User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #2506
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
thanks.
that's cutting it a little close for an after supper ride then...depending on how fast I can eat.
that, and if one were to have 'issues' the ride home in the dark could be interesting.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #2507
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg the pole View Post
hi All,

i'm heading to BC on the 23 of august, nothing crazy, i'm on a super tenere, so nothing too technical.
longview south to hwy 40, to hook up with the forestry trunk road, to coleman (or south to 532 to catch the gravel to coleman), on to kimberley, to st. mary's road, and west to vernon (hwy 6), on to summerland (via west lake road) on to princeton via gravel, from there to merritt via gravel, on to tappen/salmon arm via douglas lake road.
3 day ride max, I plan to be in salmon arm saturday sometime, at which time im heading west with my wife on a two up ride to van island

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...85396,0.153637

Looks like you're planning on going over the gray creek pass, if you are on a super tenere you may want to have a look at the gray creek thread. A few large mudslides over that pass that my be tricky solo on a super tenere.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...360569&page=12

Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #2508
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby!
Run a 45 or higher rear will make it much easier. I have 46 now and it's as low as I'd go. If I need a trail day it's 14/46 instead of dual sport 15/46.

Yes, when dirt biking (not dual sporting) I will go through 3 liters in 3 hours. We tend to do the ugliest stuff we can find though but it goes to show if you need it, you should have it. In Moab we did the WRT in 40 degree heat. Drank 7 liters on the ride and another two when we got back.

As for XRR suspension, if it hasn't been changed do it ASAP. It's utter crap. Wait till you drain the oil and see what's in there. You'll know why it's called "whale snot".

To save money you don't need new springs but could use spacers. Bumping UP spring rate will help huge with the tank too. You'll have to adjust your valving at the same time. The shock will also help too. Makes it a completely different bike. When I first bought mine I was scared at speed too. Pot holes were dangerous. Now they are no problem. My bike is a bit soft with no luggage, but with luggage it's better. Doesn't blow through the stroke as much so it's more responsive. Keep in mind I'm used to dirt bikes that aren't couches and enjoy relatively stiff settings for single track.

If you want, I think I have a rear shock spring thats.... 10.5kg? It's the same that's on my bike now. I also have a spare set of springs. I have to look they might be rated higher in which case I'd sell my cut/spaced springs which you can feel while they are still in the bike.

Check out borynacks site, order the shims you need from MXtech and get those forks valved and sprung at the minimum. It's money well spent! Shims are cheap but keep in mind you need TWICE the qty for forks. A lot of people only order the valving for one fork. haha. Good oil can be expensive. Belray and Motul I'd use. Motul Racing is what I have in there but it's a bit ridiculous in price. Belray is harder to find but way cheaper. Shock oil is specific and our shocks are pretty easy to bleed. Takes patience and I'll put money on it you soak your garage in oil at least once.

I should get to bed. I need to ride in 7 hours...

Been swamped with work, but wanted to say thanks for the tips Shibby - I checked and I have 47 kg Eibach springs (which I think are about right for my 215lbs, especially with the tank), but I don't know the oil or valve situation. Plus I recall when I bought the bike, the previous owner said something about the pre-load adjusters not doing anything - not sure if he meant they just don't change things much, or that there was something wrong inside the fork. With the rear, I'll check the spring on it but I might need an 11 or 11.5 (thanks). Also with the rear shock, he said he filled it with air (not nitrogen), so I'm not sure if that is affecting things. Borynacks site is awesome, and this will be a winter project for me. And it sounds like a 46T rear sprocket is what I'll be ordering next.

Thanks for posting the pictures...I remember many of the puddles from the day before! That is a really good run for testing equipment and skill out, not super hard but challenging and varied. In SoCal we had a place we'd go called "The Proving Grounds"...a set of roads with different conditions that let you know exactly what you and your machine were capable of; this route kinda reminds me of that.

Had to post one more picture from that trip of flossandfly, balls to the wall as usual - note how the splash from his bike is 2 lengths back; that's how he keeps his bike so clean!

XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #2509
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
Shibby! (or others)
How long does that Margaret Lake loop take from the trunk road?
It looks interesting but I'm pressed for big blocks of time for the next while...
Thanks

We started around 11 from Cochrane and were done riding the trail around 3:30. Lots of talking, stopping, and helping eachother. We still had to ride back though.

3 hours is probably still do-able, maybe less. The longest part is getting there and back. The loop itself can be done in 30 minutes if you are hauling ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post

Been swamped with work, but wanted to say thanks for the tips Shibby - I checked and I have 47 kg Eibach springs (which I think are about right for my 215lbs, especially with the tank), but I don't know the oil or valve situation. Plus I recall when I bought the bike, the previous owner said something about the pre-load adjusters not doing anything - not sure if he meant they just don't change things much, or that there was something wrong inside the fork. With the rear, I'll check the spring on it but I might need an 11 or 11.5 (thanks). Also with the rear shock, he said he filled it with air (not nitrogen), so I'm not sure if that is affecting things. Borynacks site is awesome, and this will be a winter project for me. And it sounds like a 46T rear sprocket is what I'll be ordering next.

Thanks for posting the pictures...I remember many of the puddles from the day before! That is a really good run for testing equipment and skill out, not super hard but challenging and varied. In SoCal we had a place we'd go called "The Proving Grounds"...a set of roads with different conditions that let you know exactly what you and your machine were capable of; this route kinda reminds me of that.

Had to post one more picture from that trip of flossandfly, balls to the wall as usual - note how the splash from his bike is 2 lengths back; that's how he keeps his bike so clean!

Looks like fun!

Our proving grounds are a little different out here =) It definitely separates the variance in skill. Talk only lasts so long!

46 tooth is good for normal riding out here. I stalled my bike twice on the Margaret Loop, but both of those times I was being silly riding up ledges, etc. It does demand more clutch, or at least being ready to stab it if required. I did like my 47 better but the 5KM of cruising speed on highway makes it easier to hang with slower moving traffic so you aren't so much a obstacle on the road for faster cars.

Most (if not all?) dirt bikes don't have preload adjustment. It is what it is. On these particular forks you don't have high speed or low speed adjustment either. You get preload and rebound adjustment. A small variance in preload can be added with spacers, but you have to make sure the coil won't become solid at full stroke.

If the valving isn't working for some reason then there is something wrong internally. With the springs you have the valving should be smooth if the oil was changed. If they didn't change the oil then that could be the issue since it's seriously gross. Imagine whale snot... Fork fluid should be very viscous and not thick and gooey.

The shock should not be charged with air. It'll work, but because air is easily affected by temperatures, you shock will never be the same, or as dependable as it should. Shock oil can get hot! That heat is transferred to the air, the air expands and your dampening is out the door. When you rebuild the shock (if you plan to), or if you just want to put nitrogen in let me know. Few guys on RMDRA have the nitrogen set-up and will do it for 30$ I think. No idea what a suspension shop will do it for. If I remember correctly factory specs call for around 170PSI, but Borynack says 200psi. Have this info handy when you do it IF you revalve to his settings.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 10:27 AM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #2510
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
thank you everyone for the fun trips....

im off early monday morning....time to head back to work.
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #2511
rokdktr
Adventure North

Oddometer: 190
No time this weekend, but maybe next week......I have some more goodies to throw on, then well go practice that foot path with the roots again!!!

Super fun.....specially on a 950....hahaha

(pics and vids later.....sorry man...hail damage just wrecked my week)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #2512
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Saturday ride to margaret lake

Some guys seem open to a ride this weekend. How about Margaret lake on Saturday? I know a group just went but it looked awesome in the pictures. I have a gps track that will get us as far as the first water crossing, then I am not sure. Hopefully somebody can come who knows the rest of the way.

10:00 am at tim hortons in cochrane?

Can always change the ride or the meet time/location. Just wanted to put out a plan.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #2513
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Count me in! What is the anticipated round-trip distance from Cochrane? I'm trying to determine whether I need to carry any extra fuel.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Some guys seem open to a ride this weekend. How about Margaret lake on Saturday? I know a group just went but it looked awesome in the pictures. I have a gps track that will get us as far as the first water crossing, then I am not sure. Hopefully somebody can come who knows the rest of the way.

Can always change the ride or the meet time/location. Just wanted to put out a plan.
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #2514
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I might be on Waiparous Valley Road camping.

At the water crossing (just follow the river all the way down the braided trails) head north and back east on the cutline. Take your SECOND left turn. There will be a sign talking about winter closure at this intersection if you were to proceed straight east.

Follow the trail all along past Margaret lake. You'll then come up to an intersection where you have the option of turning left across a meadow/valley. Keep going straight (east). You come up to another T intersection facing south. This is where I made a mistake and didn't return on my normal route. For information purposes I'll say to make a LEFT here, followed by your next immediate RIGHT at the bottom of the "valley". You'll be heading south now.

At this point you come up to a Y. Both take you to the same spot but going left has puddles and no mud. I suggest this way to avoid the sensitive area even if some of the puddles are pretty deep. Skirt the sides and you should be fine. Axle deep at most. (at least the way we went). One "side rut" looked easy but the very small puddle it had on it was VERY deep. I suggest caution on that line. I also had issues on another side rut and found it to very deep with clay mud that packed my wheel after Margaret Lake. I had to pull my bike back out of that one. All the puddles are hard bottom, but some can be deep! Two after Margaret Lake got pretty deep. One is the stream I was worried about. I rode the bank but watched those who went through the puddle/stream and it was deep enough I didn't want to do it.

And as always, word of caution. The pictures shown don't show the technical areas. The trail has it's fair share of rocky hill climbs and steep rocky descents.

I might want to tackle Pretty Rock this weekend but it's more technical than Margaret Lake with steeper hills and more rocks/mud. The final view is pretty nice though! I'm not opposed to doing Margaret Lake again, but would like to try something new. I haven't been up to Pretty Rock in a few years, and even then I was only there once.

Shibby! screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 11:37 AM
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #2515
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Some of the ruts on the last climb to pretty rock are a little deeper from runoff.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #2516
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I could be a possible for Saturday to Margaret Lake. Two of us went out there yesterday evening. What a blast. Three dismounts, countless puddles gone through/around. Nothing too difficult for our bikes (800GS with K60s and Versys with Distanzias). No real mud and the hills were primarily dirt although some were a little rocky.

From Tuscany it was 187km and it took us 3:45 round trip with few stops. Cochrane would cut 40km and 40 minutes off of our route. A more relaxed pace/more people will add to that time...Fewer bike orientation error adjustments (and more skill) can definitely cut that down a bit. We left at 6pm which meant that daylight ended about an hour before we got back - should have put the clear shield on the helmet. The main road in, Wiaparous Valley Road I think, had a bunch of wood matting on it in several places and quite a bit of traffic from some drilling operations.

If you want the GPX file I can send it to anyone who wants it. It does have a little navigational detour on it that I will eventually learn how to remove.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #2517
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
cochrane timmies tomorrow 10 AM to Margaret lake

A few guys are good to go. I got a garmin track from Calgary06 loaded onto my gps so we should be good for directions. If nobody knows the way we should still be fine. A few different types of bikes should make it interesting.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #2518
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Thanks for the ride. It was a good group and a good pace.

Sorry I couldn't make it for refreshments after. I had to go back to the Richardson Road intersection to look for my sunglasses. No luck. If they fell onto the road someone may have picked them up but they'll get a headache if they wear them as they are prescription glasses (an old pair that actually fits inside my helmet). By the time I got to Cochrane it was late enough that I continued on to home.

Ian

Quote:
A few guys are good to go. I got a garmin track from Calgary06 loaded onto my gps so we should be good for directions. If nobody knows the way we should still be fine. A few different types of bikes should make it interesting.
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #2519
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like a good time!

I must have just missed you guys. I was along Waiparous Valley River for awhile yesterday afternoon. I was in my 4runner though.

I'm free to ride whenever. Should get my bike cleaned up and oil changed/valved checked, but that doesn't take long. Just need to find my filters...

Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #2520
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

As a general note, the last picture of the bikes by the lake is, or at least was illegal. I know signs are missing but that fence and parking area are there for a reason. People tore down the fences, and I assume the signs.

Try to keep following this rule to prevent others from thinking it's ok. I've notified the SRD about the condition of the fence and signs and even volunteered to fix it with no response from them.

Did you guys do a complete loop or back track? The loop is open to ATV's and Motorcycles during the summer too. 4x4's at that point are required to turn around.