Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #31
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,270
The Vespa also scored a great success at the 1951 “International 6 Days” in Varese, winning 9 gold medals, the best of the Italian motorcycles. That same year saw the first of innumerable rallies with the Vespa: an expedition to the Congo, which was to be the first of a series of incredible journeys on a scooter that was intended primarily to solve the problems of urban and intercity traffic.

Giancarlo Tironi, an Italian University student, reached the Arctic Circle on a Vespa. The Argentine Carlos Velez crossed the Andes from Buenos Aires to Santiago del Chile.

Year after year, the Vespa gained popularity among adventure holiday enthusiasts: Roberto Patrignani rode one from Milan to Tokyo; Soren Nielsen in Greenland; James P. Owen from the USA to Tierra del Fuego; Santiago Guillen and Antonio Veciana from Madrid to Athens; Wally Bergen on a grand tour of the Antilles; the Italians Valenti and Rivadulla in a tour of Spain; Miss Warral from London to Australia and back; the Australian Geoff Dean took one on a round-the-world tour.

Pierre Delliere, Sergeant in the French Air Force, reached Saigon in 51 days from Paris, going through Afghanistan. The Swiss Giuseppe Morandi travelled 6,000 km, much of it in the desert, on a Vespa he had bought in 1948. Ennio Carrega went from Genoa to Lapland and back in 12 days.

Two Danish journalists Elizabeth and Erik Thrane, a brother and sister, reached Bombay on a Vespa. And it is impossible to count the many European scooter riders who have reached the North Cape on their Vespas.

Few know that in 1980 two Vespa PX 200s ridden by M. Simonot and B. Tcherniawsky reached the finishing line of the second Paris-Dakar rally.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #32
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,406
It's entirely possible that most of the above (Adventurers) were in fact pizza delivery riders doing a runner on the shops bikes with their satchels stuffed with dripping mozzarella coated little numbers
Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #33
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

Yes, entirely possible but not highly probable.

Come on all you closet Vespa lurkers.....post your scooter pics and join the revolution!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #34
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

The Vespa continues to travel: in 1992 Giorgio Bettinelli, writer and journalist, left Rome on a Vespa and reached Saigon in March 1993. In 1994-95 he rode a Vespa 36,000 km from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. In 1995-96 he travelled from Melbourne to Cape Town - over 52,000 km in 12 months. In 1997 he started out from Chile, reaching Tasmania after three years and 150,000 km on his Vespa across the Americas, Siberia, Europe, Africa, Asia and Oceania. All in all, Bettinelli has travelled 254,000 km on a Vespa.

Coincidentally and sadly, I read the other day that Giorgio had passed away recently in China where he lived with his wife after a short illness. He was a true Vespa borne adventurer if there ever was one.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #35
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
It depends on the rider. While visiting Spain/France/Portugal this summer we came across an australian couple on a Vespa. They picked up the Vespa in Germany and were in Barcelona at the time.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #36
Pejie
old rider

Oddometer: 789
came across a guy stopped on the hway on his scooter just outside bakers hill, only about a foot off the edge of the road with a flat rear. Late 60's italian couldn't speak english, really hot day, still with all his gear on. Half way thru fixing the flat he went white & started tapping his heart. Got him to sit down & had a chat. Turns out he left Perth 3 weeks before to visit his son in Sydney & was now 1 hour from his home in perth with a flat. I asked him if the cross wind on the nullabor was very strong. Not sure what he said but from the expression on his face i think it was an adventure ride. That was sure one special dad.
www.steelpony.com.au
Pejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #37
bigdag
vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer: 848
Is a Vespa an Adventure bike?

Kn oath.
I'm not game to ride one.
bigdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #38
Postman Pat
I _said_ I'd be there...

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdag
Not until I see celebrities (with support staff) riding them through Mongolia...
Postman Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #39
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,154
is a scoot an adventure bike? kenoath. but only if you're riding without a helmet or a short or shoes...

I spent a week on one in bali and decided to go wandering one day. i had no map, no idea of where anywhere was but I think i got over half the island that day, still dont know how i managed to get home. my theory was that if i asked anyone where i was then i'd just get lost so i kept riding till i got somewhere.

what was interesting was how many scooters i passed that were parked under the front of buses. trucks etc.

denpassar in peak hour was good fun, it makes a change to ride where the bikes outnumber the cars by a gazzillion to one.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #40
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Eh?

ever ridden up to the lights, next to a hot bird in a ultra-mini on a scoot? come to chapel street, south yarra. i damn near pierced the tank with a woody!

but I'd be ashamed to ride a vespa.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #41
Mototrans
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
For sure ...

i've seen heaps of guys that punch dirt tracks every weekend riding them...

"Ignorance of the law will never save you. Good suspension and a full tank might." - Sundowner
Mototrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #42
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
It's not the bike, it's the ride that makes an adventure. How many GS's, Adventure models, do you see advertised "never been off road". I've met some of the owners, never ever ridden on gravel, let alone a fire trail or bulldust.

Wankers. They should have bought Vespas.
so going off road is the only criteria for adventure rider? I don't think so

your words " it,s the ride that makes an adventure" how ture no matter what surface you ride on

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #43
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototrans
i've seen heaps of guys that punch dirt tracks every weekend riding them...
you don't mean snack-and-stack, do ya?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #44
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646

Hmm, Vespa, adventure, well if you want real adventure on a vespa, go and ride one around Hanoi or Ho Chi Min city, the Vina babes will love you long time.
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:48 AM   #45
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
ever ridden up to the lights, next to a hot bird in a ultra-mini on a scoot? come to chapel street, south yarra. i damn near pierced the tank with a woody!

but I'd be ashamed to ride a vespa.
Stop this. i will tell your rabbi what dirty thoughts you have.

But they are such a nice thing to stop next to in the lights you wish that the light will never change.