Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #2881
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
Show me what Alberta regulation states that you may not street plate a RUM bike. I haven't found it, and I have looked.

For a bike purchased, or already registered in Alberta this is a grey area where there is no stated policy on the part of the government.

Technically, if you ask an insurance company about it they say it has to be "street legal", but that's a wide term.

Myself and my buddy ride em. No problems and mine is technically not very complacent with "legally set-up", but then again using common sense and not drawing attention helps. I also ride mine 95% offroad.

This goes for all the KTM's (less EXE's), WR's, and 2010- Husabergs you see thumping away on the streets too.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #2882
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Show me what Alberta regulation states that you may not street plate a RUM bike. I haven't found it, and I have looked.

For a bike purchased, or already registered in Alberta this is a grey area where there is no stated policy on the part of the government.
There was a post here a while ago where an inmate posted a letter from the government of Alberta that said it was not legal to register an off highway vehicle for on road use in Alberta. It was definitely a stated policy-it was on Alberta Transportation letterhead.

You might be able to get it done at a bike friendly registry, but that doesn't make it legal and it could come back to bite you down the road.

I was going to buy an XR-R until I saw that.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #2883
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
So here's a question related to dirt bike registration in Alberta:
Would I be able to transfer my street registered 2001 CR250R from New Brunswick to Alberta or should I sell it here?
Whatever I end up doing my goal is to continue to have a street legal dirt bike for trail riding and I would rather keep the one I have now.
I lived in Jasper from '88 to '02 and have been thinking of looking for work in the Calgary area.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #2884
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Would I be able to transfer my street registered 2001 CR250R from New Brunswick to Alberta or should I sell it here?
Whatever I end up doing my goal is to continue to have a street legal dirt bike for trail riding and I would rather keep the one I have now.
I lived in Jasper from '88 to '02 and have been thinking of looking for work in the Calgary area.
No way for you to pass an Alberta Out of Province inspection on an RUM bike. That is an item in the inspection manual for the mechanic to use for an OPI.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 06:53 AM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #2885
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Yup,

Sell it and buy a 07?+ EXE, Husaberg 2011+ 570 here.

There are a few other options, but that's about it.

Or if you want to be a rebel, buy another 250R and insure / register it for street use. Insurance companies blame you, registration companies are too stupid to know better.

I know rules are rules, but I do not have a street legal bike, headlight, signals, tailight, tires, and exhaust. I've yet to have an issue because I don't draw unneccessy attetion. My exhaust is loud which I hope to fix this year. Damn FMF.

The beauty is with these bikes (dual sports) is you're probably the best liked "motorcyclists" on the road.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #2886
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

I must have missed this. That really sucks, especially as I have met almost all of the owners of that bike. At least 4 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley J View Post
Hey Guys,

I had my XR650R stolen from my back yard in Hidden Valley (the burbs in NW Calgary) on the weekend. Keep an eye out for it and the parts. Fortunately for me, it was DS'd and I had comprehensive coverage. Anyway, you can guess that I'm pissed.

Here are a few details/parts to watch for:
2001 XR650R
DS seat (Seat concepts I think)
BRP triple trees with Scott dampener
Custom GPS/Spot mount
Ti footpegs
Fluidyne Rads
Skid plate
LED handguard signals
Trail Tech Extreme HID race light
Trailtech Vapour
etc.

I'm replacing it with the two bikes I always wished it was, that being a 990ADV and a 300XCW. I've already got the 990 and will grab a 300 this winter or spring.

Cheers, and lock up them bikes

Wesley J

Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #2887
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
No way for you to pass an Alberta Out of Province inspection on an RUM bike. That is an item in the inspection manual for the mechanic to use for an OPI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Yup,

Sell it and buy a 07?+ EXE, Husaberg 2011+ 570 here.

There are a few other options, but that's about it.

Or if you want to be a rebel, buy another 250R and insure / register it for street use. Insurance companies blame you, registration companies are too stupid to know better.

I know rules are rules, but I do not have a street legal bike, headlight, signals, tailight, tires, and exhaust. I've yet to have an issue because I don't draw unneccessy attetion. My exhaust is loud which I hope to fix this year. Damn FMF.

The beauty is with these bikes (dual sports) is you're probably the best liked "motorcyclists" on the road.

Dammit
Guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a KTM.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #2888
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dammit
Guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a KTM.
Wecome back to the world of paperwork, trespassing signs, and expenses.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #2889
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Wecome back to the world of paperwork, trespassing signs, and expenses.
I bet you get more if you sell the Honda in Alberta...there is no requirement for inspection if it is registered as an OHV

Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #2890
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Not sure what is different about my XRR, but it's fully registered as a street bike in AB and has been for the past 3 owners. The original owner put a Baja kit on it, so it has signals and a battery, and neither me nor the previous owner had any trouble with the Registry office or insurance, and they went over the paperwork in detail. Never been pulled over on it though.

Btw great debate on the merits of the KTM Adventure versus the XRR - I have both bikes and will certainly have an opinion after I ride the KTM some more!
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #2891
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,452
I read somewhere that the 2000 and 2001 XRR's can get through a less than thorough inspection because they don't explicitly say RMU on the title. The later bikes do. YMMV.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 07:38 PM
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #2892
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Here is a photo of us last weekend in Mclean.
Me on the GS, Kevin2Wheels on the Versys and two friends.
Staying in the quad trails was OK...until you got off track.
The center bead on the K60 rear does not like snow.
On the other hand I am not that good....

I'm a skier so I say bring on the snow - but getting back out on the bike sure was good.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #2893
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Not sure what is different about my XRR, but it's fully registered as a street bike in AB and has been for the past 3 owners. The original owner put a Baja kit on it, so it has signals and a battery, and neither me nor the previous owner had any trouble with the Registry office or insurance, and they went over the paperwork in detail. Never been pulled over on it though.

Btw great debate on the merits of the KTM Adventure versus the XRR - I have both bikes and will certainly have an opinion after I ride the KTM some more!
There are many bikes like yours running around street plated. I have a KTM 250 XCW (2 stroke) that is street plated, I had a 98 KTM 400 sc that was street plated and got an OPI, I had a KLX300R that was street plated. Once you have a street plate it will carry over owner to owner in Alberta unless you ask for a change to an OHV.

I still have the 98 KTM, although now it is a 2003 Adventure. I bought a different frame for it without the RUM designation, bolted all the '98 components to it, replaced the blown motor with a '95 620 RXC motor, and Bob's you uncle 100% street legal. The bizarre thing is that all of the "dirt" components like brakes, wheels etc have the same part numbers as the competition vehicles.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #2894
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
I still have the 98 KTM, although now it is a 2003 Adventure. I bought a different frame for it without the RUM designation, bolted all the '98 components to it, replaced the blown motor with a '95 620 RXC motor, and Bob's you uncle 100% street legal. The bizarre thing is that all of the "dirt" components like brakes, wheels etc have the same part numbers as the competition vehicles.
The KTM sounds like a cool bike! I wish I had more space to work on bikes; as it is I might have to sell the XRR to make room, if I decide to stick with the 950. Which I probably will...only ridden it once but I really like it. But as you say the plates will carry over so I should be able to find a good home for it.
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #2895
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
200km loop today. Stopped out at the gate for Powderface. What a beautiful day. Hey Red Cat! We gotta get out sometime!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote