User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #4066
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,591
Mixed Bag of Weather today

A group of us got out for a ride for the last time this season (as a group). It started our pretty iffy, weather wise, but turned out to be a nice day. We even got a bit of sun along Stud Creek road.

Saw a wee bit of snow just north of Harold Creek on the Trunk road, and frozen ponds. Mostly dry on the roads with a few sections of hero dirt..
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #4067
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Thanks for the pix Lee!
It was a great day for a ride and the route was a lot of fun. Here's hoping the snow holds off for a while to allow some more riding!
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #4068
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by payner View Post
Thanks for the pix Lee!
It was a great day for a ride and the route was a lot of fun. Here's hoping the snow holds off for a while to allow some more riding!

I really enjoy those roads that say "No Exit" and the green lanes. It was nice to get through that one so easily when most of the year it is a swamp. Next weekend has a good forecast so far, so who knows, I'll take what I can get.

09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #4069
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,746
Ride Tomorrow!

That is a gravel road ride tomorrow if anyone is interested. To Water Valley, Harold Creek Rd, 940 maybe YaHa Tinda then south home on 940. So I guess its an Adventure Bike ride rather than a Dualsport ride. Hoping Earl will come as he has an awesome route that way.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #4070
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
That is a gravel road ride tomorrow if anyone is interested. To Water Valley, Harold Creek Rd, 940 maybe YaHa Tinda then south home on 940. So I guess its an Adventure Bike ride rather than a Dualsport ride. Hoping Earl will come as he has an awesome route that way.
Ahhhh. The life of retirees.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #4071
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
[QUOTE=Lycan1;22602811]I really enjoy those roads that say "No Exit" and the green lanes. It was nice to get through that one so easily when most of the year it is a swamp. Next weekend has a good forecast so far, so who knows, I'll take what I can get.

[/QU
That is a fun spot. Was there alone earlier in the season and decided not to chance the big swamp. It is much drier now.
flossandfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #4072
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Tomorrow is ride day. Looks like the end is near with snow in the forecast for Sunday.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #4073
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Bah! That snow will melt by the next day... at least that's what I keep saying to myself through out winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Tomorrow is ride day. Looks like the end is near with snow in the forecast for Sunday.
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #4074
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
I really enjoy those roads that say "No Exit" and the green lanes. It was nice to get through that one so easily when most of the year it is a swamp. Next weekend has a good forecast so far, so who knows, I'll take what I can get.

Rode through there today, no where near that muddy. Actually its quite dry, just a bit soft with lots of ruts.

Had a good few hours out on the GS. Got to this point on one road and though it looked reasonably doable, I decided today was not the day for me being out solo.

looking back from the other end.

The water was flowing through there, not just a standing puddle. I went round to the other end off of Horse Creek road from the Dartique hall to see how it was there. Again, some mud holes and such that could be skirted around, but not today. I'll save this one for next summer perhaps.

Continued on from there to this "no through road", down to the 1a and back home through Cochrane.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #4075
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

I know that muddy road well. Are the gates still up? That last one looks new to me, where is it? You can pm me if you prefer.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 10-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #4076
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

There were no gates that I encountered, open or closed.

The last photo was on a road allowance that is off of Horse creek road. Heading south, If you stay straight where Horse Creek road makes a turn east your on the road allowance (look for the no exit sign) It comes out onto the 1a a mile east of Grand Valley road. Its about 3 miles of two track with a couple decent hills, so best not when too wet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #4077
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,746
Thats!

Range Rd 50. Nice little detour down to the 1A. Took it last Tuesday. Might be more like 5kms.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #4078
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
There were no gates that I encountered, open or closed.

The last photo was on a road allowance that is off of Horse creek road. Heading south, If you stay straight where Horse Creek road makes a turn east your on the road allowance (look for the no exit sign) It comes out onto the 1a a mile east of Grand Valley road. Its about 3 miles of two track with a couple decent hills, so best not when too wet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
You didn't go far enough then. There are 2 gates if you try to go right across to Horse Creek road. I used to love that unknown road.

Early last year, that same muddy road.

Quote:
Range Rd 50. Nice little detour down to the 1A. Took it last Tuesday. Might be more like 5kms.
Thanks, I know the spot now.
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 05:39 AM
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #4079
KyleKelso
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey guys I'm a new member and a new dualsport rider. Just bought my first bike, a KLX250, this year and am absolutely LOVING it! It's like riding my downhill mountain bike everywhere without having to pedal

If anyone is looking for someone to go for a good rip around before it gets too cold let me know. I'd love to make a run across powderface trail, infact I was going to go yesterday but it was getting late and my only couple buddies who ride weren't able to come so I tore down to check out Gorge creek trail instead (which is totally washed out by the way).

Anyways hope to meet some of you in my travels
Kyle
KyleKelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #4080
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Snow covered and icy in about 60% of the 35kms. Not nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKelso View Post
Hey guys I'm a new member and a new dualsport rider. Just bought my first bike, a KLX250, this year and am absolutely LOVING it! It's like riding my downhill mountain bike everywhere without having to pedal

If anyone is looking for someone to go for a good rip around before it gets too cold let me know. I'd love to make a run across powderface trail, infact I was going to go yesterday but it was getting late and my only couple buddies who ride weren't able to come so I tore down to check out Gorge creek trail instead (which is totally washed out by the way).

Anyways hope to meet some of you in my travels
Kyle
Welcome. Powderface is still blocked off as far as I know so on a weekend it can get expensive. One member received a $178.00 toll from "Fish & Feathers" at the east end on a weekend. As you can see from another member's post it is also getting a bit late in the season, unless you have studs or mad skills. It is however in better shape than it has ever been.

We might get a few nice days in yet so maybe I'll see you out there. a couple/few of us are heading south from the Tim's at Shawnessey at 10 a.m. today if you are around. Nothing too taxing, just back roads through Black Diamond, Longview and down toward 532. Pretty sure I can show a new road or two to you.

Lee
09 KTM 990 Adv