User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #3586
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
Calgarians that dualsport

So powder face is still closed. Not sure why. Trail is in good shape. At least that's what I'm told. Don't know about the whole trail, but I hear its great! ;)
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3587
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Floss&Fly and myself rode in from 22 on 532 a few weeks ago - we made it by the first two washouts (the second was fun, a bit challenging) but the third (right before the hump) was a show stopper for our bigger bikes (KTM 950 Adventure and a VStrom). We agreed our XR's could probably make it. It was a real mess, and it didn't look like it would be fixed any time soon. I've been meaning to post the video, I'll try and get to it so people can see what it looks like.

XSoCal, I'd like to see the video of what it looks like when you get around to posting your vid.

I have a couple of days this weekend (Fri/Sat) to go for a ride.
What would you guys recommend for points south on an overnight trip keeping in mind all the closures we still have going on.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #3588
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

We were thinking of Dutch Creek (failed attempt this spring), Allison Creek or Lynx to the south...
Can we get across the Gap (Maycroft on my map) if the 532 and 40 are still out of commission? If so, are there gates headed north on 940 from Coleman that would need to be negotiated should one get through on one of the other routes?
Time is limited this season as well as this weekend so we'd like to get some quality exploring in before the snow flies. Would it be better just to motor down the 22 and get to better riding around Coleman than to fight our way through washouts on 940?
Thanks for the input and suggestions.
Paul
Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #3589
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Lycan
I had seen your link prior to posting - great looking route.
I am also waiting on a few parts but hopefully UPS will arrive on schedule Thursday...
I think we were planning on a motel in Coleman or elsewhere down there. I've got to either pare down my camping gear or get some panniers before trying any of the more rustic overnight spots.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #3590
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I usually break out the Dry bag/s if I have to pack the warm sleeping bag, since otherwise everything fits in the big plastic Gobi bags. Motel is nice to though. This is another useful link, albeit less than useful off the main routes: http://511.alberta.ca/ab/en.html#l=3...&y=6802017&z=1

We think alike...

The comments on 532 were not encouraging...from the 511 page

Highway 532Forestry Trunk Road to Jct Hwy 22
Details
  • road closed
Activity Information
  • Highway 532 from junction Forestry Trunk road to Johnson Creek Bridge remains closed. As the damage visited on this area during the flooding was significant our consultants and engineers are continuing to assess the damage. However subject to addressing environmental concerns, safety matters, construction and weather issues we estimate that this route will reopen to the public in or around mid-November 2013.
Last UpdateTue Sep 10 2013 at 09:01 AM MDT

This link was informative as well. Lots of photos for those of you that haven't seen enough already.
https://www.transportation.alberta.c...OOD_PHOTOS.pdf
Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3591
ExpatADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
We were thinking of Dutch Creek (failed attempt this spring), Allison Creek or Lynx to the south...
Can we get across the Gap (Maycroft on my map) if the 532 and 40 are still out of commission? If so, are there gates headed north on 940 from Coleman that would need to be negotiated should one get through on one of the other routes?
Time is limited this season as well as this weekend so we'd like to get some quality exploring in before the snow flies. Would it be better just to motor down the 22 and get to better riding around Coleman than to fight our way through washouts on 940?
Thanks for the input and suggestions.
Paul

Did the Gap back in early August I think and it was fine. No washouts or anything. Also, Hwy 40 south to Coleman was clear too after the gap from Maycroft.
ExpatADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #3592
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
After a gong-show of a summer with little time to ride, I really want to get out this weekend.

Lycan/group - if you're still planning on heading down to Waterton Sat/Sun I'd love to join. Not sure if I can do both days, but will ride Sat at a minimum. Looking forward to getting out.

Cheers!
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #3593
wylie348
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Blackfoot GS course

Just did the Blackfoot GS course yesterday - great job by the instructors Richard and Tobi! What a blast - dropped my bike so many times I dont remember how many! Great skills course - highly suggested for anyone like me with little experience off road!
Now I am ready for the real nasty stuff!
wylie348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #3594
noved
Whitehorse

Oddometer: 62
Saturday 14th

A few of us are heading out to Mclean for a morning of single track PM me if your interested.

Cheers
Whitehorse
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #3595
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie348 View Post
Just did the Blackfoot GS course yesterday - great job by the instructors Richard and Tobi! What a blast - dropped my bike so many times I dont remember how many! Great skills course - highly suggested for anyone like me with little experience off road!
Now I am ready for the real nasty stuff!
Sounds good! Hopefully we can do Limestone some point this month or early October?

I went dirt biking Sunday at Waiparous, spent 7 hours exploring lots of trails, getting lost (goodbye Margret Lake, now WTF are we?), getting found (hello Hunters Valley!) Luckily the KDX has a huge tank! Sad to see all the clear cutting around the gravel pit and Bible Camp road.

The maps they put out seem to be lacking a lot of detail, and the trails aren't all marked. Tough to follow, so we just rode. Don't have a Garmin to download the tracks, but maybe it would be a good idea? Anybody try this?

Rode through sun, heat, hail, pouring rain, drizzle, more sun. Typical Foothill weather! Man, I missed dirt biking... My KDX has been essentially 'retired' since 1991. Started on first or second kick every time. Want to get as much in as I can before the weather turns. Might try to get out Sunday for some more... Need to get a camera to take some pics to share here.

Noved, what time do you plan on starting the Saturday ride at McLean? I have plans mid afternoon but might be able to do a quick loop.

Cheers

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #3596
wylie348
Adventurer

Limestone

Hey Dean - sounds like you had a blast! I have another friend here in Sundre who would like to do limestone with us - he is just waiting for repairs to finish up on his KLR from a recent bad spill.
I am hoping towards the end of sept - things are already cooling off in the morning and evening here so I don't want to go too late.
I will touch base with my friend but he hopes to have the bike back soon.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #3597
wylie348
Adventurer

Question Clothing

By the by I forgot to ask - does anyone know where I can sell my coat and pants from Revit? Bought them in a hurry from Blackfoot last year but the pants are too big and I have worn the set only three times so in excellent condition. I also have a brand new never worn pair of boots size 9.
Thanks for any ideas!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #3598
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
There's a flea market on this site. List 'em there. Kijiji is good too.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #3599
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
I should be able to come too. I'm waiting on a call to go to work but it likely won't be this week. As long as the startup meeting isn't monday I'm fine. I'll know for sure friday afternoon. stoked to get out for one last camping trip on the dak...
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #3600
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
Sounds good! Hopefully we can do Limestone some point this month or early October?

I went dirt biking Sunday at Waiparous, spent 7 hours exploring lots of trails, getting lost (goodbye Margret Lake, now WTF are we?), getting found (hello Hunters Valley!) Luckily the KDX has a huge tank! Sad to see all the clear cutting around the gravel pit and Bible Camp road.

The maps they put out seem to be lacking a lot of detail, and the trails aren't all marked. Tough to follow, so we just rode. Don't have a Garmin to download the tracks, but maybe it would be a good idea? Anybody try this?

Rode through sun, heat, hail, pouring rain, drizzle, more sun. Typical Foothill weather! Man, I missed dirt biking... My KDX has been essentially 'retired' since 1991. Started on first or second kick every time. Want to get as much in as I can before the weather turns. Might try to get out Sunday for some more... Need to get a camera to take some pics to share here.

Noved, what time do you plan on starting the Saturday ride at McLean? I have plans mid afternoon but might be able to do a quick loop.

Cheers

Dean
Yes the garmin is a good idea as there are a lot of trails that are not marked on the map so navigation can be confusing. I have one on my bars with a ram mount and I'm never lost even if I don't know precisely where I'm going. The marked trails are also the worst ones because they are often giant mud holes. the good stuff is unmarked and therefore illegal. you can use the GPS to either stay on the legal trails or navigate once you are off them. Can't plead stupid to the rangers if they catch you though...
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote