Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #3376
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Have you replaced that chain yet?! Either it had to be completely worn and stretched that much on the ride, or.... well, I can't explain it.

Anybody doing any trips yet this year? I'd love to go dual sporting out by the coast. Been WAY too long since I've been out there. Maybe next year... wish I had more holidays.

TOI for us starts in a couple weeks. In quality fashion we left planning till now. Just working through the details, slowly getting bikes in shape, etc. Not sure how we'll hold up over 300-350 km of offroad per day for 7-8 consecutive days. Plus we have to get back to the border in 2-3 days on our bikes.

I might be done riding for the rest of the year.. haha.
That chain only stayed on until I could get a new one. Now I carry a chain breaker and clipped link. I thought I had to have a crimped link so got rocky mountain honda to do it since I didn't have tools for that. They put it on so tight the adjusters are all the way in. Plus the adjusters were not adjusted the same on both sides. (So I guess they were not BOTH all the way in)

I barely got the rear wheel off due to the tight chain not giving enough slack. Will probably need to remove the staked master link and put on my clipped link jurt to grt the chain/wheel back on. Exactly what I should have done in the first place
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #3377
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
That chain only stayed on until I could get a new one. Now I carry a chain breaker and clipped link. I thought I had to have a crimped link so got rocky mountain honda to do it since I didn't have tools for that. They put it on so tight the adjusters are all the way in. Plus the adjusters were not adjusted the same on both sides. (So I guess they were not BOTH all the way in)

I barely got the rear wheel off due to the tight chain not giving enough slack. Will probably need to remove the staked master link and put on my clipped link jurt to grt the chain/wheel back on. Exactly what I should have done in the first place

Sometimes I wonder if bike mechanics even ride? haha. Problem is adding that extra link (it becomes two) increases the length of the chain quite a bit. That being said, Honda has made a bike or two in the past so I figure they'd have geometry worked out so it's a reasonable length...

I like clips because they are serviceable with less/common tools. I've never had one fail, but there is always that chance.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #3378
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if bike mechanics even ride? haha. Problem is adding that extra link (it becomes two) increases the length of the chain quite a bit. That being said, Honda has made a bike or two in the past so I figure they'd have geometry worked out so it's a reasonable length...

I like clips because they are serviceable with less/common tools. I've never had one fail, but there is always that chance.
I had two clipped links fail of of my XR650R, one completely letting go while trying to pass a minivan at 120... The chain tossed straight back out the bike. Now I only keep a clipped link as my secondary backup with a staked link as my primary spare... I have the tiny chain break from Australia, about the size of a lipstick, works great
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #3379
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
I'm going to assume they were installed the right way?

Strange. Everybody in my "riding circle" has never had a failure or issue.

Link to the lipstick chain tool? I haven't seen a small one before. The tool itself is the main reason for me not using them.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #3380
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm going to assume they were installed the right way?

Strange. Everybody in my "riding circle" has never had a failure or issue.

Link to the lipstick chain tool? I haven't seen a small one before. The tool itself is the main reason for me not using them.
YOu bet, definetly the right way. I think the first one was from the clip being hit by a rock from some highspeed riding on very ruff forestry road up by Swan Hills, The second one was just shitty luck, I had to get a new chain put on but noboday had any staked links so I had to take the clip link.... oh well!

Here's the link to the chain tool. It's called a "Terra-X chainbreaker" two of the three wrenches required to use any function of the tool are sizes you should be carrying on your XR650R anyways. One end is a 17mm(which is for your bikes front axel) the other end is 10/11mm for pushing the pin through is the same size you would use on your rim locks. Can't remember the 3rd but you get the idea..Both the sizes I listed are sizes on the ends of my tire levers...

The link has lots of pictures and videos.

Jason

windquest screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 01:03 PM
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #3381
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Anyone heading out for a ride this weekend?
I would like to get out dirtbiking or a DS ride. Has anyone made it around Powderface yet to see if all the washouts are rideable?

Cheers
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #3382
BCT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
MacLean Creek Trail Conditions

Rode Maclean Creek trail this afternoon south to north. Yes, there is a gate at the southern end and yes it may have said "closed road" or something to that affect so if "closed roads" are offensive to you please discontinue reading now. Ok, now that that's done, the road itself is in regular/good condition albeit with
a couple of closed bridges. The bridges are not washouts but undermined with caution tape strung across them. The stream crossings (there are two) to circumvent the bridges are each less than a foot deep. Once at the main staging area my reckless partner and I explored a variety of quad trails and mud bogs and they all seem in the shape one would expect from quad trails and mud bogs. The gate at the store is closed (as you may know) but again, there's a mild ride around.
BCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #3383
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Bridge at Black Diamond!

The washed out bridge at Black Diamond has now been reopened today at 4pm. So the main road between Turner Valley and Black Diamond is open.
However the washed out bridge just south of Turner Valley is still out. Looks like a couple more weeks for that one.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #3384
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
FTR update

The FTR is open from #3 north to the junction of 532 although there are no signs indicating any closures coming from the south (guess how we found out!! Even asking if it was open and told it was).
532 remains closed but the Maycroft road is open so at least you can get back to 22.

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #3385
TimeTo Ride
ALLAN

Oddometer: 17
Question Looking for a Track

Last year at the Horizons Unlimited meet in Nakusp folks showed up from Calgary using a trail from Invermere/Panarama up and over to the Creston/Crawford bay highway. I'd like to do this this summer but am having trouble finding a track. Does anyone know where I can find one?
Thanks
TimeTo Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #3386
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Thats!

Grey Creek Pass. Kimberly/St Marys to Crawford Bay. My pal did it 2 weeks ago and its open for bikes.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #3387
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Grey Creek Pass. Kimberly/St Marys to Crawford Bay. My pal did it 2 weeks ago and its open for bikes.
Did your friend take any pictures when he was on Grey Creek Pass 2 weeks ago?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #3388
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Anyone heading out for a ride this weekend?
I would like to get out dirtbiking or a DS ride. Has anyone made it around Powderface yet to see if all the washouts are rideable?

Cheers
Still closed at both ends.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #3389
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
In the 2005 flood it took years for Powderface to open up again. Might be a similar story this time.

I saw on mythbusters, if you ride 60 miles/hr your motorcycle will skip over water. Unless anyone wants to try it, some routes may stay closed.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #3390
TimeTo Ride
ALLAN

Oddometer: 17
Good Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post

Thanks Red Cat
TimeTo Ride is offline   Reply With Quote