User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #3136
pirate277
Earl of Leisure

Oddometer: 16
NE Ride Sat May 11 at 11:00 AM

I have been fine tuning my NE ride to include as much gravel, black dirt, and canal grassy roads as possible.

AGENDA: Meet at GW Cycle World -1020 Meridian RD NE at 11:00 AM.
Ride NE for 90 min. to Rockyford for lunch. If there is interest take 3 hours to go to Redland, Rosebud, Hesketh, Carbon(gas) ,Calgary.

I did it with KTM 690 and Super Tenere 2 weeks ago and conditions were dry. So big adventure bikes will be ok.

Must like prairie, heat and dust and going 80 km/hr on gravel roads.

Gas tank range needed 160 km. to Carbon 100km to Rockyford.

The Earl of Leisure
pirate277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #3137
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,775
Gee!

80kph on gravel Not sure anybody can handle that. Are you sure you don't mean 80mph. Nice of you to offer. This is an awesome ride that I've been on with Pirate277 before. Definitely take advantage.
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #3138
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate277 View Post
I have been fine tuning my NE ride to include as much gravel, black dirt, and canal grassy roads as possible.

AGENDA: Meet at GW Cycle World -1020 Meridian RD NE at 11:00 AM.
Ride NE for 90 min. to Rockyford for lunch. If there is interest take 3 hours to go to Redland, Rosebud, Hesketh, Carbon(gas) ,Calgary.

I did it with KTM 690 and Super Tenere 2 weeks ago and conditions were dry. So big adventure bikes will be ok.

Must like prairie, heat and dust and going 80 km/hr on gravel roads.

Gas tank range needed 160 km. to Carbon 100km to Rockyford.

The Earl of Leisure
You guys ok with a Canmoron joining?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #3139
pirate277
Earl of Leisure

Discussion of Group Riding Manners

Must have:

1. Make sure the bike behind you makes any major turn.
2. Try to keep sight of lights of bikes behind you, at least every 5 minutes.
3. Thum Up hand sign meaning I am OK/Ready/Roll on

Nice to have:

3. Spread out to keep out of previous riders dust
4. Ride your own safe speed, group will wait.
5. Off bike water breaks every 50 minutes or 50 km
6. If there is a need for awardrobe malfunction, just stop and adjust, group will wait.
7. Group up every 15 minutes for thum up sign.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #3140
pirate277
Earl of Leisure

Canmorons, Mountain Men, Flatlanders- all OK

Canmorons, Mountain Men, Flatlanders- all OK
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #3141
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate277 View Post
Must have:

1. Make sure the bike behind you makes any major turn.
2. Try to keep sight of lights of bikes behind you, at least every 5 minutes.
3. Thum Up hand sign meaning I am OK/Ready/Roll on

Nice to have:

3. Spread out to keep out of previous riders dust
4. Ride your own safe speed, group will wait.
5. Off bike water breaks every 50 minutes or 50 km
6. If there is a need for awardrobe malfunction, just stop and adjust, group will wait.
7. Group up every 15 minutes for thum up sign.

Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #3142
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Dutch Creek road isn't ready yet...

All the modern technology and the GPS still won't tell you that the road you are on is not the one you thought it was.

We took the east end from 40 thinking it would be a good way to get to Coleman. There is a bit of snow at the top around km 20 or so but we made it past without too much difficulty (my brain forgets quickly). Dry and dusty coming down except for one narrow, muddy spot south of the new quad bridge. Then came km 12. More snow. It was about 12-18 inches deep and soft. As we didn't know how far this patch of white hell continued - and neither of us wanted to walk that far to find out - we turned around. back to 40, down to Coleman for food and fuel then hammer back on 22 to Calgary, angry wives and cold supper. A long 10 hour adventure that should have been a few hours shorter (at least) had we not been 'playing' in the wet and white...

We will definitely head down there again.
P

too tired to post pics. I'll add some tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #3143
Kevin2Wheels
08 530 exc-r

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Really unlikely, based on last Saturdays ride over 532. Go back a page or two and see the snow pictures.

This pass over the hump on 532 to 40 was in great shape and essentially bone dry. All of this snow was gone except for the summits. The Dutch creek road on the other hand had snow at the first pass and impassable snow at the second pass. fully across the road and 2-3 feet deep, but unsure... it will be a while before that all melts! Calgary06 and I had a good day trying though!
Kevin2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #3144
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
On the way back we explored another green lane that branched north off that same lane and stopped at a swampy section. It looked a bit messy to attempt a crossing with no idea what lay ahead. Maybe when it dries out.

I know that spot, it seldom dries out completly and is usually too deep to get through. I've made it across I think perhaps only twice when it was drier around the edges. The last couple years it's been really chewed up by 4x4s and much worse, there was even an abandoned car dumped just before it a couple years back. After that section the road gradually improves until it eventually becomes a good gravel road that ties in with the east weat road you ended up on. Nothing special to go through on and hardly worth the work of slogging through the mud hole - unless you're into that sort ot thing.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #3145
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Long weekend plans?

Either doing a SE BC dual sport trip, or racing. Need to decide soon!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #3146
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
made the plunge and got a vstrom

Fun looking rides above.

Once I came around to the idea that I could own 2 bikes started lurking, then decided on a vstrom 650. Owners love them and I hope to join them after taking it out for a ride. It will be good for powderface and similar roads and for longer pavement rides. (if I can believe what I have read about them)

Anyone recommend good tires for the wee strom. It has trail wings on their way out. What do guys recommend for using them for gravel use. I think skid plate and engine guards, anything else.

Of course if there is hooligan opportunity on a ride it has to be the xr650l.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #3147
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Fun looking rides above.

Once I came around to the idea that I could own 2 bikes started lurking, then decided on a vstrom 650. Owners love them and I hope to join them after taking it out for a ride. It will be good for powderface and similar roads and for longer pavement rides. (if I can believe what I have read about them)

Anyone recommend good tires for the wee strom. It has trail wings on their way out. What do guys recommend for using them for gravel use. I think skid plate and engine guards, anything else.

Of course if there is hooligan opportunity on a ride it has to be the xr650l.
Take a look at the Mitas E 07's at MX1 Canada I'm pretty happy with mine, Sunday we rode 200km's of gravel to get to Rosebud and then to Wanye.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #3148
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
East Kootanays, Settlers Rd to Canal Flats, tried Bull River

First real ride on my new bike. 93 to Settlers road and then into Canal Flats for fuel. Camped at Findlay Falls. Next day I tried to get over to Fernie via the Bull River FSR. It's not open. I also learned that Grey Creek Pass will be closed for the season and possibly indefinitely due to land slides. Generally things are fine as long as you are below 2000m. After that it depends on if the road was opened and how much sun it gets. Looks like there should be lots of rideable stuff open for the weekend depending on how the weather goes this week.

The top of Bull River FSR is not open yet

This puddle ended up being over my front wheel. And once I realized the road was closed I had to drive back through it...

Nice campground on the White River FSR past Whiteswan Lake

My campsite at Findlay Falls
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #3149
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Mitas E 07's at MX1 look like good tires for gravel. Thanks.

I am picture posting challenged Lycan. In fact the way I post pictures is to email them to you.

A Saturday ride sounds great. I am going away and should be back for the weekend.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #3150
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarydrz View Post
First real ride on my new bike. 93 to Settlers road and then into Canal Flats for fuel. Camped at Findlay Falls. Next day I tried to get over to Fernie via the Bull River FSR. It's not open. I also learned that Grey Creek Pass will be closed for the season and possibly indefinitely due to land slides. Generally things are fine as long as you are below 2000m. After that it depends on if the road was opened and how much sun it gets. Looks like there should be lots of rideable stuff open for the weekend depending on how the weather goes this week.

Awesome stuff. I was wondering how the snow was back there. Passes are DEFINITELY closed.

There was rumour the GCP was closed two years ago, but opened. As long as they put a fence where my bike will get around, I don't care.

Seeing how much snow was on the bull I think we'll direct our dual sport ride into a dirt bike trip instead. Go to an area that benefits from rain...