Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #91
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by velosprocket
I thought we were talking about the new WR250R, not the off road version WR250?
Sorry, it's an 04 WRR.

Not apples to apples, but I've not ridden a new one.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #92
velosprocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH
Sorry, it's an 04 WRR.

Not apples to apples, but I've not ridden a new one.

Trade you a super clean 03 DRZ400s for it. Very nice by the way!
velosprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #93
cRAsH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velosprocket
Trade you a super clean 03 DRZ400s for it. Very nice by the way!
It's Annies, and you'll have to pry it from her cold dead hands.
She loves that bike, now that it's all sorted.
She's already got a super clean 04 "S" she's going to sell in the spring, and an "E" that is getting a workover which will be her packmule adventure bike.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #94
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
There is no such thing as an '04 WRR. An '04 WRF yes, but no WRR. The WRR's were introduced in '08 and share nothing with the "F" model except the color blue.
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #95
cRAsH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
There is no such thing as an '04 WRR. An '04 WRF yes, but no WRR. The WRR's were introduced in '08 and share nothing with the "F" model except the color blue.
The bad, she is mine.

It's still a great little bike, and I suspect one day I'll end up with one too - once I get really tired of smelling like a 2T at the end of the day.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #96
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Yes but the 50 + hp on my Husky is Huger,

Its not like I have never ridden little underpowered thumpers - my favorite was the XR200 - would only do 55 MPH but was a tractor off road. I also have a Super Sherpa.

It is the deep sand, long steep uphills and especially the paved roads with headwinds and steep inclines where you can't have too much power (if you know how to use it).
Yup, that power is hard to learn how to use. Lemme see, roll throttle. Check!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #97
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Yup, that power is hard to learn how to use. Lemme see, roll throttle. Check!
Hang on there Albie, there is a whole process for this.

Step 1. Dial in desired wheelie height
Step 2. Hang on and enjoy the ride
Step 3. Repeat

This gets complicated for some.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #98
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretrash
Any more reflection on the KLX?

- "tbirdsp", you mentioned you went from a KTM to a KLX, that seems like an unlikely move, can you tell me more about how you feel about the KLX? Is it underpowered at times?

It sounds like a very manageable bike to me...but maybe that's the "fear of a big bike" syndrome I have.

Also: Thanks for th einfo on the WR height, if I can take it down an inch or even 2 I'll be perfect for that bike.

The price thought: Ouch! Maybe I can find someone who's NEEDS to sell theirs?
Actually it was '06 Husky TE250 to a '07 KLX
Yes, seems like an unlikely move. Some explanation:
In Dec '01, I went from a '87 XL600R (kick start only-bleah) to a new '02 DR-Z400S. I loved the DRZ, but found I was riding almost exclusively off road. Was thinking about something lighter. The in Dec '04 I had a freak crash on the DRZ and totally destroyed my right shoulder (as in half the joint is now stainless steel). On a good day I have about 50% of my right arm. I also have 2 bad disks in my lower back. I thought a lighter bike would be better for me to handle. Kind of on a whim I started looking at the TE250 when I heard they were street legal in '06. The TE is probably 40 lbs lighter than a DRZ-S, which is huge. Normally the TE would be out of my price range but-the stars aligned: I came into some money unexpectedly, sold my DRZ quickly, and got the TE for $1000 off of MSRP. A lot of good points for the TE, but here's the bad (for me) - seat was way too tall (38"?) for me (5'9", inseam 31"). I don't mind tall bikes but I was always dropping it if I got stopped on an off camber area or something.
6-speed tranny but ratios WAY too tight IMHO. Stock sprockets are 13/50. I would have liked 1st a little lower for lofting the front over logs and such but 6th was already so low it was turning 8000 rpm at 54 mph. Because I was a little leary of the maintenance on the Ti valves I tried to keep it to under 50 mph. Rev limit is 12,500 though.
The suspension seemed a little harsh to me, even though I'm over 200 lbs.
I just wanted something more mellow and easier for a cripple to handle. Started looking at the WRR, but when I sat on one I had DRZ flashbacks. Now since then I've read enough reports that I believe it's a better bike than the DRZ. I also balked at the price - for that money I wish they would have made it even lighter than it is.
I ended up with the '07 KLX250S. Honestly I think I might have been disappointed with the stock power though. The bike I got already had the Bill Blue Mikuni pumper carb and a FMF Q4 pipe, which makes a big difference.
I think just a rejet of the stock CV carb and a pipe would have made it tolerable though.
The suspension is decent enough and I can touch the ground better when needed. I *really* like the wide ratio 6 speed tranny. Even geared down a tooth on the front 6th is plenty tall.
I led a group of guys at the Ozark Fall Color Tour dual sport ride in Oct '08. Other bikes were a DR350SE, DRZ400S, DR650, and two Husky TE610's. I wasn't holding anybody up
The TE310 really makes me drool, but honestly I think I would go with the WRR. However - the KLX would probably do just fine for you, especially if you used the money saved to do a few key mods.
Probably not much help with your decision, but maybe explained my own weird position
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #99
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Pictures are more betterer.

First the aforementioned choices:

Kawasaki KLX250S

Suzuki DRZ400S

Yamaha WR250R

More bikes that I think are in the same category:

Kawasaki Super Sherpa.

Yamaha XT250

Suzuki DRZ250

Honda CRF230L

Husqvarna TE250

Sean

Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #100
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,674
I wouldn't put any of the air cooled 250's in the same category as the KLX, DRZ-S, and WRR. They are down a notch in engine power and suspension quality. And the DRZ250 isn't street legal in the USA.

Just a note - the KLX pictured is the '06-'07, the '09 (there are no '08 models) is slightly different.

I'd almost put the TE in a class above the DRZ, KLX, and WRR too
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #101
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I wouldn't put any of the air cooled 250's in the same category as the KLX, DRZ-S, and WRR. They are down a notch in engine power and suspension quality. And the DRZ250 isn't street legal in the USA.

Just a note - the KLX pictured is the '06-'07, the '09 (there are no '08 models) is slightly different.

I'd almost put the TE in a class above the DRZ, KLX, and WRR too
Meh, I consider them all foufou bikes anyways.

In the context of suggesting a bike for a beginner, I think they all belong in the same category, the TE not so much but it's still not a very powerful bike.

I wasn't aware that the DRZ250 wasn't street legal in the states. But then again, my 525 EXC and my wife's 250 EXC weren't sold street legal either but they are now.

As for the mismatch of years, I was only choosing similar sized images to keep things consistent.

Sean

Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #102
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,807
that photo of the TE250 posted above is a 2007

here is the 2009 TE250 and the rest of the rest of the Husky enduro line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkA78...eature=related

and their capabilities in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAcP0...eature=related
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #103
futuretrash OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Smaller bikes

Hi, you nailed it except those smaller air cooled bikes are off my list. For me with a ton of dirt experience on MTN bikes in the rockies and east coast, and a 400CC street bike in college, I can't imagine the XT, CRF or DR250 not getting really boring really fast for me at 5'10 200lbs. Or worse, not being able to get me out of a hairy situation (wreckless ATV rider/car that doesn't see me/angry dog/horny moose/bat wielding winged monkey).

They also just feel really small to me getting on them, my wife though fell in love with the dr250 at the bike show, and looked darned hot on it IMHO. But that's another story.

My buddy that's got me hooked on a dirt bike is a DRZ owner of 5 years and is a diehard DRZ fan, does a lot of riding out in death valley and lives in the Bay Area, heavy lurker on TT.

His picks for me were DRZ, WRR and if I could afford it one of the new Huskies. But I mention even the 6k price tag of the WRR and I get nasty looks from my dark haired fear factory.

And we don't want her upset with daddy.

futuretrash screwed with this post 02-12-2009 at 05:12 AM
futuretrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #104
customerservice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
KLX Query

Good day,

Guy's new owner ok a KLX250 here from Manila (Grey Market from Japan) and regular forumer of Honda NX250 thread....

Off the Topic I would like to ask your expert opinions what particular year bike do i have since my KLX have both kick and push starter, is it a 2001 model and what Hp/torque does this bike have in stock form...no dyno something here in my place he he he.... low tech...

I use this bike as a daily street commuter and trail here once in a while and but not an expert and needs opinion how to beef my bike up a little

Thanks in advance.....

by the way I have driven both WRR250's and DRZ400S / DRZ400SM both street and not so heavy trail and my comment is......... both of the bike are great

DRZ's=power and WR=lighter
for my 50 cent opinion it depends on what road are you... then I could decide which is better on a given time...
customerservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #105
Suade907
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I'd say try and get a DRZ400e for the woods if possible. Otherwise get a wr250r and uncork it. It would probably provide more fun all round than the others. The Kawi is a great bang for the buck but kind of wimpy all round. The DRZ's torque will come in handy on the street and do well in the woods. But a 400e version will tear it up much better. THe bike has night and day better power over the street version. Mostly due to cams and carb.
Suade907 is offline   Reply With Quote