Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #2446
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
It's highway 532 that goes from just past Longview over to the junction at 740/40 and over to Coleman. I was just there yesterday. The road is in good shape and there is a good view from the side closest to highway 22 (Longview).

You can also sneak up a ways on the Cataract Creek road. Really good views of the western slopes of the Rockies on the Fernie side - it is closed where it wraps around to the forestry trunk road but is actually open on the west side. I found out it was closed when I went all the way around to the gate (south to north) and snuck past the gate to get out.

Powderface trail goes from the end of highway 66 (stop at Elbow Falls - quite pretty) all the way to highway 68 and you can head into Kananaskis. Pretty easy going with a few nice views along the way.

The Spray Lake Road goes from Kananaskis over into Canmore - quite scenic, good fishing.

The Backroads Alberta Book is pretty helpful for finding gravel roads. I'm sure others have plenty of suggestions of places to ride as well.
Thanks for the tips...I think checking out the south west is the next direction for me. I need to check with the moderator here...I posted replies to all the comments, but only the one short one went through, the others needed to be approved first and haven't showed up. Is there usualluy a few days lag for posting? I don't want to re-post and then have two versions. Actually, I guess I could always delete repeats...
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #2447
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
FOR SALE:

Metzler Tourance (Front and Back) from my BMW 650GS Sertao - $175 OBO (both)

90/90 R21 front and
130/80 R17 rear

I know this should go into the flea market, but I don't want to ship, so I thought I would offer it here.

They were taken off my new Sertao after 1300km (break in period), they are in great shape. I just prefer more dirt oriented tire so I know they will just sit in my garage indefinitely.

PM me if interested, I'll delete this post if they are sold.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #2448
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Slick tires in mud

Good call to get dirt tires. I was very nervous for you when I saw you spinning through a mud hole. Would be good tires for somebody who stays out of the mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
FOR SALE:

Metzler Tourance (Front and Back) from my BMW 650GS Sertao - $175 OBO (both)

90/90 R21 front and
130/80 R17 rear

I know this should go into the flea market, but I don't want to ship, so I thought I would offer it here.

They were taken off my new Sertao after 1300km (break in period), they are in great shape. I just prefer more dirt oriented tire so I know they will just sit in my garage indefinitely.

PM me if interested, I'll delete this post if they are sold.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #2449
trav520
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
i'll be riding out of Canmore next week! Will be in the area on 'business' for a few days and found some time to ride. I've been following this thread for a month or so and just wanted to say thanks for the ideas of where to ride. Planning on doing an overnight, not sure where yet. Can you make an overnight out of powderface or would my time be better spent elsewhere?
Will be on a rented KLR 650 so i'm not looking to tear it up but I'm up for some hills and dirt! I ride dirt in the mountains back home so my skill is decent. Any suggestions? Just saw the post on backwoods alberta mapbooks. probably a little late for me to order.
trav520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #2450
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 364
Thumb Overnight on Powderface

Powderface trail is not that long a ride but if you followed the 1A back towards Cochrane and went north on the trunk road your options on only limited by time. You should be able to pick up a Backwoods map book at a gas station or more likely a Fly shop in Canmore. Have fun on your adventure keep in mind when camping that there are teddies around so take the usual precautions with your camp.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #2451
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,735
trav520

The best dirt road riding around Canmore would be to head up to the Spray Lakes Rd heading south right out of Canmore. Just look up and south and you;ll see the road. Follow it to the end about 100kms. When you hit the pavement again you will be on Upper and Lower Kananskis Rd. Turn right and go exploring to the Lakes. Nice twisty blacktop about 20km to the top. Its a dead end but definitely worth it. Later come back down and shoot right past Spray Lakes Rd to the #40 the Kananaskis Highway and head north/left and stay on it for about 60km or so. You will be on the highest paved road in Canada at 7200ft. Carry on to #68 on your right (dirt)
and follow that to the west end of Powderface Tr. Take the Powderface to the end. 35 km or so. Once you hit the pavement again,take a right to Forgetmenot Pond 1km. Get off the bike and walk in 100yds. Beautiful. After that come back to where you came out on Powderface and turn right onto the pavement which will take you to Elbow Falls and onto Bragg Creek. There is lots more you can do and see around there but I'll just give you a loop back to Canmore. From Bragg Creek take #22 to Cochrane and from Cochrane the #1A west back to Canmore. That should be about 300kms altogether. A good day ride and you'll see some of our best stuff. We have plenty of trail riding around McLean Creek/Bragg Creek but this route is 50/50 gravel rd/bumpy paved road.Good day ride!!!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #2452
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
trav 520 maps of alberta

You may be able to get a southern alberta backroads map at a gas station or pharmacy. If not, the route that RED CAT describes is visible on my MAPART PUBLISHING CANADIAN ROCKIES RANGE AND TOWNSHIP ROAD MAP. You will surely be able to find that map.

The RED CAT route sounds great. You will go right past Mclean Creek, if you get tempted to ride around there be aware that many of the mud holes like to swallow heavey bikes, and many have sticks hidden under the mud that can screw you over if you hang up on one.

Enjoy your ride.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #2453
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,735
Gray Creek Pass!

Anyone know if its open yet?
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #2454
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Xcal,

Sadly there isn't any alpine riding around Calgary. The closest you will get is the 532 and one pass down near Elkford.

BC is your best option. Paradise mine is just barely alpine and an easy ride. Clear with Toby creek before riding.

The XRR is very capable. I've put over 30,000 on mine from tight flowing single track, ugly bush wacking, Baja multiple times, Moab multiple times (here now) and adventure riding down to Guatemala and back. It is, in my opinion one of the most capable bikes.

Just finished Gemini bridges and white rim trail today in 38 degree heat. Wheels were in the air more then on the ground. Wicked fun on the XRR. I've also done poison spider, rust nail, Moab rim, metal masher, slick rock, etc all without problems, help, or dropping it. Not many bikes can do all that, have the mileage I do trouble free and see the places I have.

Customize the bike the way you want. You will like the freedom it brings. A 950 will have you stick on boring roads with plenty of gas stations.

Bed time. Blackbear pass and engineer pass in the comming days on my way back to the CDT.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #2455
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Xcal,

Sadly there isn't any alpine riding around Calgary. The closest you will get is the 532 and one pass down near Elkford.

BC is your best option. Paradise mine is just barely alpine and an easy ride. Clear with Toby creek before riding.

The XRR is very capable. I've put over 30,000 on mine from tight flowing single track, ugly bush wacking, Baja multiple times, Moab multiple times (here now) and adventure riding down to Guatemala and back. It is, in my opinion one of the most capable bikes.

Just finished Gemini bridges and white rim trail today in 38 degree heat. Wheels were in the air more then on the ground. Wicked fun on the XRR. I've also done poison spider, rust nail, Moab rim, metal masher, slick rock, etc all without problems, help, or dropping it. Not many bikes can do all that, have the mileage I do trouble free and see the places I have.

Customize the bike the way you want. You will like the freedom it brings. A 950 will have you stick on boring roads with plenty of gas stations.

Bed time. Blackbear pass and engineer pass in the comming days on my way back to the CDT.

Sounds like an awesome run you are on! Yeah, I can see Utah being at 38 right now...good to know the XRR can handle it. I'm really getting into the bike, it seems to handle very well...I was on 68 after doing Powderface, running it a bit on a paved part at about 120kph, and then (to my surprise) hit gravel again...after some air time I came down to find it still totally stable at speed on the rough. Even rear wheel steering is nice and predictable. I have a good rear rack now and a set of Oxford bags which are working very well - I think I'm going to like this bike.

532 is my next road for sure. I've looked over the Ibycus maps, and I think I can see how to get up 143a back to 40, but how about getting to some of the Forestry roads in the area, like the Elk River Road...is it a good place to explore?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #2456
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Not sure about the road. I'd have to see on a map.

If your suspension hasn't been revalved and sprung it is very much worth it. I did that and:

Added windscreen for touring
Tm-40 carb
Giant loop coyote
Giant loop tank wrap
Wolf man expedition panniers
Complete rear steel subframe
Crf fender
Wolf man front fender bag
Pro taper bars
Moose bark busters
Risers that go forward as well
Full fmf exhaust
Skid plate
Acerbis tank (I have a Clarke too that I don't use)
Rad guards
Tanker brace
Pegs
Seat concept seat
Led taillight
My own wiring system
8" hid trail tech race light
Spal 4" fan
Etc, etc.

The bikes are so flexible to allow you to customize to your liking. Like a blank sheet of paper.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #2457
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 364
Thumb Elk lakes road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post

Sounds like an awesome run you are on! Yeah, I can see Utah being at 38 right now...good to know the XRR can handle it. I'm really getting into the bike, it seems to handle very well...I was on 68 after doing Powderface, running it a bit on a paved part at about 120kph, and then (to my surprise) hit gravel again...after some air time I came down to find it still totally stable at speed on the rough. Even rear wheel steering is nice and predictable. I have a good rear rack now and a set of Oxford bags which are working very well - I think I'm going to like this bike.

532 is my next road for sure. I've looked over the Ibycus maps, and I think I can see how to get up 143a back to 40, but how about getting to some of the Forestry roads in the area, like the Elk River Road...is it a good place to explore?
Great ride with lots of side trails off it and of course some great fishing take a fly rod along you won't regret it. There was a time (70's) when you could start at Bragg Creek and ride up and over past Elbow lake down to Kanaskis lakes and follow the power line up and over to Elk Lakes all legal.....man I'm getting old
Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #2458
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Range road 143a is secondary road 940. Or the forestry trunk road.
morerpmfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #2459
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Well that could have gone better...although I guess it could have gone worse too. After so many great suggestions, I had to head out this morning to check out the SW. I didn't have to be at work until this afternoon so I got up at 5 am and headed to 532. Sure enough an awesome route... now, I knew my chain is near the end of its days, but it started sounding really loose on the dirt, but then kept on getting looser the further I went. Stopping to check it out I was totally shocked to realize my sprocket is actually made of aluminum...I know now this is pretty common, I was just in the R1/titanium/moly mindset still I guess. Sure enough I now had 0 teeth left. Even being aluminum I'm pretty surprised how fast the chain ripped them all off once it started going. Now that it was a belt drive, I barely got it back to 22 and then pushed it into cell phone signal range. After 3 hours of sitting behind the Acerbis tank for shade, the support vehicle (my wife in the Jeep) arrived with a spare old sprocket and real tools, and after another hour for the roadside sprocket change (how much loctite do you need on locking nuts...) I finally got it back home.

So off to the XRR thread and figure out the most bulletproof sprocket...then right back to 532!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #2460
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post

So off to the XRR thread and figure out the most bulletproof sprocket...then right back to 532!
ironman are the longest lasting. Second option would be a steel primary drive for cheap, long lasting sprocket.