ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #3451
IanInCalgary
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 72
Tires are getting expensive!

I ordered a new set of D606s and tubes from GW Cycle World last weekend. The prices have gone up substantially from last year, especially tubes ($57.99 each for ultra heavy duty). Total price with all taxes and levies was $421.

I don't mind paying a bit of premium to support my local dealer but, sheesh, it would have been $60-80 lower cost to order from the Internet!

I'm not slamming GW Cycle but there is a limit. Tires for next year may be from the Internet, or maybe I'll price them on the Internet and ask the local dealer to either match prices or at least meet part way.

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #3452
Wesley J
Hoser
 
Wesley J's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 628
With 10 bikes and normally 3-6 sets of tires per year, I only buy online and mount and balance myself. A few years ago I put 4 sets of tires on the VFR in one season. I saved $600 by ordering online and doing it myself. A set takes me 45 mins and 2 beer...

Loving life
__________________
Burren Rider: "It's the kind of power that leaves your hands shaking after a spirited run and makes you feel like wearing your undies on the outside, super hero style."

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #3453
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
GW tends to normally be pretty fair. At least for how stea.. dealership are. If I support any it's GW and BF. Tires (and anything rubber) has gone way up in the last couple years.

That being said, I order most of my things online, or to the border. With a few expensive hobbies, an old truck and a few motorcycles there is ALWAYS something I can order.

I'd hate to think how much I've saved over the years ordering online and doing the work myself. A friend of mine (his wife) manages a dealership and gives me a hard time. I told him that I wouldn't be able to ride if I had to pay for the cost of parts and shop time here. There's truth to that.

Why did you go with 606's?? I find the only people to like those are on monster 950/990's. Then again I run non-DOT tires, but a Desert IT will run circles around that tire. (and cheaper..)

Your mileage may vary. I've never run them, but I've known people who put them on, rode them twice, then gave them away. haha.

Out of all my dual sport friends, everybody rides Desert IT's. One is trying MT21's, but I told him they are crap and he didn't listen. My worn out desert IT worked as good as a new MT21 in Mexico. They both lasted about the same.

With that said, I'm interested to hear your opinion once you get a few miles on them, Ian.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #3454
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
flossandfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Oddometer: 282
dunlop 606

I put on a d606 on the rear of my xr650l last summer. I really like it, but I had a deathwing on it before so don't have much to compare to. Many tire reviews for my bike had positive reviews of a Pirelli mt21 front and Dunlop 606 rear and I am running that now. I figured on running dirt oriented tires to give the best performance where you need it. Will have to change more often though.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #3455
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary,Alberta
Oddometer: 1,569
researching

I have been doing a lot of research on tire pricing and tires as of late, mainly because my bike needs them. It varies from tire to tire and size to size as to how the saving (or not) go, from online to local. The unusual size that the 990 takes limits options somewhat. I just can't afford to run a nice soft knobby on the rear, much as I would like to. The commuting would ruin it so fast. I ride my bike every day, rain or shine (during our all too short season) and need a 50/50 tire. So far the best bang for the buck is still the Hiedenau K60, as it lasts an average of 16,000 km and I abuse it. The TKC80 which I prefer in that size lasts 1/2 that long and costs $60.00 more on average. For some reason the online pricing on both those tires amounts to about $10 over local pricing, before shipping which make buying them online pointless.

I have been running a TKC 80 on my front since I bought the bike, but they always wear the same way regardless of how carefull you are with pressure. The 1 knob, 2 knob down the center design is the problem, with the dual lugs always wearing the rear edges off until they are gone altogether.Research found that most guys like the Michelin T-63 as a replacement because it has dual knobs in a staggered pattern all the way around the center. The lugs are slightly farther apart and off-set around the outer edge making it slightly more aggressive which hopefully will work better in the dirt and almost as good on pavement. They are reported to wear much better than the TKC, and time will tell. I am trying to stretch out my TKC until the month's end so the new one will be as fresh as possible for my trip.

The 90/90 21 size of the front lends itself to a huge variety of tire choices, both DOT and not, and an even wider range in prices. I paid $125.00 for my new Michelin at Blackfoot. That same tire is $63.00 at Motorcycle Superstore, but they would not ship(tires) to Canada.

If I thought I could have held off until I was in Montana or Idaho, I would have bought one down there and changed it in the parking lot. If the rear was a significant difference in price stateside I would buy one during the trip, but it isn't worth the trouble for about $10.

Depending on the sizes of tire your machine takes it can be a huge savings to buy from online places in both Canada (like MX-1) or stateside. Only my front tire seems to fall into that category.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595530
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702314
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #3456
Lav1200
Pig Pen
 
Lav1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
positive reviews of a Pirelli mt21 front and Dunlop 606 rear
That's the combo I have used most often on my 610 Husky... works great for me. There's always a comprimise, particulalry when you need to mix pavement with gravel, dirt, mud, rocks, roots, etc.
__________________
'11 Gas Gas EC250
'06 KTM 950 Adv
'79 Laverda 1200
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #3457
Lav1200
Pig Pen
 
Lav1200's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I just can't afford to run a nice soft knobby on the rear, much as I would like to.
Lee - the problem is you have too many cylinders - disconnect one of them and your knobbies will last way longer :)
__________________
'11 Gas Gas EC250
'06 KTM 950 Adv
'79 Laverda 1200
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #3458
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
Also, do you HAVE to use their odd size tires? Often you can get away with a similar size tire no problem, even if you have to raise the forks a bit to compensate, etc.

Not sure when my next border run will be, but I'll let ppl know. Check tire pricing from Chapparel Motorsports out of Cali. Cheap tires and free shipping! Tires are there in three days. RMATV are the same deal but tires are considered oversize.

Hiedenau K60 with probably be my next trip tire. Problem is they have sky rocketed in price in recent years. Still probably one of the best bang for buck tires but they used to be dirt cheap too. Kenda K270 seems to have it's followers and last forever too. Reported as not good on big bikes with their weak, squirmy handling.


REDCAT said he is down in Eureka this week. Maybe you can contact him and still have time for him to do a pick-up? Generally the pickup takes longer than the border crossing payments.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #3459
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Also, do you HAVE to use their odd size tires? Often you can get away with a similar size tire no problem, even if you have to raise the forks a bit to compensate, etc.

Not sure when my next border run will be, but I'll let ppl know. Check tire pricing from Chapparel Motorsports out of Cali. Cheap tires and free shipping! Tires are there in three days. RMATV are the same deal but tires are considered oversize.

Hiedenau K60 with probably be my next trip tire. Problem is they have sky rocketed in price in recent years. Still probably one of the best bang for buck tires but they used to be dirt cheap too. Kenda K270 seems to have it's followers and last forever too. Reported as not good on big bikes with their weak, squirmy handling.


REDCAT said he is down in Eureka this week. Maybe you can contact him and still have time for him to do a pick-up? Generally the pickup takes longer than the border crossing payments.
I don't know if you consider a F650GS Dakar a "big" bike, but I run 270's almost exclusively. They are one great adventure tire (by adventure I mean limited pavement). They last a long time, and have decent traction in most loose conditions. Yeah they are squirmy, but in the dry they hold pavement fine (I have a pic somewhere showing how the knobs will rub again each other, when the chicken strip is on the outside edge)...in the wet on pavement with low pressures they have let me down. I can get 10K out of a rear and almost 20K out of a front (depending on conditions...they wear more quickly on really chunky rocks).
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #3460
IanInCalgary
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 72
Shibby,

This will be my second set of D606s. I had them on my DRZ when I rode with you and floss last year. I ride quite conservatively (except when riding with floss - he brings out the hooligan in everybody!) so expect to get about 8 k out of them. I've got about 5 k on them so far and will need a fresh set for the CDT ride with Lycan in July.

They grip well enough for my needs. I have to scootch up onto the tank when going around gravel corner to keep the front biting but that is likely required regardless what tire I use. The back has good traction for all the riding I've done so far - I try to avoid deep mud.

My only complaint is the noise! They are quite noisy on pavement and it can be bothersome if riding more than a few minutes on the slab.

I've heard good and bad about the MT21, but have not heard any bad about the D606.

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #3461
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
I don't know if you consider a F650GS Dakar a "big" bike, but I run 270's almost exclusively. They are one great adventure tire (by adventure I mean limited pavement). They last a long time, and have decent traction in most loose conditions. Yeah they are squirmy, but in the dry they hold pavement fine (I have a pic somewhere showing how the knobs will rub again each other, when the chicken strip is on the outside edge)...in the wet on pavement with low pressures they have let me down. I can get 10K out of a rear and almost 20K out of a front (depending on conditions...they wear more quickly on really chunky rocks).

It's getting there.. =)

By big bike I meant GS, Tiger, Vstrom, 950/990, etc.

I've heard the K270's last forever. Not sure how they do that but 10K out of a rear is great, especially considering their cost! Not the nicest looking tire, but lets face it, this isn't a fashion show.

For 606's I've heard lack of front grip being the big complaint. The rear has decent traction, but not as good as others. The big complaint was lateral slip, sometimes unexpected. Noise also an issue. Since you brought that up, the MT21 rear was noisy as well when upright. Stopped when leaned over. I wear ear plugs and it wasn't too bad.

I'd run one to see if the sayings were true, but I'd rather stick to what tried and tested and let my buddys wander, only to return to the IT's =)

Most of my local riding is done on dirt bike take offs. Mainly my Bridgestone 40* and 20*. Their a solid tire but wear quick on the heavier bike and on pavement. They're free for me so I use them anyways.

Speaking of which, the normal Maxxis IT's have been holding up on my dirt bike quite well. I've got hundreds (500-800kms) of trail miles on them and 3 track days. Trails included everything from local mud / rock to Kooc sand. They even worked pretty good last Sunday in the rain and wet rocks / roots. As well as I can expect out of slippery conditions. I haven't rode normal IT's for years but they were on the bike when I bought it. This weekend will be on a used M403 (Bridgestone) and... I think an old M59 front.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #3462
Lycan1
Grizzly herder
 
Lycan1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary,Alberta
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Lee - the problem is you have too many cylinders - disconnect one of them and your knobbies will last way longer :)
It might be the wrist controlling those cylinders. Probably help if I didn't commute with the bike, but that won't happen until the snow flies. Hell I'd ride it to work all year and go studded in winter, except the OTHER MOTORISTS WOULD PROBABLY RUN OVER ME on the icy roads.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595530
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702314
Uhaul, it's part of the KTM experience.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #3463
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure
 
MCMXCIVRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
It might be the wrist controlling those cylinders. Probably help if I didn't commute with the bike, but that won't happen until the snow flies. Hell I'd ride it to work all year and go studded in winter, except the OTHER MOTORISTS WOULD PROBABLY RUN OVER ME on the icy roads.
I'm with you, I commute in all weather on my F800GS. Love doing so when its plastered with mud from the fun riding My K60s are doing pretty well too, better than the TKCs. I do have a few chunks chewed out of the rear from Death Valley this spring, but they still have likely the rest of the season in them.
__________________
Ed

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #3464
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
It's getting there.. =)

By big bike I meant GS, Tiger, Vstrom, 950/990, etc.

I've heard the K270's last forever. Not sure how they do that but 10K out of a rear is great, especially considering their cost! Not the nicest looking tire, but lets face it, this isn't a fashion show.

For 606's I've heard lack of front grip being the big complaint. The rear has decent traction, but not as good as others. The big complaint was lateral slip, sometimes unexpected. Noise also an issue. Since you brought that up, the MT21 rear was noisy as well when upright. Stopped when leaned over. I wear ear plugs and it wasn't too bad.

I'd run one to see if the sayings were true, but I'd rather stick to what tried and tested and let my buddys wander, only to return to the IT's =)

Most of my local riding is done on dirt bike take offs. Mainly my Bridgestone 40* and 20*. Their a solid tire but wear quick on the heavier bike and on pavement. They're free for me so I use them anyways.

Speaking of which, the normal Maxxis IT's have been holding up on my dirt bike quite well. I've got hundreds (500-800kms) of trail miles on them and 3 track days. Trails included everything from local mud / rock to Kooc sand. They even worked pretty good last Sunday in the rain and wet rocks / roots. As well as I can expect out of slippery conditions. I haven't rode normal IT's for years but they were on the bike when I bought it. This weekend will be on a used M403 (Bridgestone) and... I think an old M59 front.
I have been a fan of the Maxxis IT's for years, a great durable all rounder for mixed terrain. I wish they would get DOT approval, because I have a feeling they would work pretty well on the road

The Kenda Trackmasters rears are OK, but suck for cornering in the loose stuff because of the tread pattern. They wear very hard, but have a tendency to chunk. I wouldn't go bigger that a big "dirt" bike with them (KTM 640/690).
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #3465
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,646
I wouldn't know anything about how they do on the road.........


Between myself and friends we probably have 90-105,000 KM's on the Desert IT tires. I have ~40K alone.

No chunking, solid feel, dependable in the turns. Very solid feeling. I bet I've been near peg scrapping for hours attempting to overheat them or have one step out. No luck.

It's nice to have a tire where you can bust down some dirt roads, hit some single track, pop out on a highway and lean the bike way over and then repeat back on the trail with confidence.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014