Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #3736
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 721
Gonna be a beautiful weekend for a ride. But I have to go to Deadmonton instead. DAMMIT!!!!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #3737
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Jasper @ 0 degrees

Well I made it through my overnight trip to the Columbia Icefield - glad I did it, although it was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. 734 to Nordegg took much longer than I expected; a lot of it was deep/fresh gravel that I just couldn't get the speed up on with the bike fully loaded, had to slow down to 50 kph in some areas, especially blind curves. Where there was a tire line I could get over 100, but overall that leg took 1-2 hours longer than I had figured. Got gas in Nordegg and had a good chat with a "real" Harley rider, cool guy, I was surprised that he liked the 950 Adventure so much. Scenic run in to Jasper National Park, but it was getting pretty cold by the time I got to the Icefield Campground, which was really nice, I got a site right next to the stream. All my gear worked well, even the freeze dried Stroganoff wasn't too bad. Up at 7 am to pack up as the snow was falling, making it a bit harder to get everything to fit compared to in my garage. A bit of ice heading home and I know now I need better heated grips in the 0-4 degree range. Beautiful weather once I got to lower altitudes. Ready for Alaska in 2014!

734 got pretty deserted at times...

Riding in to Jasper National Park

Made it!

Lycan, did you make it all the way through on 532?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #3738
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Nice pictures!

Tip for traveling. If you have to spend time packing things *just* right to make it fit, you either need to improve your system or pack less stuff.

It will save a ton of stress in the future.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #3739
Daandus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
1/2" from Blackfootdirect work great and you can pull them out at the end of the season and use up the tire.

http://www.blackfootdirect.com/p-153...screw-box.aspx
Seems that this is what I'm looking for. U think a box of 250 pieces will get me through the winter? Only need to do two tires... :-D

Besides that, what is the cheapest rear knobbly which is still road legal (my rear is a bit worn, so it might not take a 1/2" stud without dmaaging the tube...), and sort of acceptable quality? My immigration process didn't get me past that yet, neither where to order tires online for a good price or whether there is a good shop for that? I'll mount them myself.

Daandus screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 08:56 PM
Daandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #3740
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Nice pictures!

Tip for traveling. If you have to spend time packing things *just* right to make it fit, you either need to improve your system or pack less stuff.

It will save a ton of stress in the future.
Thanks!

Yeah, part of the goal of this trip was to figure out in practice what's necessary and what I really don't need. Cut some things off the list. But a big thing for me is how ready for repairs to be. My first tool kit weighed 17 pounds! I do all my mechanic work myself and like to be able to rebuild major components by the road side. But perhaps that is just not realistic. And things like, is it better to carry two spare tubes, or just a repair kit...all part of the learning process for planning trips.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #3741
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Thanks!
. And things like, is it better to carry two spare tubes, or just a repair kit...all part of the learning process for planning trips.
A tip learned in Mexico, used in Ecuador and Argentina, now brought to you here:
Don't bother with carrying tubes or a patch kit. A few wraps of electrical tape will last well over 2 weeks. That's enough time to find a shop to buy a replacement. A roll is smaller than tubes, takes up less space than a patch kit and is useful for other things.

Also, don't carry tools in your panniers. Build something for around skid plate. Your subframe will thank you.
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #3742
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
A tip learned in Mexico, used in Ecuador and Argentina, now brought to you here:
Don't bother with carrying tubes or a patch kit. A few wraps of electrical tape will last well over 2 weeks. That's enough time to find a shop to buy a replacement. A roll is smaller than tubes, takes up less space than a patch kit and is useful for other things.

Also, don't carry tools in your panniers. Build something for around skid plate. Your subframe will thank you.
Great tips, thanks! I never thought of electrical tape - considering that I never leave home without it anyway, sounds like a perfect temporary solution!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #3743
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daandus View Post
Seems that this is what I'm looking for. U think a box of 250 pieces will get me through the winter? Only need to do two tires... :-D

Besides that, what is the cheapest rear knobbly which is still road legal (my rear is a bit worn, so it might not take a 1/2" stud without dmaaging the tube...), and sort of acceptable quality? My immigration process didn't get me past that yet, neither where to order tires online for a good price or whether there is a good shop for that? I'll mount them myself.
I've had great success with the Mefo Super Explorer. Most tires are done in 1000K on my 990 Adventure, but I can get 7-8K HARD use out of these and they provide good off-road traction. On a smaller bike they'll last forever.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #3744
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Calgarians that dualsport

And things like, is it better to carry two spare tubes, or just a repair kit...all part of the learning process for planning trips.[/QUOTE]

Depending on the length if the trip and the terrain you'll be on, but I usually carry a spare front tube(can use it for rear as well if necessary) and a patch kit rather than 2 tubes. Extra glue and patches in the kit. Shale and cactuses can punch a tone of holes. And I never air down so as to prevent unnecessary pinch flats.

I've had a tube completely shredded and patches or tape alone aren't gonna help at all.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #3745
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Also, you aint fixing anything on the side of the road that needs parts you don't have.

A tool kit should still remain small and relatively light weight. Find tools that are smaller and lighter. You can spend big bucks if you want for titanium stuff, but there are alternatives that are plenty good enough for cheap. (ProPoint makes a slick little ratchet wrench that works to be both a screw driver and socket wrench in one. It's like 20$. Their universal bits, although not ideal for not stripping bolts, are super light and small) Normal bolts shouldn't be an issue. Get combo axle wrench / tire spoon levers. (Motion pro makes ultra light ones I want, but they shipped the wrong ones prior to my trip and I sold to a friend. I just use my steel ones around here but next trip I'll have them.)

I've never tried electrical tape, but I had a standard duty tube and patch kit. I used the patch kit numerous times, and once the tube. Electrical tape won't fix a gash in the tube. Last resort is stuffing things in your tire =)

Also a front tube fits and works in a rear tire for temp use.

For gear, size can be reduced and weight, but I calculated it out to being around 300$/lb savings. Pick how much you want to lose. That being said you shouldn't have more than 60-70 liters of stuff. Ditch the rest. If cooking your own food you might have a bit more. Considering ditching that idea too.

Packing light and small is key. You'll hate life if you dont and if you don't you won't realize how nice it is to be packed light. Everything is quicker and easier. Most times you don't need the stuff you didn't bring.

For a sleeping pad check out the new NeoAir. Ultra light, ultra warm, and reasonably affordable (especially considering alternatives). It's on my wish list. I used the UL7.5 and froze my ass most nights with a +5 bag. Lessons learnt.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #3746
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
+1000

Part of the fun of breaking down is getting the thing to a workshop with the few select tools you have got, or just get towed by your mate, and fix the thing with their tools if they let you. Most non-western workshops will think you're some flushed with cash noob, so the surprise on their faces when you get stuck in and dirty is priceless. Plus you can learn a lot in bush mechanics, which is priceless information, and make friends in the process.

I like to use socket adapters for use with hex wrenches myself. Saves taking a ratchet. The biggest weight in any leverage tool is the stem so it makes sense to use what you already have. The tire irons with a motionpro adapter is for the torque. Terra X makes dedicated trail tools which are strong and compact.
http://terra-x.com.au/

A lighter option for mats are peak elite mats. I prefer vertical baffles. Like exped this company makes the outside ones bigger for both warmth and comfort.

http://hyaliteequipment.com/sleeping...-elite-ac-peac

tmotten screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 05:54 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #3747
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:

Electrical tape won't fix a gash in the tube.
That, I'm not sure about... It works really well as a temp solution. The only way to know would be to try it. Obviously not a trial on a trip, but a more controlled environment.

If I get some time and a box of beer, I'll cut a tube. Let's say a 2" cut, tape it and we'll see if it holds up.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #3748
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
+1000
When you moving to Calgary?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #3749
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
For a sleeping pad check out the new NeoAir. Ultra light, ultra warm, and reasonably affordable (especially considering alternatives). It's on my wish list. I used the UL7.5 and froze my ass most nights with a +5 bag. Lessons learnt.
I'm surprised, I thought the UL7 looked good. Crazy how much these things cost, considering what you get. Right now I have a Thermorest for backpacking. It's OK but not super small

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Terra X makes dedicated trail tools which are strong and compact.
http://terra-x.com.au/
They certainly have some nice tools! I have a pretty big tool collection, but maybe I should invest in a bike only kit. I actually have quite a bit of bush wrenching experience; it is part of the adventure for sure. I suppose I've had drilled into me the more prepared you are going into a situation, the higher chance for success. Had to fix a busted U joint on a skidder once, in deep mud, driving rain, 100 miles in to a site with open water access only. Got to have a Zen approach to stuff like that! But yeah, time to let go of my 18" flex head 1/2' drive ratchet I guess!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #3750
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Apparently the strikes are over so hopefully in a month or 2.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote