Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #3346
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarman View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are heading to Caroline from Northern California.
We plan on overnighting in Bend, Or. Spokane, Wa. Cranbrook then to Banff. From Banff we will visit our niece in Caroline for a few days. No set schedule coming back but want to come back through Montana. A couple of questions. Are many road heading that way washed out? AnY recommendations for day trips out of Caroline?

Thanks
Not sure about roads washed out to the south, I'm sure the main roads are good.
Caroline is just a short jaunt to the forestry trunk road (#734). There's some real great rides down that way. Too the north, 734 had a washed out culvert at the north ram river, not sure if that's fixed yet. Lots of side roads to check out too. It's one of my favorite roads.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #3347
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 790
Blackfoot service has improved but that isn't the only area they need improvement. Inside sales have people in departments that genuinely make you feel like your are ruining their day by you even being there, let alone needing their assistance. I bought my bike there because they carry KTM, but everything else I get from GW Cycle. KTM specific I support Alternate Cycle.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #3348
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I notice the Blackfoot attitude too, but usually they are willing to match internet pricing and it's hard to beat that convenience if they have what you want. I bought an RC-51 from them way back when but nothing lately. Haven't had any service work done there but come valve adjustment time for my 990 I may ask for veterans opinions on where would be best to take it. Mostly I am a firm believer in MYSELF caring more for my stuff than some guy grinding through his day but I haven't done valves before. Might just try it myself anyway
990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #3349
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I was lookingg for riding pants at balckfoot. Want through a few people to get help, then the guy asked what my "PRICE POINT" was. Guess heddidn't want to waste his time if I wasnt there to spend big dough.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #3350
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
I was lookingg for riding pants at balckfoot. Want through a few people to get help, then the guy asked what my "PRICE POINT" was. Guess heddidn't want to waste his time if I wasnt there to spend big dough.
Todd at Mountain Motorrad in Canmore has Klim riding pants and really reasonable prices.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #3351
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
Todd at Mountain Motorrad in Canmore has Klim riding pants and really reasonable prices.
Agree, Todd helped my wife and I try on a bunch of sizes of Klim gear to figure out what we needed. Him and Jen genuinely care and are interested in helping the customer. We now are patiently awaiting two sets of overlander suits to come in... If you're looking for klim gear near Calgary, I wouldn't go anywhere else...

Jason
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #3352
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Website to check floods, AB road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarman View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are heading to Caroline from Northern California.
We plan on overnighting in Bend, Or. Spokane, Wa. Cranbrook then to Banff. From Banff we will visit our niece in Caroline for a few days. No set schedule coming back but want to come back through Montana. A couple of questions. Are many road heading that way washed out? AnY recommendations for day trips out of Caroline?

Thanks
As per the Park Rangers in MacLean Creek today, check this site for up to date road conditions, flood updates, campsites, etc.

http://511.alberta.ca/ab/en.html

They told me most of the (immense) damage in K-country might take till next year to fix. 17 washouts on Powderface trail (road, bridges, etc), a few between MacLean Creek and the end of Highway 66, lots of road washed out on Highway 40...

Happy Trails!

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #3353
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Did he continue to help though?

I wouldn't judge him on that question because if you say $100-250, that elminates A LOT of what is on their shelf.

I wouldn't doubt you'd get really good service when you start looking at the top of the line Klim gear though.. (~2000-2500)

As for local dealerships, I rarely walk in them or buy anything. Being a DIY'r I usually end up buying what I need from the states still. I may try Dean at BF Direct as my buddies have had good luck with him, but at the same time I can't forget years of abuse to it's customers. That being said, BF and GW get my choice if I have to buy a tube, or a random tire, etc.

I was out in Wiaparous Saturday and things were cold! Then things turned REALLY dark, then it hailed marbles. It had me offroading in my truck for tree coverage.

After that the sun came out, warmed up quite a bit, and was beautiful.

Sunday I was out there again shreading the singletrack. Wicked day, great group of riders and overall very good conditions. A bit slick in some places, but no or little dust in the rest. Awesome time. I'm convinced my KTM's suspension is near dialed once warmed up, but I'm still finding that magical jetting. I have it worked out for lower elevation, but the foothills are playing tricks on me.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #3354
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

I support a couple of shops locally and Blackfoot if necessary. Online ONLY if I can't get what I need anywhere else. Gotta support the shops or we'll lose them and they do have their place.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #3355
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
Went to Blackfoot to buy my new GS1200A in 2010. Had the paperwork done up.
Asked to have the serial number on the showroom bike we dealt on written on the invoice. Told no way we want to keep this one on the showroom floor we have more coming from Germany (this was in March for April delivery).
Salesman got upset at us over that. Sooo...I asked to see the invoice again and said forget the deal and put the paperwork in my pocket. He lost it and asked for it back, I ripped it up in small pieces and walked out with him screaming at my back.
Long story short went to Argyll in Edmonton and bought the same bike on my terms.
Cash deal BTW.
Don't piss off the buyer!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #3356
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
I support a couple of shops locally and Blackfoot if necessary. Online ONLY if I can't get what I need anywhere else. Gotta support the shops or we'll lose them and they do have their place.
Been riding for 10 years with 9 bikes and never "had" to take my bike to a dealership yet. I also don't buy new so even if i did, I'd be fine driving a few hours, or to the states. One of my motorcycles has been to the dealership once for a recall. They shit the bed on that recall repair. That company is now bankrupt and long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Pilot View Post
Went to Blackfoot to buy my new GS1200A in 2010. Had the paperwork done up.
Asked to have the serial number on the showroom bike we dealt on written on the invoice. Told no way we want to keep this one on the showroom floor we have more coming from Germany (this was in March for April delivery).
Salesman got upset at us over that. Sooo...I asked to see the invoice again and said forget the deal and put the paperwork in my pocket. He lost it and asked for it back, I ripped it up in small pieces and walked out with him screaming at my back.
Long story short went to Argyll in Edmonton and bought the same bike on my terms.
Cash deal BTW.
Don't piss off the buyer!!!
I can understand they wanted to keep a showroom unit on display, but as you mentioned. Paid for and gone, they should have moved the unit. As they said "more are coming within 4 weeks" + assembly + PDI + whatever else gets in their way of handing it over to the owner.

As the automotive industry has admited. Canadians pay more because we're willing to pay it. That' doesn't hold true for me.

Who got out riding this weekend? Lets see some pictures!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #3357
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

I "have" to because I ride a bike that requires diagnosis by computer from time to time. I've built 2 bikes from frame up and fixed many others. Shops are still a necessity and as such so is supporting them. Not everyone is willing or able to fix their own bikes. Some can afford someone else to do it. Good for you for never "having" to use a shop though.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #3358
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

I'm also willing to pay more to support the shops I want to stick around too. As we all should. I know the Internet is tempting, but if shit goes south, I want a tangible store with a face to deal with. Me personally anyway.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #3359
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Bought a used R1200GS from Blackfoot, had a clutch fail within a couple hundred miles. The Warranty was given, and so were many scars from the repairs. Then when I picked up the bike I was told how much of a pile of junk it was... My response was you sold it to me! Sheepish look on the techs face! The salesman had lied to me on a small point, and that really made me mad.

Now Anderwerks gets my business, and Dave is always willing to discuss bike issues. I will support locally, it just won't be at Blackfoot again.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #3360
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Neighbour and good friend bought a BMW HP4 last winter.
Blackfoot dropped it during PDI but didn't tell him... until he looked closley (some carbon fibre was crushed, scraped other bits) as he had it in his living room for 1/2 the winter .
Lots of promises from Blackfoot, no action other than being treated like dirt by everyone from the service manager to one of the owners.

GW Cycle on the other hand are great to deal with. I was just looking at a Fly DS helmet and they immediately state that it's not (whatever the retail price stated) but X (sorry, I can't remember) which happens to be the same price you can get them on line. they do that every time i'm in there.

I'm glad Blackfoot is trying to turn things around but until they actually do I think I'll shop elsewhere.
payner is offline   Reply With Quote