Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #4201
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
I managed to get out for a rip, but just around town running errands. Happy to say that my new-to-me 950 Adv is working great. I sure love the motor in it... the thing hauls pretty good. Can't wait to get it out for a long ride.

Supposed to be +20 on Tues... think I feel a bad cold/flu/food poisoning coming on.
Congrats on the 950 Adv - mine's a 2005. 80K kms on it and it still runs like a turbojet!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #4202
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Was great to get out on the backroads NW of town today. Saw another rider in front of us but couldn't id the bike or rider. Afterwards was nice to wash off the mud from that great run on hwy 532 last fall.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #4203
canehdian_guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I found a lot of good tracks in seemingly abandoned construction areas today. I had a ton of great spots up until all of this snow melted, mild inclines felt like steep hill climbs haha
canehdian_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #4204
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Gravel Road Sampler Pack

So I thought I'd post this for people new to the area or just interested - it's my gravel road sampler route. Nothing new to the locals, but it's a quick loop if you are in the NW and only have an hour or two to go out. I like it because it covers a wide range of road conditions, from very fast packed gravel/dirt to the loose stuff, some twisty parts, both flat and up and down hill curves as well. Plus there are a few mud runs if you wish, and it's kind of scenic in parts. I like to test different suspension settings and tire pressures and such, so I record them on the GPS and compare times. Yes, I'm a geek. But its good practice for me as well.

- where Twp 282 meets RR 34 there is a great mud pit going straight across, but you really need good tires for that.
- second mud run is up the hill marked near the end. Fine for XR's with good tires. Not so good for 950's with slicks!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #4205
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Looking at Xs's route I can say it is one of my standard routes when I need out for a quick spin. I live up in the area and it quick and easy to get. Some nice twisty sections, so heavily graveled sections. Overall a nice red. When you are time limited. It is also easy to pop out to water Valley area from about the 1/2 way point.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #4206
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
I managed to get out for a rip, but just around town running errands. Happy to say that my new-to-me 950 Adv is working great. I sure love the motor in it... the thing hauls pretty good. Can't wait to get it out for a long ride.

Supposed to be +20 on Tues... think I feel a bad cold/flu/food poisoning coming on.
Congrats on the bike. Carry lots of tools...

I'm so sick that I've already booked it in my calendar Tuesday

Hope to head out around 11 am. If no one esle is riding around here then I'm going to see how much gravel there is between here and a buddy's place just north of Silvan Lake.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #4207
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
anyone know how icy the FTR north of Wiaporous is?

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #4208
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
I found a lot of good tracks in seemingly abandoned construction areas today. I had a ton of great spots up until all of this snow melted, mild inclines felt like steep hill climbs haha
Not that I've ever been busted in construction zones (insert a guilty smirk here...) beware of places like that. Where2next and I have on occasion ventured to such places, but I can tell you that not only is it frowned upon, but I think it's also illegal... Construction guys really hate when their smooth graded surfaces have moto ruts in them and most of the time construction zones are private/no access areas. It's a grey area for sure, just be careful you don't get pinched, ;)

Posted trails, actual roads and green-lanes are your best bet.
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #4209
canehdian_guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Not that I've ever been busted in construction zones (insert a guilty smirk here...) beware of places like that. Where2next and I have on occasion ventured to such places, but I can tell you that not only is it frowned upon, but I think it's also illegal... Construction guys really hate when their smooth graded surfaces have moto ruts in them and most of the time construction zones are private/no access areas. It's a grey area for sure, just be careful you don't get pinched, ;)

Haha thanks for letting me know. Come to think of it some of my ruts were pretty gnarly in the wetter sections, I could see that bothering people
canehdian_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #4210
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post

yea..stay out of construction sites. nuff said.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #4211
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Thanks for the heads up lycan, and it won't be long before I get a kick at the can down there as well...

I'm just game planing a long ride coming up, so I'll let all know what I find...

Motorcycle Canada looks like a go.

JB
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #4212
wylie348
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Mclean Creek

I have yet to do anything in the Bragg Creek area, but if anyone is thinking of a ride when things dry out, please let me know as I would love to check the area out!
Thx,
Wylie
wylie348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #4213
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I was on the FTR from Hunters Valley to hwy 1A a month ago, and it was bone dry. You might hit super small sections in the shadded in parts, but you won't have any problem less the hidden from sun light nooks where the ice will need more time to melt.

I'm leaveing on Friday for 2 weeks to stay at the free dual sport camp this year at Nordegg, and the roads are super dry up there less the rain showers for a few days. The area up there is huge, and 5 to 6 fuel tanks of gas only covers 10% of all the roads up there, and free sound like a good plan for me.

The camera will be working double over time as I hope to get some pictures of the grizzly bear baits going in. Yum Yum.

JB
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #4214
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 310
Schuberth C3 Modular F/S

I have a nearly new helmet for sale. New price $700 + gst. Used only a few times. I have had surgery and can't use this helmet so, if interested, send me a PM and I can let you know what I am looking to get for it. Size is large and colour is silver. Here are a couple of photos. Cheers, David

Old 04-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #4215
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Possibly heading out to McLean or Waiporous this Sunday if I get off this lease tomorrow... Maybe even open to going on Saturday if I can get some air filters cleaned for the EXC. I'm open to planning something for big bikes or little bikes alike as I could go on either... Just gagging for a ride really. If nothing is going on I'll probably just head up the FTR to Trapper's and explore the roads in Waiporous to see how much melt has happened. I'm not a big fan of riding my 450 on the enduro loops solo...
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote