Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #4216
canehdian_guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Possibly heading out to McLean or Waiporous this Sunday if I get off this lease tomorrow... Maybe even open to going on Saturday if I can get some air filters cleaned for the EXC. I'm open to planning something for big bikes or little bikes alike as I could go on either... Just gagging for a ride really. If nothing is going on I'll probably just head up the FTR to Trapper's and explore the roads in Waiporous to see how much melt has happened. I'm not a big fan of riding my 450 on the enduro loops solo...
I was also planning on heading up there on my KLR. I've only got 6 months of riding under my belt though.
canehdian_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #4217
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdian_guy View Post
I was also planning on heading up there on my KLR. I've only got 6 months of riding under my belt though.
If I go on the 990 I'll be doing roads, wide tracks and pretty mild traveling really... Nothing h-core or single track. I'm pretty outta shape right now as the last time I rode was in January in Baja, lol! I'm game for showing some of the scenery around the Waiporous area
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #4218
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Pack some water and snacks. It is lots of work getting unstuck. One good thing to do is to ride the most dirt capable bike in your group, that way you are less likely to be taken anywhere too tricky. Good riders forget how hard it is to ride offroad as a new rider. (Nothing against good riders, just their perception of easy may not match yours)

Just noticed this post sounds like I am trying to warn you about captainchaos. That is not the case.

I hope to see you out on a ride this summer.

flossandfly screwed with this post 04-10-2014 at 09:40 AM
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #4219
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
Pack some water and snacks. It is lots of work getting unstuck. One good thing to do is to ride the most dirt capable bike in your group, that way you are less likely to be taken anywhere too tricky. Good riders forget how hard it is to ride offroad as a new rider. (Nothing against good riders, just their perception of easy may not match yours)

Just noticed this post sounds like I am trying to warn you about captainchaos. That is not the case.

I hope to see you out on a ride this summer.
Hahaha! I see my rep precedes me... Once upon a time I spent a night in McLean with a new-ish rider that wanted to tag along on a pretty sketchy loop... He broke and it was too dark to double him out... The rangers that came to rescue him in the morning also got stuck on their 4x4 quads... I did have a lot of fun, but I doubt everyone else did. I too can attest to what you say and have learned that what I think may be easy and doable isn't the case for everyone... Not saying that I'm pro, just that it's important to view the ride from a group perspective.

Fwiw, a KLR will go everywhere a 990 will and the route is a road, not a trail. Nothing a lot of people won't drive their cars in on May long. It's pretty slack and I like it more for the scenery than the challenge. It's a good spring warm up to get back in the groove.

Yes, bring water and some snacks... I do EVERY time I ride regardless of where I ride. It's very traditional for me to stop at the Bragg store for fuel, a puffed wheat square and a half'n'half mix of water and something with electrolytes in it. You never know when you're gonna get stranded or be thirsty so pack the tank bag and camelback, :) That's a very important tip whether you're riding pavement or off road or anything really... It's like not bringing a spare tube or an air pump or a little bit of duct tape. Just-in-cases are useful all the time.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #4220
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

The route I'm gonna ride is the "Transalta Road" on this snip. It's literally a road... It's rough as a get out, but it's still something to ride in the spring that isn't paved and won't get ya in much trouble. Sometimes you run into interesting squatters on this road... and they usually have beer.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #4221
FluidMech
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey there,

I've been lurking on these forums for a little while though, and just recently purchased a KLR650 as well. I picked up an action cam yesterday, and looking to get some footage on there pretty quick! I know the trails at Waiporous and Mclean fairly well, as I've been Jeeping there often for many years, but this would be my first time on a bike. Are you mainly just doing more of a scenic thing?

Cheers
FluidMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #4222
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidMech View Post
Hey there,

I've been lurking on these forums for a little while though, and just recently purchased a KLR650 as well. I picked up an action cam yesterday, and looking to get some footage on there pretty quick! I know the trails at Waiporous and Mclean fairly well, as I've been Jeeping there often for many years, but this would be my first time on a bike. Are you mainly just doing more of a scenic thing?

Cheers
I'm thinking of sticking to primarily roads and the route can be modified, just that it's pretty early in the spring to be venturing deep into the woods on big DS bikes. I can't lie though, I will not be sticking to any speed limits... I don't expect everyone to ride flat out, but I like to twist it and have some fun if the road conditions allow. Not gonna be many people up that way on a Sunday afternoon this early I bet... I really wanna make it down that road to the water shed to see what it's gonna be like for flooding in Calgary this year. Probably won't be able to make it across the spillway to the trails part on the other side, but there's plenty of little off-shoots on that road to plug around on.

I would call this a 2-3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. Everyone would be welcome to come, but this isn't a race or anything. Relaxing Sunday ride, ;)

A vid of most of it on a lazy summer day:

Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #4223
FluidMech
n00b

Looks good to me! Seems like a fun day
Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #4224
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Just found out I should have a friend of a friend with me on his DRZ400 too. His first full year of riding and very first venture off the terrible hard black stuff. So, to reiterate, this is a leisurely Sunday ride. Fun first!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #4225
canehdian_guy
Adventurer

Hahaha I've only been out twice and both times we were nearly stranded over night, so I know the drill.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #4226
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I wish I could join you dudes, but I'm gearing up for Nordegg area.

Trailer is rigged and bikes to load on Friday for a few weeks of 1000's of kms of new and old logging/ oil roads.

Forcast is a bit of snow and rian, and that's a good thing as it will keep the dust down.

JB
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #4227
canehdian_guy
Adventurer

I just for back from xsocal's route: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4528

The conditions were really good, but thats probably to be expected for these roads.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:15 AM   #4228
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post

Trailer is rigged and bikes to load on Friday for a few weeks of 1000's of kms of new and old logging/ oil roads.

Forcast is a bit of snow and rian, and that's a good thing as it will keep the dust down.

JB
Nice camper. I'm in the market for something similar to pull behind the cube van.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #4229
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Lucky bastards..... going out on sunday!!!! Good luck, watch for ice in the shade, take lots of pics and make sure tyler gets dirty :). Also pics.... lots of pics. Sad I wont be there for the drz's maiden voyage :(
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #4230
FluidMech
n00b

Quote:
I just for back from xsocal's route: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4528

The conditions were really good, but thats probably to be expected for these roads.
I did this route on Thursday on my New KLR!! It's all of ten minutes from my house. That mud hill route was quite fun! Conditions were great.

I was out there until 7pm, good time