User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #4786
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,882
Cool!

I'd be all over that with someone else's bike. Do they get to keep the supplied riding gear and helmet?
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #4787
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
What is this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post

Ok I must have missed something. Explain these pics. Where were they taken and what is up? Obviously a BMW event... Is there a website to check for future rides? Looks awesome...
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #4788
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Any suggested day rides - what say you?

I want to maximize the remaining days till the weather totally sucks. I work till about 10 am most mornings, then have occasional days where I can get on the bike for day trips. Some days till dusk, most till 3-6 pm. Any suggestions about routes? I live in NW (Tuscany) so will be starting/ending there.

One day I would love to head towards Radium, then take Settlers Road, not sure how close it ends near Fernie, and back up 940, but sounds like portions of 940 may be closed and I'm not a poacher... How would one link this up back to Calgary and how long would this take? Could it be done in a long day?

I want to learn some more routes / loops... Please share your suggestions. Thanks!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #4789
990John
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
940 will only be closed for a month(not a year) south of( The Gap) Maycroft Rd. The Earl of Leisure and I were out there yesterday. 532 is wide open too. Couple of other buddies did the 940 past the Closed sign last week and said there was no reason for it being posted. They rode all the way to Coleman.
That is way better news than the foreman of the crew gave me. They had definitely started clearing and grubbing when we went through.

I need to start carrying a jerry can. The 990 is thirsty enough that it was a bad minute while I calculated whether I would make it back to Longview if the road was truly shut.

532 has enough ungraveled portions that anyone (me, for instance) running K60s have an . . . interesting . . . time at speed.

Also, forgot to post this earlier. We had a bad moment on Skyline when we came around a corner and met a 627 face to face. Company called NLSS doesn't seem to believe in pilot trucks
990John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #4790
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
Ok I must have missed something. Explain these pics. Where were they taken and what is up? Obviously a BMW event... Is there a website to check for future rides? Looks awesome...
BMW GS Trophy. It was held in our backyard this time. Its a biannual event with teams from several countries competing. Competitors are selected at GS Challenge events held in the various countries; Canada has three events, one in Quebec, one in Ontario and the third here in Alberta every year. The top finisher in the qualifying year at each event gets to be on the team.

Yes, they do get to keep all the personal gear which from the looks of it is quite a haul. They don't get to keep the bike, but apparently can opt to purchase it after the event for a discounted price.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #4791
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
BMW GS Trophy. It was held in our backyard this time. Its a biannual event with teams from several countries competing. Competitors are selected at GS Challenge events held in the various countries; Canada has three events, one in Quebec, one in Ontario and the third here in Alberta every year. The top finisher in the qualifying year at each event gets to be on the team.

Yes, they do get to keep all the personal gear which from the looks of it is quite a haul. They don't get to keep the bike, but apparently can opt to purchase it after the event for a discounted price.
2 of us from Calgary on the team and one from Montreal. BMW gave us a Ralle 3 suit with GS Trophy badging, Marmot tent, sleeping bag, couple Marmot jackets, Leatt neck brace, hydration pack etc. We used our own helmets, boots and gloves. The bikes are available to competitors at a steep discount but the bikes are all euro spec and can't be registered in Canada for 15yrs unfortunately. In past years, non-european riders have bought them and stored them in Europe to do fly and ride holidays. It's a lot of money to have tied up in a bike that you'll ride a couple weeks a year at most though.

Solid event, BMW treated all the competitors extremely well. 21 countries represented on 16 teams, over 100 new R1200GS and GSA bikes. Very cool event to be a part of.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 09-28-2014 at 01:55 PM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #4792
DualSport855
what he said

Oddometer: 102
Cory it was great to see you guys compete in Nelson and Balfour. Too bad it wasn't an exotic country!

2007 JK Wrangler and KTM 990

Riding in Alberta, BC, NWT and Yukon is most amazing.
DualSport855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #4793
fukenrude