Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #3331
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
As a few of you know I arrived home to Calgary from my NWT's adventure I'll do a report when time is available. Fridays mail included a letter from the RCMP in Ft. St. John stating that a civilian reported a silver BMW with my plate riding erratic and dangerous and if it was me consider this letter as a warning! Speeds in excess of 130kms and passing long lines of traffic on double solid lines. A few of you have riden with me and thats not my style, I wonder what country bumkin up there does not like motorcycles passing him legally?
Some people live for that kind of stuff... get upset for no good reason, then have to exaggerate in order to save face.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #3332
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Trunk Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Coal Camp road was badly damaged but you can get past. We were told the trunk road was closed to Harold Creek road so we stopped at the construction on Coal Camp road and turned around.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

Good to know Lycan1. If the Coal Camp Road (Sundre cut off) is passable all the way from Sundre area to the junction with the forestry trunk road, then a guy can definitely ride south on trunk road to Cochrane area but cannot ride north on forestry trunk road as you will very soon come to a bridge that couldn't be crossed (well maybe it could be crossed but I sure wouldn't try it - it is just ashphalt suspended in mid air). The trunk road was under the Red Deer River near Mountainaire lodge but isn't anymore and is fine to ride over.
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #3333
Boggking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtowner View Post
Rode up forest trunk road/40 yesterday. You can go north from Cochrane all the way to Mountainaire lodge area where the cut off to Sundre is. Trunk road is closed a couple km north of the Sundre cut off junction as a bridge is heavily damaged. I'm not sure if the cut off to Sundre is open - there is a road closed sign but traffic was coming up although maybe it was local? If it is you could do some kind of loop. No fuel or anything at Mountainaire lodge, looks like they were hit pretty hard by the flood (they did have air that I used to seat my bead after my pump crapped out).
We were able to buy fuel at the lodge yesterday. You have to go into the office to get service.

BK>
Boggking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #3334
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Mountainaire

Ok. I was talking to a guy there and looking for air and he told me they weren't selling anything.
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #3335
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
just thought that i would put this out there for fellow calgarians....

hello,

in my signature is a link to the vendors thread, where i have been selling acerbis neoprene fork socks,
i just arrived in calgary a week ago, i have 4 pairs with yellow letters with me that are looking for a new home...
as im here, and no need to post them, i will offer them a great price at thirty dollars a pair.

pm me if your interested

thank you
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #3336
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
$30 a pair? You can get them for $25 a pair at blackfoot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
hello,

in my signature is a link to the vendors thread, where i have been selling acerbis neoprene fork socks,
i just arrived in calgary a week ago, i have 4 pairs with yellow letters with me that are looking for a new home...
as im here, and no need to post them, i will offer them a great price at thirty dollars a pair.

pm me if your interested

thank you
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #3337
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtowner View Post
Rode up forest trunk road/40 yesterday. You can go north from Cochrane all the way to Mountainaire lodge area where the cut off to Sundre is. Trunk road is closed a couple km north of the Sundre cut off junction as a bridge is heavily damaged. I'm not sure if the cut off to Sundre is open - there is a road closed sign but traffic was coming up although maybe it was local? If it is you could do some kind of loop. No fuel or anything at Mountainaire lodge, looks like they were hit pretty hard by the flood (they did have air that I used to seat my bead after my pump crapped out).
I've been on the trunk road from the 591 junction to the North Ram where there is a washed out culvert. Lighter bikes with a little help might get through ok. I was solo on my portly GSA. Went back down 752 (towards Rocky Mtn House) and caught the North Ram Road that heads back to the trunk road. It has a sign that says "closed at km 64", about 10 km short of the trunk road. There is a spot at 64 where half the road is washed out, but if the construction guys aren't there, a bike can get through. Followed this back to the trunk and it comes out a couple hundred yards north of the washed out culvert. From there I went to Hwy 11 and its open all the way. Just watch for small washouts along the shoulder the whole way.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #3338
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,205
Limestone Mtn...

Thinking of doing a ride up to the Limestone LO this Saturday. Does anyone know if the Limestone access rd off the FTR was affected by the water issues?
Lav1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #3339
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
I rode out on the Trans Alto road in Waiparous today, the road is pretty potholed, but nothing the Ohlins couldn't handle

Got as far as the Ghost valley; I had planned to go up to valley to the north as far as I could, but the road is not there right now. Tried the trail down to Devil's Gap, but the river is still running pretty high and that trail is questionable too right now. Didn't want to have a go at the crossing without anyone else to help so I turned back and wandered the backroads back to the city.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #3340
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
That's crazy how the ghost river took it's banks.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #3341
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
$30 a pair? You can get them for $25 a pair at blackfoot...
Yeah but then you're supporting Blackfoot.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #3342
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,205
Blackfoot...

Lots of horror stories have been told about the service at Blackfoot... including those from me. But it would appear that they are making a sincere effort to try and turn things around in their service dept.

I had a 2013 Guzzi (wife's bike) in recently for a rebuild of the transmission due a fault from the factory. I must have received close to a dozen calls and emails from various folks at Blackfoot over the span of 2-3 weeks keeping me informed of the latest status of the repairs. It's not like I'm a longtime customer either - this is the one and only time I have ever purchased a new bike from them in over 30 yrs. I was really, really impressed with how they handled the issue, kept me informed of the repair progress and got the work done in short order.

The VP of service there (Jason) was quite open about their challenges in the past with service, and seemed genuinely invested in trying to turn it around and build a reputation as a solid shop.
Lav1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #3343
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Help with trip to Caroline, AB

Hello,

My wife and I are heading to Caroline from Northern California.
We plan on overnighting in Bend, Or. Spokane, Wa. Cranbrook then to Banff. From Banff we will visit our niece in Caroline for a few days. No set schedule coming back but want to come back through Montana. A couple of questions. Are many road heading that way washed out? AnY recommendations for day trips out of Caroline?

Thanks
sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #3344
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
BlackFoot has given me exceptional service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Lots of horror stories have been told about the service at Blackfoot... including those from me. But it would appear that they are making a sincere effort to try and turn things around in their service dept.

I had a 2013 Guzzi (wife's bike) in recently for a rebuild of the transmission due a fault from the factory. I must have received close to a dozen calls and emails from various folks at Blackfoot over the span of 2-3 weeks keeping me informed of the latest status of the repairs. It's not like I'm a longtime customer either - this is the one and only time I have ever purchased a new bike from them in over 30 yrs. I was really, really impressed with how they handled the issue, kept me informed of the repair progress and got the work done in short order.

The VP of service there (Jason) was quite open about their challenges in the past with service, and seemed genuinely invested in trying to turn it around and build a reputation as a solid shop.
I can't say enough good things about the service at Blackfoot. That is dealing with the service department (many times)- on a GSX-R and a Triumph 800XC I have been very happy with the customer service.
BUT I alway get attitude in the BMW section.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #3345
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,783
Nice KTM 990!

There is a real nice clean used KTM 990 Adventure at Blackfoot for someone here. Looks to be about a 2010. No price yet. Big grins for some poor soul.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote