User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #3301
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 305
Photos from my Southern Alberta Cultural Tour

Spent 5 days touring around southern Alberta last week visiting cultural sites. Did just over 1,800 kms, most of it gravel and secondary highways. Lots of highlights, just a few lowlights, mostly weather related. The tour took me from Calgary to Dinosaur Provincial Park on Day 1. Then on a winding track to the Cypress Hills on Day 2, where weather sent me scurrying for cover in the form of a 1 star motel in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan. Day 3 was a return of winter and saw me hightailing it back to Alberta through a full blown blizzard and an overnight in Lethbridge after an aborted attempt to stay in Milk River to be close to Writing on Stone Provincial Park. Day 4 included a trip back to Milk River and then on to Writing on Stone, followed by a ride to Payne Lake just east of Waterton Park where I had again planned to camp, only to be foiled by the snow which was still piled up in the campsite. So I finished up yet again in a motel, this time in Pincher Creek. My last day included Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, followed by a twisting ride on gravel back to Calgary. I had intended to camp each night, but only managed to set up the tent the first night. I could have just sucked it up and camped every night, but I am getting too old for that much adventure. Besides, the kind of accommodation I am happy with comes pretty cheap. I enjoyed each of the cultural sites, but didn't cover the Cypress Hills the way I had planned due to weather. So that is a part of the trip I will have to redo later in the year.

For those interested in the photos, here is the link to my Photobucket album of the trip. In hindsight I should have taken more photos on Day3, but I was too busy trying to make sure the heated gear kept working and the bike stayed upright in the wind and blowing snow that even during the few times that day when the weather wasn't awful the camera stayed in the tank bag. Otherwise, there are lots of photos that will give you a sense for the trip. For those unfamiliar with Photobucket, when the album opens click on the little icon to the right of the box that says "Add to story". This will open the album as a slide show. Cheers, David

http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/fa...ultural%20Tour
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #3302
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Come to think of it I have TD insurance as well. Duuuhhh... I used blue circle the first year i rode (years ago) cause my rates were stupid high. The first bike I owned was a Ducati. Lol! Miracle I'm still alive! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
TD / Primmum for me.

Competitive rates and THE best service you'll find. I'll fully admit the service won me over. As soon as TD took them over it's a little slower, but still far better than most.
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #3303
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatallybitten View Post

For those interested in the photos, here is the link to my Photobucket album of the trip. In hindsight I should have taken more photos on Day3, but I was too busy trying to make sure the heated gear kept working and the bike stayed upright in the wind and blowing snow that even during the few times that day when the weather wasn't awful the camera stayed in the tank bag. Otherwise, there are lots of photos that will give you a sense for the trip. For those unfamiliar with Photobucket, when the album opens click on the little icon to the right of the box that says "Add to story". This will open the album as a slide show. Cheers, David

http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/fa...ultural%20Tour

The High Fender mod. looks good in black on your bike. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing those.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #3304
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Anybody have a spare KLR base gasket kicking around? A friend of mine is trying to find one locally and isn't having any luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #3305
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post

The High Fender mod. looks good in black on your bike. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing those.
I looked at the pictures (and I didn't notice until Lycan posted this one full size) - looks like a great trip but........why were you carrying spare tires? Were you planning on making a detour to Alaska?

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #3306
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Blue Circle insurance is pretty great for motorbike insurance. They get you the lowest rate possible. ;)
I called a pile of brokers including blue circle. Blue Circle still has not returned my calls, Primum wanted about $600/yr and the best deal at about $300/yr came from my existing broker (Rogers). For reference I am 31, licensed for 5 years, clean record and the bike was an 07 650 Dakar. I just thought I would share that info as the price difference was so great between the brokers. I was a returning customer to TD/Primum. go figure. The insurance was through Echelon...

where2next? screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 12:53 PM
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #3307
gwotbmcb
n00b

Oddometer: 4
if we're sharing rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarydrz View Post
I called a pile of brokers including blue circle. Blue Circle still has not returned my calls, Primum wanted about $600/yr and the best deal at about $300/yr came from my existing broker (Rogers). For reference I am 31, licensed for 5 years, clean record and the bike was an 07 650 Dakar. I just thought I would share that info as the price difference was so great between the brokers. I was a returning customer to TD/Primum. go figure. The insurance was through Echelon...
I have 145/yr for plpd only on my ktm 690 (2012) through TD meloche. I think they wanted $440 for full coverage.
gwotbmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #3308
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 305
Cultural tour comments

Lee, thanks for the comments. I was pleased with how the high fender worked out and I was happy with it throughout the trip. I was worried that it would change how the bike tracked in the wind, but it was as steady as when it was set up with the stock low fender. Coming from a KLR 650 which seemed to sail in any amount of cross wind, I was happy that the KTM stays planted. I did have the occasional piece of gravel fly up and over my head, but that was no big deal.

Mr. Canoehead, it only looks like I am carrying spare tires. I have a cargo net that goes around my dry bag so I can stuff sandals, extra water bottles, small tripod, etc. etc. etc. into the netting, making it easy for me to get at them without tearing the packs apart. I will be carrying spare tires on top of the rear bag when I do my Yukon trip this summer, largely for the Dempster portion. This photo shows the luggage set up a bit better.

I am off for a couple weeks of sailing on the west coast, combined with some car camping and mountain biking. When I get back to Calgary late in May I will be looking to do another multi-day ride, but haven't given much thought yet to routing. Maybe a southern BC gravel tour.

Cheers, David
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #3309
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
With that much gear it still looks like you are going around the world!

If May long doesn't include a harescramble race I'll likely be doing a dual sport trip. Braaap!

Getting excited for the MX track tonight.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #3310
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Anybody have a spare KLR base gasket kicking around? A friend of mine is trying to find one locally and isn't having any luck.
Sorry guy, the only KLR part I have left from mine is a little use stock seat from a 2010.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #3311
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 188
Afternoon/ Evening Ride Tonight Annyone?

Thinking about hitting up Waiparous or Ghost this afternoon/evening. Anyone interested? Flexable on time and departure location. I am in the SE.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #3312
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Kevin2Wheels and I were thinking of a ride down the forestry road to Coleman this weekend. Will anything be doable off the main road this early in the season?
Thanks
Paul
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #3313
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 132
Anyone doing a Saturday Day trip?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #3314
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I am sidelined right now with a plugged fuel filter on my less than 3000 km bike, but I hope to get in on some of the weekend rides with you all soon as long as the rides are not too extreme. Loving the bike on gravel so far but haven't really taken it anywhere off road yet.
990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #3315
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Sorry guy, the only KLR part I have left from mine is a little use stock seat from a 2010.
Thanks anyway, he ended up making one out of gasket sheeting, he is a KLR owner after all.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote