Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #4561
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,223
Guys - I just got a call from Peter's brother.

He broke his shoulder blade (ouch), has multiple rib fractures, and a possible ankle fracture. He will be in Foothills for another couple of days. His brother asked that we hold off visiting today (he's pretty drugged up), I may try to get out there tomorrow to pay him a visit (unit 44).

Victor and I will pickup the bike tonight, and I'm going to haul it to Anderwerks tomorrow per Peter's request.

Andy
Lav1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #4562
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Glad everyone was ok and happy to see the camaraderie! That's why riding in a group is good,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Andy,

I'd like to get Peters contact info as well as I have his jacket/helmet. Or perhaps we can meet later tonight so his gear can accompany his bike?
I believe you have my number; I'll pm it to you to be certain.

Thanks for making the trip to get his GS.

Peter:

Hope the Doctors patched you up nicely and that you'll be back in the saddle shortly.
If your memory is fuzzy, your bike is in pretty good shape. Don't worry about her.
Thanks so much everyone! Few broken ribs, scapula, a few cracked vertebra, small ankle fracture. I should be up for some beer I owe you guys in a couple of weeks! Andy has my brothers phone # for the gear.

Lesson learned. KTM riders have a different concept of "big bike friendly"! :wink

What a great community we have

ThePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #4563
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

BTW. Posting of my mishap is part of the legend!

Post away!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #4564
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Peter - glad to see you posting.... you gave us a good scare last night.

We got to get some knobby tires on that GS... I think it was a big issue not having the same level of grip as the rest of us.

Take care of yourself and heal up well. Your GS looks like it got off much easier than you.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #4565
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 372
Thumb Last nights ride

Sorry to hear of the mishap I was hoping to go on this ride but figured it was more of a big bike ride ie... slab and i would be hard pressed to keep up on my little Dr650 We had a similar mishap a few years back with my brother out west where he was idling along taking in the scenery hit a rut and was end over in the ditch with a broken arm. Had to double him out to the pavement where his wife picked him up in a vehicle and off to the hospital while i headed back to Calgary for my truck to retrieve his bike, a lot can happen in a slow speed fall as we get older and our bones get more brittle. Good reason to always ride with a buddy, although I know the urge to ride makes this hard sometimes when time is a factor. Hope Peter has a speedy recovery.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #4566
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Good to hear you're back online Peter. Cracked vertebrae, ouch...good thing they put you on the board, and we didn't try and move you out ourselves.

Will do on the posting - it will take a few days but I'll edit up a video. Btw any of the riders that were out there, if you don't want to be identifiable in the clip, just PM me. Most people don't care but some do (outstanding warrants in 5 other provinces , etc.). It will have to be PG13 for language! I'll send you a private link first Peter when it is done.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #4567
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
Heal fast Peter. I've got the contact info for the police that showed up should you need it for insurance. Your bike looked fine except for one hand guard.

It was a great ride. I had never been out that way before and was pleasantly surprised by how twisty some of the roads were.
It was spectacular! I came away much more confident on loose gravel.
Lesson# 2: Assess your equipment and abilities prior to forging ahead. Running Anakee 3's and no experience in the greasy stuff led to this. Having dropped it in the muddy bits set me up to be tense and target fixated.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #4568
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
You're definitely best off to head down to MEC or a good camping outfitter and build your own first aid kit. You can tailor the components and things you need to your own needs instead of having a bunch of crap you'll never use, lol! A suture kit is good to carry, tweezers, bandaids, gauze, space blanket, epi-pen for allergic people, tape, chocolate, duct tape, scissors, antiseptic swabs, and anything else you think you might use. Depending on how far you ride out or where you ride you may want to always have fire starters and/or tinder with you. Something else to consider is heading to the local pharmacy and getting some generic pain pills and antibiotics, not over the counter stuff, but still available on request. Be careful crossing international borders with stuff like that though. Document it and make it known you have it when crossing and why or you could get in trouble.

If you adventure far off the beaten path a SPOT wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Cheers
Of course I left both at home.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #4569
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
It will have to be PG13 for language!
Yes - at about the time they were tightening the stretcher straps down on his broken shoulder there may have been one or two F-bombs.

Peter - that looked excruciatingly painful... I'll never complain again about my sore shoulder after seeing what you went through.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #4570
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePedro View Post
It was spectacular! I came away much more confident on loose gravel.
Lesson# 2: Assess your equipment and abilities prior to forging ahead. Running Anakee 3's and no experience in the greasy stuff led to this. Having dropped it in the muddy bits set me up to be tense and target fixated.
Peter - you looked like you were having a great time right up until the crash. I thought you were riding really well and you handled the mud holes in spectacular fashion given the tires you had to deal with.

Victor and I will give your bike a real good look-over when we pick it up tonight. But from what we saw last night, it suffered very little damage... one tough machine.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #4571
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
That way you can impress the nurses, "hey check out this crash...." Yep, that's me, I do my own stunts.
Oohs and Aahs follow. Sadly, hurts too much to take advantage!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #4572
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Peter - you looked like you were having a great time right up until the crash. I thought you were riding really well and you handled the mud holes in spectacular fashion given the tires you had to deal with.

Victor and I will give your bike a real good look-over when we pick it up tonight. But from what we saw last night, it suffered very little damage... one tough machine.
I can't thank you guys enough! I think I only broke a hand guard. Those big pigs are tough!

ADV Riders, where you hand the keys to a $25 k beast to someone you just met, barely remember their name and know it will be OK.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #4573
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePedro View Post
ADV Riders, where you hand the keys to a $25 k beast to someone you just met, barely remember their name and know it will be OK.

Ummm... Got your house keys, too.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #4574
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Ummm... Got your house keys, too.
Shit, forgot about that! House cleaned out, bike OK.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #4575
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
We had a great party there last night. You're out of beer. And Victor may have debauched one of your house plants.

One question; there's a human head in your freezer. Anything we should know about?