Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #4006
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
All I'd like is there to be closer representations of the "unicorn"

Tuned down 450/500, basic comfort, good suspension, relaxed service intervals, good stator and lighting (or at least good stator), not weigh too much, and simple design.

I can dream..
True... A 450/500 with 5K-7K service intervals that actually HAS a rear subframe, a seat that isn't a 2X4, a fuel tank bigger than a thimble, 6th gear for highway... Oh wait, that's a 690 with a few mods, ;)
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #4007
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,152
8000 km service intervals, real boingers, upgradeable stator, sub 300lbs 450 with a subframe? It looks like that GasGas is right up your ally (and maybe mine). It is fuel injected (I don't know if that counts as complicated or not.

It looks like the engine is the BMW G450x, with the sprocket at the swing arm pivot and all.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #4008
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
See y'all at the shop Monday for a drooling
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #4009
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
True... A 450/500 with 5K-7K service intervals that actually HAS a rear subframe, a seat that isn't a 2X4, a fuel tank bigger than a thimble, 6th gear for highway... Oh wait, that's a 690 with a few mods, ;)

Small tank, fuel injection, and heavy. =) The 640ADV was a great bike if they could only balance the crank and maybe fix the head gasket issues. It's still a solid bike though. I'm amazed at the prices they list for still. They fetch nearly as much as lightly used 690's.

If the perfect bike came along it wouldn't be nearly as much fun to modify. I guess that leaves me with what to buy next. Somewhat leaning to a WRR to leave in the states to do fly and rides.

Anybody in the midst of a bike build? I like seeing what people do and prefer to modify on ADV bikes simply because there is not that one do-it-all bike.

How about trips? If people want a fun, challenging ride, the TOI T1 was/is amazing. Really opened our eyes to how awesome Idaho is. We'll be going back this year in an attempt to finish it. Last year we were 6 hours behind (due to illness) on day 4 when we had to stop because of fire closures. The scenery and riding is top notch. Only open for about 2-3 months so start planning now! July/Aug/Sept
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 09:10 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #4010
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Baja. Do Baja. Period.
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #4011
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:

Who's up for more dual sport trips this summer? I finally have more time off work and want to make some 3-4 day loops often. Maybe some exploring further west.

I will be running a 2 week on, 1 off schedule for a little while. Just let me know what/when you're planning something.

I'm always up for a beer, too.

Quote:

Anybody in the midst of a bike build? I like seeing what people do and prefer to modify on ADV bikes simply because there is not that one do-it-all bike.
You might say that.

Putting my Husky 510 back together.

dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #4012
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
How about trips? If people want a fun, challenging ride, the TOI T1 was/is amazing. Really opened our eyes to how awesome Idaho is. We'll be going back this year in an attempt to finish it. Last year we were 6 hours behind (due to illness) on day 4 when we had to stop because of fire closures. The scenery and riding is top notch. Only open for about 2-3 months so start planning now! July/Aug/Sept
Wow the TOI does look awesome. might have to add that to the list for this year....
where2next? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #4013
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
Wow the TOI does look awesome. might have to add that to the list for this year....
It is a good ride. The trails are amazing and Idaho is a great state. Nothing like pulling off a highway and starting a single track trail designed for hikers / mountain bike's and motorcycles, climbing switchbacks and 1000's of feet to ride the ridge line. Amazing stuff.

The switch backs were intense too. Steep grade and ultra steep turns. Most of them you find yourself wheeling and turning at the same time as there isn't room to make a normal turn. Your on full lock and loft the front to make it. So much fun! Some trails require a lot of attention as you it's super steep and trail is very narrow. Also overgrown badly in spots so the trail is hard to see at times, but it all becomes part of the adventure.

This year has been changed to include more singletrack. It's not so much the riding that's tough, but the hours on the trail and durations you need to finish to complete the days on schedule. It was more of a challenge than we thought going in, but at the same time we like to sleep only to find the requirement of riding at night.

Quote:
Baja. Do Baja. Period.
I've done Baja a few times. Good fun, but great riding doesn't require you to cross an entire country.

The start of the TOI is about 9 hours driving time.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #4014
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:

The switch backs were intense too. Steep grade and ultra steep turns. Most of them you find yourself wheeling and turning at the same time as there isn't room to make a normal turn. Your on full lock and loft the front to make it. So much fun! Some trails require a lot of attention as you it's super steep and trail is very narrow.
hmmmm, I'll need to perfect that move...
where2next? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #4015
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
hmmmm, I'll need to perfect that move...
It comes pretty natural when you are forced to do it!

Also helps with a bike that has big torque and it does it if you like it or not. Most you didn't have to, but you better have long legs because you have to do the ride up hill, roll back and finish the turn.

If you are interested, I highly suggest you do it. The riding is amazing along with the scenery. It's an informal competition so it doesn't matter when you do it or how long it takes you. If you want to go into the record books it's a sunrise to sunset ride every day with few stops for relaxation or pictures.

We're attempting to do it within the timeline. Only one person has done it on a XR650R, and not in the direction we're going (the harder direction of N-S).

Priest Lake is a beautiful lake with camping. Great place to stage and they allow you to leave your vehicle there in the parking lot at the entrance of the park. It's tight camping, but they have clean washrooms and showers. Lots of people from Washington camping when we were there. Book in advance. It was quite busy and we scored the last camp spot even with a reservation prior to us the trip.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #4016
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:

Amen! That's what I'm a doin' :)
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 AM   #4017
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,208
That was great getting out last night and seeing some familiar faces from summer riding. The CCM looks like the real deal as a true dual sport 450 - would love to partake in a demo ride if they can pull that off. Although I'm not in the market for another DS bike now - I could see my wife getting interested in it as a replacement for her old DR.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #4018
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 370
Eh? Ccm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
That was great getting out last night and seeing some familiar faces from summer riding. The CCM looks like the real deal as a true dual sport 450 - would love to partake in a demo ride if they can pull that off. Although I'm not in the market for another DS bike now - I could see my wife getting interested in it as a replacement for her old DR.
Da... I knew there was someplace I needed to be last night....Old age sucksI take it being the dealer they will continue to have a bike in their possession for the foreseeable future? Nice looking bike, bash-plate looks well made
Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #4019
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I am still considering a 690.
!
Don't forget about the 500EXC or 530 if you can find one. I have ridden a couple 690's to compare to. I have the 530EXC.

530 advantages
Initial cost
50lbs weight savings
Cost to mod is less
More capable
Equally comfortable on the slab
Better transmission spread (wide ratio)
Good rear rack available
Very easy to work on

690 Advantages
Maintenance intervals
Torquey engine
Subframe
Maybe some others I am forgetting....

I have not ridden the 500EXC yet but I am sure that it is somewhat better than the 530 in some areas as long as you don't prefer a carb.

Cheers
Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #4020
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 311
Heidenau's

In what will probably turn out to be a fit of unbridled optimism I mounted a set of K60 Scouts on my Super Tenere using my brand new NoMar Tire Changer. I am hoping the Heidenau's will help me get the bike to and from the pavement the next time we have a break in the weather. I really need to go for a ride!

I also learned that while the NoMar is a good tire changer, it isn't as easy to use as the demo video's make it look. At least not with the stock wheel blocks and with the stiff sidewalls of the Heidenau's. Still, it was a lot easier than the old manual method and will be easier next time after I get some additional accessories that I didn't know I needed to make the NoMar Tire changer work on Dual Sport tires.

Here's the new tires.

Cheers, David