Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #4546
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
How long are your usual jaunts? Dark shield with need to be changed if you're planning anything close to epic...
I'm not intending it to be epic... but sometimes shit happens :)

I am aiming to be home by 10 at the latest.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #4547
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
I'll join you guys if possible. I'm waiting on word from the Mrs if she'll be home in time.

Likewise. Waiting for Mrs to get back from work.

Rode the 450 out at Ghost today. It was pretty good. I'm going to have to drop some cash on a first aid kit. Any recommendations on a place to find a lightweight Moto friendly version?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #4548
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatallybitten View Post
I have it on good authority that these roads are both now open, which is great news! I may head out tomorrow or Wednesday and go south on the FTR, east on 532, then south on 22, east on 533 and then south again on Range Road 13A down to Willow Creek Provincial Park. From there I will turn around and retrace my steps for home, but with a stop at Marv's in Black Diamond for a milkshake. Should be a great day! Cheers, David
The official site at http://alberta.ca/Transportation-Inf...ure-Damage.cfm says it is still closed.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #4549
Garnotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Did Dutch creek RD last week, be warned, the last washout at the east end can be faily deep, endend with boot filled with water. Wallmart sell some cheap air dryer to take care of that
Garnotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 AM   #4550
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Looks like I might be the first to post about this, but the evening ride today turned out to be somewhat epic after all. At least 7 riders showed up (sorry, I still don't know everyone's names and handles) and it started great, with a spirited run out of town into the NW gravel roads. For a bit of a challenge we headed up Range Road 34, which is often a real mud pit, but it had dried up nicely, and even though a couple of people had minor falls, everyone made it through the harder parts. But on the last stretch Peter (sorry, I don't know your online handle) got turned over by a rut and really hurt himself badly. At least a dislocated shoulder, perhaps broken, along with possible broken ribs according to the EMT. Anyway they sent everyone short of STARS to get him home, quite the adventure. I had the GoPro running, and here are some stills from it, to tell the tale. Peter seemed quite positive about recording the incident, but I will wait until I talk to him before posting any video.

The ride was a standard hooligan run (even without flossandfly there!):

Peter had just made it through the tough part:

But moments later, bike and rider were down:

Peter was hurt bad:

But after some time, he sucked it up and was on his feet:

With a dislocated shoulder and in a lot of pain, we called 911, and the EMT's insisted on taking him out on the board of despair. And yes, the worst part of it all is that a BMW rider gets taken away on a KTM stretcher!

Having been strapped to one of these after an accident on my R1 once, I can attest to how much it hurts when they tighten the straps. He's ready for transport:

So shit did happen, and here's to a fast recovery Peter!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #4551
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Likewise. Waiting for Mrs to get back from work.

Rode the 450 out at Ghost today. It was pretty good. I'm going to have to drop some cash on a first aid kit. Any recommendations on a place to find a lightweight Moto friendly version?
You're definitely best off to head down to MEC or a good camping outfitter and build your own first aid kit. You can tailor the components and things you need to your own needs instead of having a bunch of crap you'll never use, lol! A suture kit is good to carry, tweezers, bandaids, gauze, space blanket, epi-pen for allergic people, tape, chocolate, duct tape, scissors, antiseptic swabs, and anything else you think you might use. Depending on how far you ride out or where you ride you may want to always have fire starters and/or tinder with you. Something else to consider is heading to the local pharmacy and getting some generic pain pills and antibiotics, not over the counter stuff, but still available on request. Be careful crossing international borders with stuff like that though. Document it and make it known you have it when crossing and why or you could get in trouble.

If you adventure far off the beaten path a SPOT wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Cheers
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 AM   #4552
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
So shit did happen, and here's to a fast recovery Peter!
Glad everyone was ok and happy to see the camaraderie! That's why riding in a group is good,
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #4553
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Looks like I might be the first to post about this, but the evening ride today turned out to be somewhat epic after all.
Yes - that was quite the unplanned adventure last night. It was very painful just to watch them tighten the stretcher straps on him.

I'm going to head back there tonight (instead of Friday as discussed) with my trailer to retrieve his bike.

Recent post about needing first-aid kit is rather timely... none of us had one. I always carry one for longer trips, but this shows that shit can (usually?) happens close to home on the "easy" rides.

Something else that we should think about - when a group of relative strangers gathers for a ride, we should swap emergency contact info at start of the ride. Felt kind of weird telling the RCMP that we didn't know each other and had no clue other than 1st names and advrider handles.

Andy
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #4554
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 773
Damn!

Sorry to hear that. I just met Peter last week at Blackfoot while picking up an oil filter. He was outside hanging around the bikes, and recognized mine from ADV. He wanted to introduce himself. Nice guy! Heal up fast Peter!
If you need a hand Andy, let me know.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #4555
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 318
Peter Kufeldt

Sorry to hear about Peter's mishap. I met Peter in June at the Blackfoot Off Road course. He was excited about his new 1200 GS and looking forward to the rest of the riding season. Speedy recovery. David
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #4556
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Andy,

I'd like to get Peters contact info as well as I have his jacket/helmet. Or perhaps we can meet later tonight so his gear can accompany his bike?
I believe you have my number; I'll pm it to you to be certain.

Thanks for making the trip to get his GS.

Peter:

Hope the Doctors patched you up nicely and that you'll be back in the saddle shortly.
If your memory is fuzzy, your bike is in pretty good shape. Don't worry about her.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #4557
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Heal fast Peter. I've got the contact info for the police that showed up should you need it for insurance. Your bike looked fine except for one hand guard.

It was a great ride. I had never been out that way before and was pleasantly surprised by how twisty some of the roads were.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #4558
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
First aid for motorbikes

Are there any EMT types out there that could recommend the most practical and important components one should have in a SMALL kit?

I did find this out in the webs (and am still poking about for more.

http://www.firstaidanywhere.com/moto...t-aid-kit.html
Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #4559
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Calgarians that dualsport

There was a first aid kit thread going in the equipment forum awhile ago. An EMT added a bunch of awesome info. Specifically for typical motorcycle injuries. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit:
450 is on back of truck. Headed out to Ghost again. Anyone interested in an off road trip?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #4560
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I should be around Foothills this afternoon, I'll see if I can get an update on Peter's status.