Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #4021
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 343
Ccm

Reply from Lycan1

"The bike is in Winnipeg by now, but they have 2 on the way and the owner says he will have a test rider by spring. "

While you wait for a demo bike to show up, have a look at this if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9VhACv7nvE

Cheers, David
Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #4022
Stand Up
Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer: 360
Two year old NEW tires

Just bought new Tourance tires for the 1200GS. I didn't want old stock cuz rubber hardens over time, so I asked what the date of manufacture was - "they've been in the shop a couple of weeks" - bought them. Date stamp was 0412 - 4th week 2012. I suspect the supplier bought a bunch of old stock cheap. So.... always look at the tires before they are installed. If they are 2 years old, you had better get a good deal.
Stand Up
Stand Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #4023
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Up View Post
Just bought new Tourance tires for the 1200GS. I didn't want old stock cuz rubber hardens over time, so I asked what the date of manufacture was - "they've been in the shop a couple of weeks" - bought them. Date stamp was 0412 - 4th week 2012. I suspect the supplier bought a bunch of old stock cheap. So.... always look at the tires before they are installed. If they are 2 years old, you had better get a good deal.
Stand Up
Hey Brian... It's been awhile. I had a pair of Karoo 3's arrive via Canada Post recently from here. http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/
Reasonably priced with free shipping. Gonna give them a go on my AT and see what all the fuss is about. Still hard to beat a Tourance for an 'all rounder' tire.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #4024
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Those are some of the strangest tires I've seen
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #4025
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
Hey Brian... It's been awhile. I had a pair of Karoo 3's arrive via Canada Post recently from here. Reasonably priced with free shipping. Gonna give them a go on my AT and see what all the fuss is about. Still hard to beat a Tourance for an 'all rounder' tire.
Strange looking indeed, but I'd like to know how they perform. I guess you won't know about mud here for a while (which they look like they might be good at), but if you try them in snow post a review pls! I'm kind of irked with A Vicious Cycle - they told me they had a Mefo SE 150 in stock, so I ordered it plus a bunch of stuff I could have got in town but figured I'd do it all at once (tubes and a TKC front). They sent the other stuff and then told me the Mefo was all of a sudden backordered until the middle of March. I wish they had told me before they sent the part of the order I didn't really need - I don't want to wait until April...I canceled the Mefo and I'm now looking for alternatives. Almost bought a K60, but too many reports of them being bad in mud and wet grass, which is where I always seem to end up. TKC80 rear or 908's just wear too fast. Maybe the Karoo's are the way to go...
Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #4026
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,885
Tires!

They are all good nowadays. All these big rear knobby tires are great in mud and sand. However here in Alberta we don't get a lot of that. I guess my point is, why buy tires for 20% (maybe) of your riding. The standard stock tires are just as good if not better on our well maintained gravel roads. They will also last a lot longer and stay round (rear tires) than the knobbier type. Benefit of staying round is handling on paved corners which is most of your riding. IMHO, taking a dirt riding course is money better spent. I'm talking big Adventure bikes here not 650 Dualsports. Have to admit, I do run a K60 front tire and the odd time we get into the slippery stuff it helps. But the front K60 is very durable and stays round. I usually get around 15,000kms with aggressive riding.
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #4027
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
They are all good nowadays. All these big rear knobby tires are great in mud and sand. However here in Alberta we don't get a lot of that. I guess my point is, why buy tires for 20% (maybe) of your riding. The standard stock tires are just as good if not better on our well maintained gravel roads. They will also last a lot longer and stay round (rear tires) than the knobbier type. Benefit of staying round is handling on paved corners which is most of your riding. IMHO, taking a dirt riding course is money better spent. I'm talking big Adventure bikes here not 650 Dualsports. Have to admit, I do run a K60 front tire and the odd time we get into the slippery stuff it helps. But the front K60 is very durable and stays round. I usually get around 15,000kms with aggressive riding.
Why not get a cheap, short life knobby for the spring when it's muddy (or more likely to be) and swap it out in june for a high mileage tire when the weather gets nice for long trips? you might not wear out either set in a season this way because you'd split the miles between 2 sets of tires. changeing tires is not all that hard and the conditions can vary eneough to make this worth thinking about. I have 2 sets of tires for my truck (summer and winter), why not for my bike?.....
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #4028
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
I hear you about the round rear tire - I've only had the stock scorpions on once, for my long highway trip, but it was nice to have the sportbike feel in the corners again. That's why the Mefo looked good, as they get old they seem to keep their shape. But yeah, the problem probably really is I shouldn't have sold my 650XR and now try and ride the KTM 950 the same places!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #4029
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
FTR status

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask here. What the status of the FTR regarding road repairs after the flooding in 2013? Is there a site that identifies the problem areas? A group of flatlanders from the barrens of NE Alberta want to ride it this spring/early summer but we'd like to know what sections are open, which sections are closed. I've ridden the FTR a couple of times so I'm familair with the road, my riding partner have not.

Thanks for any help or info.

greg
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #4030
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
TIG Welder?

I need a small amount (about 2 linear inches) of TIG welding performed on carbon steel. Anyone have good experiences with a welder they can recommend in Calgary?

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #4031
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanInCalgary View Post
I need a small amount (about 2 linear inches) of TIG welding performed on carbon steel. Anyone have good experiences with a welder they can recommend in Calgary?

Ian
Trillion does small jobs on motorcycles.
It was aluminum in my case but they likely do steel too.

http://www.trillionindustries.com/#
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #4032
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
That's great news!

Thanks Lycan
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #4033
IanInCalgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteer View Post
Trillion does small jobs on motorcycles.
It was aluminum in my case but they likely do steel too.

http://www.trillionindustries.com/#
fasteer,

Thanks for the info. I'll give Trillion a call.

Ian
IanInCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #4034
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
There's no mud in Alberta? Ummm...

I completely disagree on stock tires. Death Wings (stock DRZ tires) and the likes are complete garbage and most dual sport bikes come with a very sacrificial tire heavily stanced to a paved or gravel ride style. The only dual sport I've had or seen that I wouldn't change the stock tires off immediately is my 990, but it came with 908's. If you're worried about tire wear/knobby wear then maybe just ride more dirt, lol! 100% of my riding is on knobbies and I live with knob wear and I also don't find that much of a lack in performance on pavement. Speed limits = just fine traction on pavement with knobbies. If you want sport bike handling in a corner (which is ghastly and very slow compared to anything with a 21" wheel in front imho... yes, I've had my share of street bikes) then maybe a second bike is the answer? Or as where2next said, a second set of tires/wheels.

Fwiw, I would have a hard time calling a K60 even a 50/50 tire. I really disliked them for off road and in mud they were plum useless. Sure, I got like 9000kms on the rear, but at a traction cost in dirt/mud/anything-but-pavement that I'm not prepared to pay. Plus, the K60's are a serious mofo to change/fix a flat... the safety bead on them is ridiculous. I would rather got through 3 sets of tires a year than pay that price in mud for any amount of time. I run the same tires on all my bikes at the moment. 908's. I'm thinking of switching to 606's this year even though they wear a bit faster and are louder on tarmac just so I can save a few bucks. 908's are pricey...

I'm DEFINITELY on the same page as far as getting off road experience. The courses would definitely benefit most riders looking to ride off road more and actually getting into the suck and riding and learning is invaluable! I've ridden some nasty stuff on a set of Dunlop 404's (same street tire Harley uses stock... LOL!) and rider skill counts for more than bike or tire performance. Confidence and skill is huge when not on the black stuff.
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #4035
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 790
Calgarians that dualsport

[QUOTE=RED CAT;23407065]All these big rear knobby tires are great in mud and sand. However here in Alberta we don't get a lot of that.

This doesn't say Alberta gets "no mud". Or am I reading it wrong? We don't get a lot of mud and I ain't buying a 908 for the rear every 900k. I'll throw down on some good knobby fronts for 90-120 a pop, but I'll stick to the Mefo rear for longevity and decent traction. The 990 eats 908 rears too easily. I can get 7000k out of a Mefo rear with same use no problem. Besides, the real PIA is not having good front wheel braking and steering IMHO.

And Redcat is mostly offroad or at the very least on gravel doing 160+ to boot! Not to mention older than my dad and makes the stock rubber on loose fire roads look easy to handle even at those speeds.

Beema Killa screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 09:52 PM
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote