Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #2851
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
I was there once for the blackfoot offroad training and it was a pretty neat place. You should be able to call for conditions.

Phone: 403.240.4025
(24 hrs Information Hotline)
Track: 403.258.1883

I always wanted to go back and maybe a few days into a chinook would be good. I will for sure PM you if I plan to go. Will probably post up here too. Always more fun when there are people to help me get my bike back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Thanks, I'm totally psyched about it. I did finally get the XRR running well on gravel, tuning the suspension helped a lot (it was way too stiff), but the biggest improvement was lowering the air pressure in the tires. Night and day. We'll see how the KTM compares off-road, but so far I'm thinking it might not be too bad. When I was out there like an idiot trying to ride it in the snow I was obviously paranoid about dropping it first time out, but after a few minutes of getting more and more frustrated with the rear tire spinning all the time I found that even with zero traction it was nicely balanced and didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. I pulled off the MT90 last night and put on the TKC just for good measure - damn, what's with breaking the bead on the Scorpions? I had to put the XRR's side stand on the tire wall and lift the whole bike onto it to get it off the rim!

Anyway the MX park sounds like an excellent idea, I still haven't been. Drop me a msg if you ever head out there, sounds like a perfect place to practice.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #2852
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I'm sure you will (get to ride with the Orange Dragons). I have been busy plotting out this coming summers "Big Trip". I am planning on a 90 % off-road trip through Montana, Idaho and into Wyoming along the Continental Divide, then looping back via the back roads of Idaho, into Oregon's northeast and into the Kooteneys. It will be late July and early August, so keep it in mind. I will send you the tracks once I have finished creating them. The first one is done on Dualsport maps( Elk City to Salmon to Clark Canyon MT). I am using Big Dogs CDT track to go from Eureka MT down to Yellowstone to start.
The "Big Trip" sounds awesome but would be harder to find time for. Do you have a "medium trip" planned? I am going to look on dual sport maps right now.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #2853
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
The "Big Trip" sounds awesome but would be harder to find time for. Do you have a "medium trip" planned? I am going to look on dual sport maps right now.
I am planning the trip so there are "jumping off" points along the way. This way other riders that are interested in some, but not all (or have time constraints) can ride along for part of it. I will be doing 2 weeks either at the end of July, or last week of July first week of August.

I still plan a week in September to do the BCBATR 2013. and will be out every week end. Maybe a long weekend trip in the Kooteneys. There is lots to ride there.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #2854
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Count me in for at least the first week (assuming your acceptance criteria are low enough to include someone like me).

My wife and I have been discussing our upcoming summer plans. She'll be at a fly-in moutaineering camp with the Alpine Club of Canada around the same time so I'm hoping your ride and her camp coincide.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I am planning the trip so there are "jumping off" points along the way. This way other riders that are interested in some, but not all (or have time constraints) can ride along for part of it. I will be doing 2 weeks either at the end of July, or last week of July first week of August.

I still plan a week in September to do the BCBATR 2013. and will be out every week end. Maybe a long weekend trip in the Kooteneys. There is lots to ride there.
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #2855
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanInCalgary View Post
Count me in for at least the first week (assuming your acceptance criteria are low enough to include someone like me).

My wife and I have been discussing our upcoming summer plans. She'll be at a fly-in mountaineering camp with the Alpine Club of Canada around the same time so I'm hoping your ride and her camp coincide.

Ian
Sounds good Ian! I will post up a picture of the whole route when I get the tracks all finished. Once I get the tracks all built I will send you a link to them (Warren as well). If you look on www.dualsportmaps.com you will find the Continental divide route (northern section that starts near Eureka Montana) That is the start of the US section. I am planning on back-roading it south of #3 in the Corbin area (also on dualsport map site) before getting to the border. As little time on pavement as possible. Camping when dry weather, with the option of Cabin / Motel as necessary.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #2856
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Read some of the Mobius trip ride report. Looks neat. I BCBTR is definitely in my sights next summer and I have to at least consider your big trip. Would be fun with you and Ian.

High on 6 degrees tomorrow.

Anybody plan to head out?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #2857
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Read some of the Mobius trip ride report. Looks neat. I BCBTR is definitely in my sights next summer and I have to at least consider your big trip. Would be fun with you and Ian.

High on 6 degrees tomorrow.

Anybody plan to head out?
I might give it a try in the afternoon - if the KTM doesn't make it out, I'll just ride over parked cars with the XRR!
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #2858
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

In case anyone is was thinking about heading out tomorrow, 40 north from 1a was clear and dry all the way past the first staging area, up to about where that ATV Adventure place is. After that the gravel started turning into sheets of hard packed snow and then to ice, still drivable but not so much fun. But up until then it was really nice.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #2859
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
In case anyone is was thinking about heading out tomorrow, 40 north from 1a was clear and dry all the way past the first staging area, up to about where that ATV Adventure place is. After that the gravel started turning into sheets of hard packed snow and then to ice, still drivable but not so much fun. But up until then it was really nice.

Glad to hear you managed to get her out in the sun. How do you like her so far?
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #2860
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Looking for Summer Trip with Cheaper Gas and rooms

For any locals looking for an interesting ride this summer, have a look at this. I am planning a two week, back-road trip through Montana (Continental Divide Trail), and Idaho (with a brief excursion over into Wyoming to Yellowstone). Hard to tell when putting the tracks together on Dual-sport Maps and Google but most is gravel with short sections of nice pavement in Idaho. A couple of guys have expressed interest so far, but always open to new people in the group. Time frame is late July / early August. Big Bike friendly.

The tracks can be found here:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post20110442

I had not added the Fuel waypoints in when I posted the track, but I have them now and a range of 285 km is the max needed. There are only two stretches at the south end of the Idaho track where that kind of range is required. Otherwise 150 km is good.

The B.C. portion on the way home is still under construction (and open to suggestions) but will be heading up around Nelson, then over Grey Creek Pass then maybe back-roading into Fernie. Camping when the weather is good, Option for Motel/ Hotel when it's not.
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 04:10 PM
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #2861
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1
Glad to hear you managed to get her out in the sun. How do you like her so far?

Thanks - truly awesome bike so far. I've ridden a lot of different bikes over the years, and I'd describe the Adventure as the most confidence inspiring of the lot. Completely at home on the gravel and mud at speed, and with the little bit of fooling around I did it was not as heavy feeling as I thought it would be, and it was very comfortable to ride standing. Even through patches of snow and ice I never got in trouble. And the hp really helps on the highway and out of corners. I can see riding this for a long time!

Great job on the route map...that's pretty time consuming work. I'm going to start trying to get a week off at that time now. I might try some short o/n trips at the start of the summer too, get my gear tested out. I have the side panniers for the KTM, plus a custom rear case I put together for delicate (expensive) camera gear that worked out well on the XRR.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #2862
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad you like the new KTM. I look forward to riding with the twin orange dragons. It will be the closest I will come to being with twins.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #2863
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 635
Congrats on the KTM. LOVE mine too. Have to get them out and run them through their paces. Be nice to have them and us meet. Cheers.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #2864
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 635
Lemme know if you guys hit the mx park too. I have never been and could be convinced to check it out!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #2865
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
Congrats on the KTM. LOVE mine too. Have to get them out and run them through their paces. Be nice to have them and us meet. Cheers.

Thanks, and for sure we need to ride! I hope to have some time over the winter to prep mine up a bit - I like how both yours and Lycan1's have the fender relocation kit, I think that's a must do for me as well. Looks like you used the 950 SE fender? Although since mine is the 950 with no ABS I think the procedure is a bit different. And you did an awesome job on the Killa graphics, I'm really tempted to design something up. Maybe an Orange Dragon theme. The only thing trick right now on the bike is the steering damper.

And btw Lycan1, I just read your intro to your 12 days on the Orange Dragon post and I totally agree with your description of the bike...