Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #4651
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie348 View Post
Sorry to break it to you but no - the fire lookout is further west and north. If you continue west beyond those buildings the road drops down and then climbs up to the peak of Limestone (should be on your GPS topo map) - if you look hard you can see the firestation at the top but only if you are back east far enough to see it on the peak (northmost).
You pretty much have to hike a little ways down from where you were anyways as they discourage motorized vehicles with a gate past there - although you could dodge those and ride at least to the next hill top :)
That's ok, you're not breaking anything to me. I know I wasn't at the lookout - I could see it easily off beyond the col up the final rise (although I thought it was north and slightly east, and maybe on a second summit beyond the first summit from the col). The lookout looked like it was about 150m vertical metres or so above the col. I was just wondering whether I was at the end of motorized travel, given the concrete barrier just down from the towers, or whether the trail that I could see leading to the fire lookout had more opportunity for motorized travel.
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #4652
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a picture of the lookout (barely visible in the back in this photo) with the trail leading up to it, from the transmission towers. Yellow gate is in foreground.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #4653
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Bee-u-tee-ful!

I look forward to seeing this view Wednesday with MCVICKARS (How does one pronounce Roman Numerals anyway?) and XSOCAL!

Cheers,

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtowner View Post
Here's a picture of the lookout (barely visible in the back in this photo) with the trail leading up to it, from the transmission towers. Yellow gate is in foreground.

Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #4654
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
I look forward to seeing this view Wednesday with MCVICKARS (How does one pronounce Roman Numerals anyway?) and XSOCAL!

Cheers,

Dean
Looking forward to it as well. I've never been up there despite having spent a lot of time out in the Mountain Aire and Yaha Tinda areas camping, hunting and fishing when I was much younger. It's been on my list of to-do rides for a while.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #4655
wylie348
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Limestone

I envy you guys! So the walk is still quit long from the transmission towers to the top of the green patch in the photos - if you can squeeze the bikes past the first barrier I would suggest it - then you can pretty much ride to the top of the green patch and then will have to walk from there to the fire lookout as it is quite a steep ledge of loose rock on the path up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post

Cheers,

Dean
wylie348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #4656
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Just in case anyone else finds the time to join in tomorrow, we're meeting at 9:30 at the Esso on Country Hills Blvd and Nose Hill Dr.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #4657
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Just in case anyone else finds the time to join in tomorrow, we're meeting at 9:30 at the Esso on Country Hills Blvd and Nose Hill Dr.

I'm leaving for McMurray in the morn.
Have a great ride.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #4658
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
Any one in the Calgary area need some furniture to sit on?
We've got some leather couches in decent shape that I'd trade for dirt bike/trike stuff.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #4659
DualSport855
what he said

Oddometer: 90
The Pedro, Because of your now famous soil compaction job, I find myself riding a gear lower than usual. My wife and kids thank you! Not sure if this would have helped but I started using this years ago;http://https://www.medicalinfoproduc...allet-card.php
It's an easy way to make a wallet medical id tag. Your "incident" reminded me to update my old one. Thank you.

Cheers

Riding in Alberta, BC, NWT and Yukon is most amazing.
DualSport855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #4660
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport855 View Post
The Pedro, Because of your now famous soil compaction job, I find myself riding a gear lower than usual. My wife and kids thank you! Not sure if this would have helped but I started using this years ago;http://https://www.medicalinfoproduc...allet-card.php
It's an easy way to make a wallet medical id tag. Your "incident" reminded me to update my old one. Thank you.

Cheers
Well if one person learns from my experience, while it doesn't make it worthwhile, it takes the sting out of my misfortune.

While the wallet card would not have helped too much in this situation, I can see a lot of value in carrying one. Had I been knocked out, my emergency contact info would have been readily available.

The link you provided was a bit goofy so here it is fixed: https://www.medicalinfoproducts.com/...allet-card.php

Ride Safe and Thanks!

ThePedro screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 06:47 PM Reason: Spelling
ThePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #4661
DualSport855
what he said

Oddometer: 90
Calgarians that dualsport

Thank you sir

Riding in Alberta, BC, NWT and Yukon is most amazing.

DualSport855 screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 06:38 PM Reason: spelling
DualSport855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #4662
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie348 View Post
I envy you guys! So the walk is still quit long from the transmission towers to the top of the green patch in the photos - if you can squeeze the bikes past the first barrier I would suggest it - then you can pretty much ride to the top of the green patch and then will have to walk from there to the fire lookout as it is quite a steep ledge of loose rock on the path up.
+1 on the envy - beautiful day today!

Might also be worth checking out going left at the last fork once you're up on the ridge and see what is there. I think it hooks up with the trail to the lookout, but away on lookers left from the towers to the fire lookout (so probably another gate there too).

Here's a pic of the little ramp/road up to the towers, looking away from towers.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #4663
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

It was a successful trip to the top of Limestone, (or at least to the towers, same as Cowtowner). Was getting a bit showery at the top and a few rumbles of thunder around. Didn't rain too much, just held the dust down in a few patches mostly. A bit wetter and cooler coming out on 579 for a bit. Overall, excellent riding.

Thanks to Mike (XSoCal) and Dean (Hockeygod) for the company.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #4664
ThePedro
Soil Compaction Guy

Oddometer: 56
Nice!!
More motivation.

ThePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #4665
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Laugh Limestone mid-week getaway!

Awesome trip today boys! Great variety of weather (+ incredibly warm), scenery and road surfaces!

Enjoyed meeting Ed (MCMXCIVRS - I pronounce it McVickers), his tricked out F800GS and Mike (XSoCal) and his mighty beastly 950

Had higher gearing (new sprockets and chain) and a fresh meat slapped onto the back of my 640 for today's ride. What a difference! With the lowered gearing, while I could climb up some serious off-road hills in first gear, I was turning 5500rpm for 100kph on the road. Now it's at about 4200rpm... And Katy really likes to stretch her legs on the Tarmac now! It feels like a new bike!

If I knew how to post photos I would...

Hope we can get out again sometime. Cheers!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote