Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #3001
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,413
A WR450R would rock. I don't know why Yamaha didn't go that way.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #3002
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,744
About last nite!

Lots of chuckles. Some new faces. Lots of lies. In other words, you bums that didn't show up missed a good time. Everybody looking foreward to some dust. Might get out again later this week, if it cools down a bit. Then the roads stay dry. -1 to -5C is the optimum temp for keeping the salt off.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #3003
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 251
Re: Muldoons sorry I missed you guys. I live in McKenzie Lake and Mr. Canoehead and I have lunch there fairly often. It's a good place.

Re: Mexico I have been down here for 10 days - heading home today. I have been watching all the small 125cc bikes down here and thought about renting one but not sure it would carry my 6'-7" bulk! Instead I celebrated my 45th birthday yesterday in the sun with a few cervesas! Not as fun as riding but not too shabby!

Hope to get out and meet some if you F2F one of these days.

Cheers, DD
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #3004
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,199
I thought about going, but I ended up working late in the shop on some bike projects and by then the prospect of the drive to the far south end of town wasn't as appealing as the cold beer in the fridge at home.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #3005
Ryder Patrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Any you fookers have a WR250R?

I've only rode one around Yuma, AZ, and with a guy in Baja. My initial impression was it was gutless and small. Being 200lbs and 6'4" this is an issue, but the gutless can be looked over provided it has 6-8000 oil changes, and 20,000 km valve check intervals. I'm under the impression the engine is rock solid. Oh yea, it gets 60+ MPG on Pemex gas.

Reason for this is I'm looking for another bike to do a trip on. The XRR is great. I love it because it's downright simple, has gobs of power, and just works. The downside is I change the oil every 2000 KM's, and valve check every 4000 km's. It gets 50 MPG.

I've been looking for a newer one to swap all my parts on, but people in Alberta on Crack wanting $5000 for a 13 year old bike that's been rotting for years and needs a huge overhaul. Bearings, suspension, bars, tank, seats, electrical, etc. All those add up into the 1000's and stock they are flat out useless.

So... wondering if anybody who's bigger owns, and likes a WR250R. It's not simple, but provided it works I'm ok with that.
Hey Shibby.

I have a WR250R. It is actually a WR250X. I have changed out the super-moto wheels for dirt wheels. From the factory the bike feels under powered. It is a lot better now that it is uncorked. I opened up the air box, replaced the stock exhaust with a FMF power bomb header and FMF Q4 pipe, added a FMF fuel programmer, removed the emissions stuff and added a 47 tooth rear sprocket. Now it is a blast to ride. I am 5'10" and 190 lbs. The only thing the bike struggles with is travelling at highway speeds above 100k/hr. It's no problem holding 100 k/hr on the highway but if you want to travel much faster you would be running full out.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Ryder Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #3006
Kevin2Wheels
08 530 exc-r

Oddometer: 20
Talking February ride

Got out today with Calgary06 and a couple other DSers for a ride out hwy 66 to the end at the powderface gate. Took a detour into Mclean Creek staging area and rode off into the snow for a bit to the start of the police and fire games trail. even with the knobbies on (TKC80) the snow was pretty deep for a big bike. Fun to get out though! the Rad Wheels and TKC's change up the Versys considerably!
Kevin2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #3007
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 673
Out Ice Riding with the guys at Ghost Lake.

A couple more shots of my little XR on the ice:

calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #3008
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
^^^ Looks like fun Cal!

I'm torn with the WRR. I like the mileage and ability, but at the end of the day, I love my XRR for simplicity, power, and proven reliability. I just hate the maintenance I do, but is it really required is the question?

FIgure I'd sink a ton of money in the WRR to make it do what I want it to, but have issues like fuel pumps, wiring, and batteries.

I think this requires more investigation...
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #3009
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,585
Very nice pictures, interesting effect.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #3010
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
^^^ Looks like fun Cal!

I'm torn with the WRR. I like the mileage and ability, but at the end of the day, I love my XRR for simplicity, power, and proven reliability. I just hate the maintenance I do, but is it really required is the question?

FIgure I'd sink a ton of money in the WRR to make it do what I want it to, but have issues like fuel pumps, wiring, and batteries.

I think this requires more investigation...
I personally think the "reliability" worries are overblow with today's bikes (in general). Even my ultra complicated KTM 990 has only let me down once in 40,000 km. It was the fuel pump, and lets face it, that can happen on anything. Since then I have learned how to break down the pump assembly and change filters to help prevent future issues. If I was going on a long trip (South America) I would not hesitate taking my 990. I would however pack just the extra pump and filters with me, as they would take up next to no room. The big thing about in-tank fuel pumps, which every modern car, truck and bike have, is to not run the fuel so low that they are exposed to air, as they need the fuel to cool them. This just requires a habit of planning fuel stops well, or carrying extra fuel and topping up (which I do, and the previous owner may not have). This is something that everyone should be used to by now, considering just about all bikes have too small fuel tanks from the factory.

I have owned 5 different Yamaha bikes since the late seventies and they have all been rock solid! I had a charging system finally give up after 27 years on my old FZ 600. Not bad for 5 bikes over 30 years. The WR250R is on my radar as a second bike, since only the cost of the KTM 500 exc is too much to bear in the near future.

Sadly the internet tends to scare some people away from certain machines, since it is an easy way to hear all the horror stories (exaggerated or not). The complainers are usually far more vocal than those without an axe to grind.

No machine will ever be totally reliable when we use and abuse them the way the dual-sport crowd does. The maintenance is always going to be higher than the pure street ridden machines. Even trucks have a regular and hard use maintenance schedule.

The 990 has been the most fun and most grin-inducing machine that I have ever had. It is also the most expensive to do routine maintenance on. A price I can live with.Day to day reliability has been excellent and it is by far the bike I have put the most mileage on in over 30 years of riding on the street.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #3011
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Ride Concepts Calgary-2 thumbs up

For those of you locals that need suspension work I've had Dave Clarke at rideconceptscalgary.com rebuild a DRZ shock,KTM690 shock, and now the shock off my Beta Rev 3 trials bike. He's reasonable and does good work. He also works on quads, sleds and big bikes. He's a dealer for different brands as well so if you want good service at a reasonable price (who doesn't?) give him a call. He'll help you set your bike up as well.

Garrett
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #3012
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Even my ultra complicated KTM 990 has only let me down once in 40,000 km. It was the fuel pump, and lets face it, that can happen on anything.

I'm a firm believer of keeping it simple. No fuel pump, no injector, no starter, no battery = all good.

This way anything that can fail is mechanical or my doing. I did the entire electrical system, including the re-wound stator.

If your fuel pump would break down in S.A that could leave you stationary for months and cost you thousands to fix. That's huge. This isn't even going into the fact that it's too big, too heavy, and too dependant on sensors, etc. All of which you can't trouble shoot or fix in most places.

Everybody likes different things. As previously mentioned I put a lot of emphasis on small and simple.

Fuel pumps failing is not an uncommon thing on "new" FI models. Husabergs, WRR's, etc.

This all being said is mechanical things still do fail. The XRR isn't known for high mileage, but it's also known to be very well built. I had a chain snap on me crossing the Great Plains of Wyoming. Thank whoever I should thank it was 10 KM from a town, and not the previous 4-5 hours of empty, bare landscape I just finished riding and not seeing a single person!

I'd like a 990 in the future, but for right now I don't think it's the bike for me. I think it's the best big bike, but with motorcycles there's no perfect bike.

Shibby! screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 07:50 AM
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #3013
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
I'm a firm believer of keeping it simple. No fuel pump, no injector, no starter, no battery = all good.

This way anything that can fail is mechanical or my doing. I did the entire electrical system, including the re-wound stator.

If your fuel pump would break down in S.A that could leave you stationary for months and cost you thousands to fix. That's huge. This isn't even going into the fact that it's too big, too heavy, and too dependant on sensors, etc. All of which you can't trouble shoot or fix in most places.

Everybody likes different things. As previously mentioned I put a lot of emphasis on small and simple.

Fuel pumps failing is not an uncommon thing on "new" FI models. Husabergs, WRR's, etc.

This all being said is mechanical things still do fail. The XRR isn't known for high mileage, but it's also known to be very well built. I had a chain snap on me crossing the Great Plains of Wyoming. Thank whoever I should thank it was 10 KM from a town, and not the previous 4-5 hours of empty, bare landscape I just finished riding and not seeing a single person!

I'd like a 990 in the future, but for right now I don't think it's the bike for me. I think it's the best big bike, but with motorcycles there's no perfect bike.

Each to their own, and you have a very strict idea of what you like, some people never figure that out, so good for you.

As far as the fuel pump goes I already have a spare motor unit and filters in my tool box They fit in the palm of my hand, so even in Tom buc tou (or South America) I would not be stranded for any more time than it would take me to pull the pump apart and put in the new parts (an hour at most). As far as too big, that depends on what path you take. When I go (and from all I have seen on ADV) bikes far larger and less capable than the 990 have done this trip.The 990's biggest limitation is me, and I am working on that.

Who knows, I may find that super-simple, ultra-dependable bike with nothing more complicated than a stator, that I would rather take on a multi-month ride, but that is highly unlikely. Is any manufacturer building bikes less complicated as time goes by?

Best hang on to that XRR, after all Honda does have a great reputation for reliability and longevity. You need only look as far as the Honda Cub 90, something like 60,000,000 made so far . One guy on the forum rode one from Alaska to Chile. I just have no desire to ride one of those, as it doesn't turn my crank. I rode one once (made sure my friends didn't see me) and wasn't inspired.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #3014
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

The 990 is capable for it's size, but some of my days would have went much, much worse if I was riding one. Picking up bikes in deep gravel switchbacks would not be fun. The one day it happened three times in the morning with no food for 12 hours. I was low on energy and just needing to get off a mountain top in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. I hate being limited to where I can go by what I ride. Hence the XRR. Its the closest you can get to a trail bike without actually being a trail bike.

Somewhere in here. Hours into a ride (where I slept on a switch back in my tent), and hours yet to get somewhere I could get food:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=15.6163...&num=1&t=h&z=9

One thing you want going south is a narrow bike. The more narrow the better. This helps immensly when going through traffice, down walk ways (don't laugh, I rode a lot of sidewalks and walkways), etc.

Bumping cars with lugage is done often, but I don't think it makes the receiving end happy. I noticed I had much less issues then the others I've rode with that had hard, wide luggage on KLR's and DR's and a GS12.

Spare parts add up. More spares, more luggage, heavier and bigger bike, and more to take off the bike when leaving it. It's actually a pretty big pain. My spares included fuel filters (tiny), a kicker (they can fall off), gear shift, tire tubes and repair tools. I had spare sprockets but they fell off at the top of Engineer's pass and rolled down 1000's of feet. No lie. I also had spare brake pads, wheel bearings, and some seals (gear shift, primary drive, fork seals) Never did end up using those but my bearings in the rear wheel were shot when I got back. Front pads are on their last rides too.

I still believe the best trip bike is a modified DR650 but that's mostly because of maintenance and simplicity.

As for my electrical system, the coil that runs the bike is separate so unless something happens to the CDI feed, the bike will run. If anything happens on the rest of the electrical system it's isolated from the part that runs the bike. I believe most simple bikes are wired this way. I hope ALL bikes are wired this way, but I feel they aren't.

I believe I've decided to keep what I have because of it's capability and simplicity and work on a few additions / modifications to make it better maintenance wise and improve my lighting.

I hope to do S.A fall 2014 for 6-7 months.

Shibby! screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 11:19 AM
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #3015
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
I still believe the best trip bike is a modified DR650 but that's mostly because of maintenance and simplicity.
Yes - the simplicity of the DR and ease of maintenance makes it my choice as well for a multi-month tour in Latin America. Of the bikes in my garage, the DR requires (and gets) the least amount of wrenching from me and is the only bike that seems always ready to ride. Not sexy, fast or good looking, but a solid runner for sure.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote