Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #31
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
It's rather amusing to read people's opinions of bikes that they have no first hand experience with. Go ride them both in a variety of conditions, then get back to me. Until then, you're just speculating.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #32
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
It's rather amusing to read people's opinions of bikes that they have no first hand experience with. Go ride them both in a variety of conditions, then get back to me. Until then, you're just speculating.
Your right - even though I defended the DRZ in this thread I am interested in the little Yamaha.

But power is power and the DRZ has more - offset somewhat by the wide range six speed tranny.

Of course I have the best of both with my TE610 - wide range six speed and well over double the HP of the Yamaha.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #33
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Nothing to play out - the data speaks for itself. I have no issue with people liking the WRR, but saying they have the same power or same speed as the DRZ is simply not true as the data above clearly shows.
Mark
Yep. It's always desirable as well to actually read the post and see what the originator is looking to do before pushing your favourite bike as a solution.
As soon as you see 50% + for road work...it's all about 400s or larger.

Even off road, an engine that doesn't make enough power to pull the skin off a pudding until it's redlined, isn't a lot of fun in slick conditions where it is often good to short shift and find traction with the help of a torquier motor!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #34
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

You know, that's funny. As soon as I saw the required road work, I thought there was no way in hell I'd like to ride a DRZ on much pavement. It's buzzy, has a horrible seat, and putting a lot of miles on it will mean a lot of valve checks. The WRR is smoother, more comfortable, and doesn't require 1/4th of the maintenance the DRZ does.

If you're only going to ride it at the drag strip, the DRZ would win out between those two, but if that's the case, I might suggest something a little bigger like a Busa or a ZX14. If you're going to be riding in the real world, with you know . . . turns and stuff, you might want to look at something a little more practical and comfortable that handles, stops, and turns better. But that's just me.

I know some of you just can't handle it that one line item on the spec sheet is a little smaller on the 250, when the rest of the stats are glaring you in the face that it is a better bike for the real world.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #35
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
You know, that's funny. As soon as I saw the required road work, I thought there was no way in hell I'd like to ride a DRZ on that much pavement. It's buzzy, has a horrible seat, and putting a lot of miles on it will mean a lot of valve checks. The WRR is smoother, more comfortable, and doesn't require 1/4th of the maintenance the DRZ does.

If you're only going to ride it at the drag strip, the DRZ would win out between those two, but if that's the case, I might suggest something a little bigger like a Busa or a ZX14. If you're going to be riding in the real world, with you know . . . turns and stuff, you might want to look at something a little more practical and comfortable that handles, stops, and turns better. But that's just me.

I know some of you just can't handle it that one line item on the spec sheet is a little smaller on the 250, when the rest of the stats are glaring you in the face that it is a better bike for the real world.
One quarter of valve checks is NOT one quarter of maintenance.
You still need to clean and adjust the chain.
Clean air filter.
Changes ties.
Change oil.
Etc.
You put too much emphasis on checking valves - it's no big deal
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #36
Cypress
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Wow this thread is getting nasty.

The truth is there are pros and cons to both bikes, but I would give the WRR the nod overall.

Things better about the WRR that can't be argued.

- Better suspension
- Better tranny, 6 Speed
- Lighter
- Fuel Injection
- Better stator

Things about the DRZ that can't be argued.

- More power, stock v. stock

Ask yourself if you want a bike with a little bit more power using 8 year + technology or something that does better in most other categories outside power and contains modern technology.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
One quarter of valve checks is NOT one quarter of maintenance.
Actually the DRZ recommended valve checks are at approximately 14.5K vs. the 26.6K for the WR-R. But let's not let pesky facts and real data get in the way of someone's fantasy world.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #38
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

I've ridden the bikes in question, so who is in the fantasy world again?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #39
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

You know what? Now that I think about it, you might be right. I mean if I completely ignore the fact that the WRR has:

Fuel Injection - no altitude, hot/cold start, flooding issues
Better suspension
Better handling
Better brakes
Way more comfortable seat
Better ergos
Smoother engine
Longer maintenance intervals
350watt alternator
Lighter weight

. . . then yes, you're right. I mean since the DRZ is about a second quicker in the 1/4 mile (on paper), it is clearly the better bike. I don't know what I was thinking. Then again . . . the Busa fits this description too . . . except it's a little quicker than even the DRZ in the 1/4 mile. That's it . . . I'm going to sell my WRR and buy a Busa.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #40
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
Yep. The difference between the 250's and 400 is between having a motor that is merely busy on the roads vs one that is screaming!
DRZ at 75 mph = 7000 rpm
WRR at 75 mph = 7500 rpm

I don't think that's the difference between merely busy and screaming.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #41
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretrash
Opinions? People who've made the same decisions before?
You might want to PM ADVriding legend Mark Sampson, alias BigDogAdventures.com. He went from DRZ to TE610 to WRR. He says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I can give you my comparison between the DRZ and our WR's as I spent a lot of time on the DRZ--S.

At this time in my life and what I'm going to do with my WR---the only thing the WR lacks is the low grunt of the DRZ.

I think the DRZ is one of the best bikes ever made---that is a wonderful motor--the only thing that glares out at me is the 5 speed tranny----and it glared out at me horribly--and was the sole reason I sold it. That bikes sales would absolutely go thru the roof if they would put a 6 speed in it. It's a bike like our WR250R's that was made for the long haul.

The point being that he would still be riding a DRZ except he finds the WRR more comfortable on the highway.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #42
i82much
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I went through this decision process myself. I came out with a DRZ, simply because I wanted the extra acceleration. It is worth considering that the power to weight ratio on a bike is drastically affected by the weight of the rider, and the OP is 200 lbs. Add some rider gear, some luggage/camping gear, etc., and there comes a point where the 400 motor will be well worth putting up with all of the deficiencies of the DRZ like no FI, extra weight, relatively close ratio 5 speed, etc.

But hey, that's why you should ride them both first, if at all possible. I had images of my 200 lb. self weighed down by riding gear, camping gear, and fishing gear, pulling out onto a steep hill in front of a logging truck going 70 mph and that was what kept me from getting a 250. Other than the power issue, it is pretty clear that the WRR is the better bike in a lot of different ways.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Get a used DRZ for 3 grand. Ride it for 2 years and then see what the Japanese manufacturers are offering in the 300-500 cc dual sport range. Good chance you'll be able to get exactly what you want instead of having to compromise. Or, just spend the extra $ now and get a TE-610.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #43
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
I've ridden both. I prefer my DRZE for all around backroads and light to moderate offroad (which happens to be how I ride), but... if I needed it for harder offroading OR longer highway stretches at over 60 mph - I'd go WRR. The WRR suspension is way better right outa the box, the tranny is sweet and the seat much better. I caught myself criusing the slab at 84 mph. It was smooth (oddly smoother than my 4 cyl inline rides). Only issue is the low torque and lots of WRR riders have gone with shorter gearing to minimize that issue. Torque up high seems quite even.

I believe a factory legal DRZE with a 6-speed would kill it. Are you listening Suzuki?
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #44
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretrash
My intention is NOT to ride on the highway, nor is it to do a lot of road riding. I'll be trailering this bike and driving it to wherever I'm riding.

The riding I'm looking for is as much trail and dirt and I can get to.

I'd look for a leftover 2008 Husky TE250. For a trailer queen street legal dirt bike it's the only choice and it smokes the rest on weight.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #45
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much
I went through this decision process myself. I came out with a DRZ, simply because I wanted the extra acceleration. It is worth considering that the power to weight ratio on a bike is drastically affected by the weight of the rider, and the OP is 200 lbs. Add some rider gear, some luggage/camping gear, etc., and there comes a point where the 400 motor will be well worth putting up with all of the deficiencies of the DRZ like no FI, extra weight, relatively close ratio 5 speed, etc.

But hey, that's why you should ride them both first, if at all possible. I had images of my 200 lb. self weighed down by riding gear, camping gear, and fishing gear, pulling out onto a steep hill in front of a logging truck going 70 mph and that was what kept me from getting a 250. Other than the power issue, it is pretty clear that the WRR is the better bike in a lot of different ways.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Get a used DRZ for 3 grand. Ride it for 2 years and then see what the Japanese manufacturers are offering in the 300-500 cc dual sport range. Good chance you'll be able to get exactly what you want instead of having to compromise. Or, just spend the extra $ now and get a TE-610.
During the winter d/s trip I mentioned earlier, I was still riding my KLR and a good friend of mine was riding his WRR. We were three days in the woods carrying all of our gear. I had already put quite a few hours on his bike up to this point, but none of them loaded up with gear. I'm 200lbs and the bike was loaded with everything we'd need for 3 days of below freezing camping. After we swapped bikes for a while on that trip, it was all over. I had been on the fence up until that point, but the ease with which it tackled anything I came upon . . . even fully loaded, sealed my KLR's fate. I imediately sold the KLR and bought a WRR. It had absolutely zero problems carrying my 200lbs + full camping gear up anything we came across.