Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #3496
ExpatADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
The ride was fun but we got expatADV onto road that his bike was not made for. He made it all the way to the lake and back though. Sorry again expatADV.

I don't know the loop way to go to Margaret lake, we just went in and out the same way.

Did you sweep for the sunday races then go for a ride?

Flossandlfy - Its the rider that wasn't meant for that trail, the bike wouldn't have had as much trouble in the right hands. I think Tenere might be Berber for "Tractor" not desert....

It was challenging but fun to say the least. Looking forward to our next ride!
ExpatADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #3497
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I look forward to a few more rides before the end of the season. There are plenty of fun "tenere friendly" trails around.

I guess it is possible to go part way down the powderface trail from the north side, then turn around when the road is no good. Another fun ride is stud creek road in waiprous area, went there early in the season and it was nice.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #3498
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie348 View Post
Just curious - will this work with my Motion X GPS software on my IPad?
I will try to send details once I track them but I have no GPS device other than phone and ipad.
There may be a way but I doubt it would be simple to convert the file formats. you can convert a garmin file to a .gpx and load it up in lots of devices but I'm not familiar with what you are using. you could try and see if there is a garmin app for the iOs that you could use to interface with basecamp, I seem to recall there is. Garmins are cheaper than phones but alas, not quite as good for touring. I end up with both on the Dakar.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #3499
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
I look forward to a few more rides before the end of the season. There are plenty of fun "tenere friendly" trails around.

I guess it is possible to go part way down the powderface trail from the north side, then turn around when the road is no good. Another fun ride is stud creek road in waiprous area, went there early in the season and it was nice.
I rode Powderface last Saturday and yes it is still barricaded but we went around those and it was the best time I have had on Powderface. The road is in great shape and all the bridges are fixed. There are still a few washouts along the side of the road to keep an eye out for but no trouble at all passing them on a bike. A truck or car would have no problem either I think.
And the best thing was no other traffic at all!

Cheers
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #3500
MTNRiderAB
Information Sponge

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
I rode Powderface last Saturday and yes it is still barricaded but we went around those and it was the best time I have had on Powderface. The road is in great shape and all the bridges are fixed. There are still a few washouts along the side of the road to keep an eye out for but no trouble at all passing them on a bike. A truck or car would have no problem either I think.
And the best thing was no other traffic at all!

Cheers
I was camping @ Sibbald lake the other weekend and talking to the campground attendant. He was saying that the road is closed for political reasons; Shell wants approval to widen the road so they can get bigger rigs back there, and they are keeping the road closed until they get it.

MTNRiderAB screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 09:16 AM Reason: poor typing skills
MTNRiderAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #3501
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNRiderAB View Post
I was camping @ Sibbald lake the other weekend and talking to the campground attendant. He was saying that the road is closed for political reasons; Shell wants approval to widen the road so they can get bigger rigs back there, and they are keeping the road closed until they get it.

I hope that doesn't happen.

I'm pi**ed at how oilfield companies make all these roads, then close them down with gates. I know they don't want people in the back country but if I see a road I want to take it. Especially where these roads go!

Look on Google Maps and see where all their rigs are. Would be great riding.

As mentioned earlier. Too many restrictions here. Parks, gates, no access signs, and rich people who own all the good land and say you can't cross it to gain access to water, etc. Not to mention all the rules saying " you can't go there" and threaten to ticket you if you are caught, but they do a half ass attempt a regulating.

/rant.

I've only been on Powderface Trail a few times (which is good enough for me), but I'd hate to see it a highway or massive gravel road.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #3502
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
There may be a way but I doubt it would be simple to convert the file formats. you can convert a garmin file to a .gpx and load it up in lots of devices but I'm not familiar with what you are using. you could try and see if there is a garmin app for the iOs that you could use to interface with basecamp, I seem to recall there is. Garmins are cheaper than phones but alas, not quite as good for touring. I end up with both on the Dakar.
Gps bable works well to covert files, and it,s free

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #3503
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
Gps bable works well to covert files, and it,s free
yup, agreed. it does
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #3504
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I'm pi**ed at how oilfield companies make all these roads, then close them down with gates. I know they don't want people in the back country but if I see a road I want to take it. Especially where these roads go!

Really? In today's day and age of litigation and lack of taking responsibility for yourself the oil companies have to block off access to these sites. Many are actually dangerous sites and people could injure themselves without the proper knowledge and training. Not to mention the road wouldn't exist in the first place without them. They have every right to restrict access.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #3505
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Really? In today's day and age of litigation and lack of taking responsibility for yourself the oil companies have to block off access to these sites. Many are actually dangerous sites and people could injure themselves without the proper knowledge and training. Not to mention the road wouldn't exist in the first place without them. They have every right to restrict access.

Cheers

Sounds like you are and oilfield guy.

In many states all the same roads that are open for use and maintained very, very well. Restrictions are limited.

I much prefer this.

Shibby! screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 10:50 AM
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #3506
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like you are and oilfield guy.
Isn't everyone in Calgary!

I have found that most of the blocked off roads are usually small spur roads that just dead end at some gas plant or well head anyway. Not really missing too much there. Plus I haven't seen too many gates that can't be circumvented by someone on a bike if you really want to check it out.
But yes I get your point.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #3507
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Isn't everyone in Calgary!

I have found that most of the blocked off roads are usually small spur roads that just dead end at some gas plant or well head anyway. Not really missing too much there. Plus I haven't seen too many gates that can't be circumvented by someone on a bike if you really want to check it out.
But yes I get your point.

Cheers

You missed my "revised" post... It had something to do with your post..

But no, I'm not an oil guy.

Some of those well heads are in some amazing places, or as an outdoor enthusiest, an easy way of gaining access to whats around those wellheads.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #3508
ExpatADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Kootenays ride this weekend

I'm planning to head out for Radium and Invermere on Saturday AM to check out Paradise Mine and Mineral King and some of the other ones on the road out behind Panorama - Toby Creek. If the day gets too long I will camp. PM me if your interested in coming along.
ExpatADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #3509
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
You missed my "revised" post... It had something to do with your post..

But no, I'm not an oil guy.

Some of those well heads are in some amazing places, or as an outdoor enthusiest, an easy way of gaining access to whats around those wellheads.
I was bracing myself for a big brouhaha. I have been reading in jo mama for to long.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #3510
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNRiderAB View Post
So this isn't true, I work for Shell and we have a few wells and a large compressor station about 30kms west of Bragg Creek. When the bridge washed out by Allen Bill pond and Powderface washed out we had no way to access the compressor station or the wells, which we weren't worried about the production but if we had a gas release we had no way to get to it. So Shell got approval from the government to do the repairs to Powderface trail because it would be easier to repair for access than the bridge. Shell payed to repair the Powderface trail and once the bridge was replaced we handed it back over to the government with no reimbursement. The government are now the ones that have it closed and it is not at all for oil and gas reasons but waiting for it to be properly repaired.

Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote