riding the XR650L. We did this crazy warm up where we would stand on only one foot peg, then use only one hand, then ride with one foot on the opposite foot peg while holding only the throttle on the bars. WE did some slow controlled riding, counter leaning around cones, hill climbs and descents. One of the neatest things that caused the most downed bikes was the "rut simulator" It was a long board with 2X4 s screwed into the sides so that once you were in the "rut" it was either get to the other end or do your best to keep your bike upright and get out of it. (most tipped over at least once during the drill). It was a great lesson in looking forward once into the rut. Once you could get through the rut they wanted you to go as slow as possible, then when you could do that they wanted you to turn sharply once you exited. It was great fun.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #2329
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I hope to be able to join you. Sunday is looking better, weatherwise. I've got a fairly narrow window of time available on Saturday (I'd be available from shortly after noon to about 5:00 PM).

As you already know, I'm not familiar with most of the trails west of Calgary, but sure want to take advantage of opportunities to ride different trails when offered.

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #2330
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Ian, if we are lucky somebody will join in that has been out there before. If not it will be fun exploring. Should have much less dust than our last ride.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #2331
DasLorne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper33 View Post
I rode Powderface last nigh. Road was in good shape, a few slimey spots on some of the hills, but even with the rain it was 95% dry.

Hwy 68 looked like it actually had a grader over it in the last few days too.
I was out on 68 this morning and it is in pretty good shape.

Once a cruiserer, now dual-sporter! Is that even allowed?
DasLorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #2332
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
A bunch of us did powder face a few days ago. Great weather, but some sections were slimy and deep. Be careful, that ball bearing like shit sometimes makes you wide on the corners. My first time there. It's beautiful. I was up Spay Lakes road on the Canmore side today. They are placing fresh deep gravel. Increase your riding skills on that crap. Someone here once said Alberta has no shortage on gravel. And that's the truth.

Great day for a ride. I placed a power commander in my F800GS after the ride, I need to take it back up there Friday, see if it makes any difference on the dirt with that twitchy little throttle.

See you FKRS in the dirt. Be safe

Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #2333
DasLorne
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Letting your inner explorer free is Always allowed! I'd rather rinse off mud than polish chrome any day.
Indeed. There are are too many trails and not enough roads around here. Thus the dual sport
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2334
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I was a sportbikerer, then a cruiserer now a dualsporterer... prob is that my sportbike and cruiser all kinda look like my dual sport... not clean

Maybe I was born a dualsporterer and have just been faking it all these years
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #2335
DasLorne
Adventurer

I wish I would have started on the dual sport. It is so much mote fun!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #2336
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasLorne View Post
I wish I would have started on the dual sport. It is so much mote fun!
Truer word were never spoken

Man, I simply cannot believe how well my old DR handles, how capable it is off road and how (reasonably!) comfortable it is commuting and tripping. Dang, these things are cheap, can crash cheaply, are cheap to fix and you can go anywhere... and this is a DR
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #2337
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
DualSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by payner View Post

Man, I simply cannot believe how well my old DR handles, how capable it is off road and how (reasonably!) comfortable it is commuting and tripping. Dang, these things are cheap, can crash cheaply, are cheap to fix and you can go anywhere... and this is a DR
And with a few mods comfortable and capable, hit the powderface early Sunday not a soul to be seen and dry
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #2338
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by payner View Post

Amen! My non-motorcycling friends ask me if I'm not afraid to crash. I tell them I'm usually off the bike at least once on every ride! If you're not crashing, you're not getting any better.
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #2339
Steve Young
A Scotsman in Canada

Oddometer: 99
Offroad plate / liability insurance question

Hey guys, girls,

Looking for some info, as not used to laws in Alberta. I have recently got hold of an old 1973 Honda TL trials bike. It is now running and I'm wanting to take it out to Mclean Creek or similar for a putt around. I believe for Crown land I need to have liability insurance and get it registered with an offroad plate. Also heard I need to fit lights to it !!
Whats the deal ?? Any info would be much appreciated. I haven't spoke to the registry office yet. I thought I'd throw it out here first.

Regards Steve
Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #2340
shiskowd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Young View Post
Hey guys, girls,

Looking for some info, as not used to laws in Alberta. I have recently got hold of an old 1973 Honda TL trials bike. It is now running and I'm wanting to take it out to Mclean Creek or similar for a putt around. I believe for Crown land I need to have liability insurance and get it registered with an offroad plate. Also heard I need to fit lights to it !!
Whats the deal ?? Any info would be much appreciated. I haven't spoke to the registry office yet. I thought I'd throw it out here first.

Regards Steve
Yup - your right on all accounts. You need the bike registered in Alberta, to get that you need liability insurance. To ride at an Alberta designated off highway recreation area you need to show the license plate and have lights front and back. You can get creative regarding the lights - battery powered, etc.
2005 450 EXC
shiskowd is offline   Reply With Quote