User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #3196
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 343
Yesterday

Redcat, it ws probably a buddy and me (he rides a black Weestrom and I am on a white 990). We did the circle from Calgary west on 1A to 1X to Hwy 40, then east on 68 and south on Powderface (Lycan1, we saw the lone guy on the BMW near the north end of Powderface, so missed your group by a bit). Saw four guys on dual sports on the southern part of Powderface, two BMW's and 2 KTM's. Continued east on 66, then south on MacLean Creek and then worked our way south and east to Turner Valley, where we saw a couple of guys (BMW"s? Redcat?). We stopped at the fair in Turner Valley for a bit, then a burger and a milkshake at Marv's in Black Diamond before winding north to home. Conditions were pretty good, apart from a couple of muddy spots on Powderface. Even had a bit of dust from time to time on south facing exposures.

No riding today. David
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #3197
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Rain, rain go away...

Going to brave it and get trucked out to Waiparous, leaving at 1030. Destination is gravel pit. Taking the 640 and Chris has his WRX(?) 250. Might try riding to 4 corners depending on conditions. Hope forecast is wrong - else at least I get to see Waiparous for the first time in 3 years. Heard there was a big clearcut done around the gravel pit?

Nice photo Wes.
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #3198
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Red Cat

Is this where we passed each other yesterday?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #3199
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Wet Waiparous!

Wow! Great to get out today, even under monsoon conditions!

I have never seen the 940 so wet and greasy - we got sideways in the truck a few times and had to switch into 4-low. Glad we didn't tap out and head home; we had a blast.

Explored the clearcut around the gravel pit, rode the guide camp road to 4 corners and investigated a bunch or roads near the river before riding the 940 back to the truck. The rain was minimal for the 3 hours of riding. We got changed and loaded then almost on cue, the skies opened up as we left - cleaned the bikes off a bit.

After that taste, I think I will be insuring the 200!! (Andy take note!)

If Chris forwards some pics, I will post.
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #3200
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,886
Talking Fatallybitten!

Pretty sure that was it! Nice to link up to the gravel in there and do some neat loops. I can leave my house in SW Calgary and do a 3 hour rip in there doing lots of combination back roads to Longview and back and have a great ride doing it. Usually try to stop in Turner Valley at Motorad and support their food stand when its not raining.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #3201
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Weather forecast is starting to look better

After all the rain yesterday, and today's dismal start, things are finally looking up. I am going to do a ride tomorrow with my Harley buddy, so that means all pavement. But later in the week I am going to play hookey from home work and go out to play in the gravel again. The plan is to head south on the FTR with a bit of wandering in the Porcupine Hills before winding my way north on the east side of 22 to find my way home. I enjoyed those roads on my Southern Alberta Cultural Tour earlier this year and want to revisit a few of them.

Saturday morning is set aside for a bit of maintenance on my buddy's Vstrom (air filter, plugs) then an afternoon run on gravel, maybe southeast of the city, possibly some of the canal roads.

I have my fingers crossed that the weatherman gets it even partly right for a change. Cheers, David
Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #3202
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Mclean Creek on Sat. It was damn greasy to be out there on a beemer with Heidenau's. This part was ok but east of the road was soup. Joe did a lot better on his KTM 450 with MT21's. It will be a while before lots of Mclean dries up enough for big bikes I think...

http://youtu.be/Ax0MYhoLE8s
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #3203
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Ride Tomorrow!

Few of us doing a pavement ride to Drumheller/Wayne etc tomorrow taking only country back roads. Won't be as exciting as gravel but hey,something different. Lycan 1. You mentioned riding SE on Sat weather permitting. Maybe we can meet up. Know some stuff out that way.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #3204
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
A couple Calgary bikes roaming around North Africa. Excuse my potty mouth. Yes, that is a V-Strom.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #3205
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenboy View Post
A couple Calgary bikes roaming around North Africa. Excuse my potty mouth. Yes, that is a V-Strom.

Looks like fun! Did you guys have to pay the exuberant fees for the carnet?
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #3206
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Looks like fun! Did you guys have to pay the exuberant fees for the carnet?
No, we live here. I shipped the 990 over 3 years ago. I imported the bike and pay my road tax and insurance on an annual basis. I'll ship it back when I move to Canada (after a Euro tour on it).

I hired the other guy a couple years ago and convinced him to bring his bike. The V-Strom has been abused, front rim is mangled. He is on his second skid plate as the first was destroyed. He's to the point where he will probably leave the V-Strom here when he leaves.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #3207
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Lycan 1!

Unfortunately can't do Saturday. Is that 2nd Cup at 130th? Next time.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #3208
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenboy View Post
No, we live here. I shipped the 990 over 3 years ago. I imported the bike and pay my road tax and insurance on an annual basis. I'll ship it back when I move to Canada (after a Euro tour on it).

I hired the other guy a couple years ago and convinced him to bring his bike. The V-Strom has been abused, front rim is mangled. He is on his second skid plate as the first was destroyed. He's to the point where he will probably leave the V-Strom here when he leaves.

Interesting.

Was it much work to import? I assume some people would do that then paying the carnet if it was easier..

I assume you work in mining? (if you don't mind me asking)

Vstrom wasn't really designed for that. It's a GS competitor in my books at a fraction of the cost. Cast wheels and low ground clearance are not great for offroad, but people manage it pretty well as long as you don't thoroughly thrash them. Still cool to see people take bikes where they weren't really designed to go, or adapt those to do it.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #3209
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

I work oil and gas. I moved my family here a little over 3 years ago. I still have my place in Calgary with a few other bikes in the garage and will be back sooner than later.

I had an agency do the paperwork, but it didn't cost much of anything. As an expat you can import a vehicle without tax etc. It is called RS, which stands for "Regime Special" (french). Basically you get to bring the bike in exempt of all fees. I have a special license plate that signifies this. I pay my insurance and registrations fees yearly and I am good to ride. I am a rarity as there are not many big bikes on the road. If there is a real motorcycle on the road it is stolen from Europe with no plates or papers. The cops don't do anything. The streets are littered with POS 50cc scooters and mopeds hauling the whole family though.

As for touring in Tunisia, it is super easy to bring a bike without significant paperwork. You show up, they stamp the bike into you passport and away you go. No carnet or the likes required.

This couple from Calgary just left the country after spending almost a month here.

http://www.welovemotogeo.com

They take some fantastic photos and tell some great stories so check them out.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #3210
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Hey Trav

I always enjoy your videos. How has the katoom been treating you? I heard Booker saying he's thinking of joining you on the Grizwold European vacation. Eta on your return?

You give me a hard time about having too many bikes and you're looking at a Goldwing... Dumb ass

Wes

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote