Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #46
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgeoff
It's entirely possible that most of the above (Adventurers) were in fact pizza delivery riders doing a runner on the shops bikes with their satchels stuffed with dripping mozzarella coated little numbers
I delivered takeaways on my motorbike while i was at high school... although it wasn't on a scooter... I had a 1981 GSX750ET....

I got pulled up one night, and the cop went over the bike until he found something to give me a ticket for. No warning, and he was grinning like an idiot..

I found out later the local cops had a bet to see who could ping me... and even had rules... like they couldn't wait for me within 2 blocks of the shop.

It seems riding a noisey matt black GSX round town dragging cars off the lights with a big reflective box on the back attracted a bit of attention
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #47
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
Thumb Is a Vespa and Adventure bike..

Hell yeah... But only if you:

1. put any considerable distance on it..
2. go camping on it.
3. take it off road.
4. go to a rally on it.
5. get either wheel off the ground while drunk.
6. paint it camo
7. put knobblies and crash bars on it
8. do donuts on your mates lawn.
9. jump something taller than you or longer than the vespa.

But if you just ride to a cafe... you're a posing wanker. you should hand in your "man-badge" and get a job as a hairdresser.
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #48
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Scooters are for girly men, metrosexuals, and women.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #49
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet
Hell yeah... But only if you:

1. put any considerable distance on it..
2. go camping on it.
3. take it off road.
4. go to a rally on it.
5. get either wheel off the ground while drunk.
6. paint it camo
7. put knobblies and crash bars on it
8. do donuts on your mates lawn.
9. jump something taller than you or longer than the vespa.

But if you just ride to a cafe... you're a posing wanker. you should hand in your "man-badge" and get a job as a hairdresser.
there'd be nothing left of the scoot after you're done with it. and you aint got any hair anyways.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #50
DaveO
BOF

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
so going off road is the only criteria for adventure rider? I don't think so

your words " it,s the ride that makes an adventure" how ture no matter what surface you ride on
+1
Just go look at the "Battle Scooter" section of this forum.

DaveO
DaveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #51
SharonVespaGirl
Intl. Lady of Leisure

Oddometer: 111
Of course the Vespa is an adventure "bike"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong
ask Sharon, who is a member of this forum and goes everywhere on em.

Hi Sharon
I'm here.

I'm planning going to a scooter rally in Qld. next year on mine. I've already been as far as Port Macquarie (1700kms each way) as well as other places.

We just had a scooter rally in Bicheno (east coast Tas) and one guy rode from Brisbane on his Vespa (2500+kms).

One of our Hobart club members rode from Perth on his Vespa (yes, the one in W.A.) across the Nullabor to get back to Tassie.

Then there's the two brothers who rode around the country for a cancer charity http://www.rightaroundaustralia.com on two Vespa PX200s. They had loads of adventures.

Anyone who is ashamed to ride a Vespa might, just might, be insecure in his manhood.
SharonVespaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #52
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonVespaGirl

Anyone who is ashamed to ride a Vespa might, just might, be insecure in his manhood.
In fairness, Sharon, some of the inmates here do call me Sheryl.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #53
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
In fairness, Sharon, some of the inmates here do call me Swanger.
corrected

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #54
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
In fairness, Sharon, some of the inmates here do call me Sheryl.
And that's just for starters.........
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #55
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,270
Ok, I think we have fairly well established the Vespa is an adventure bike then?!

Thanks all for your input.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #56
scottmulti
Ktm 640 Adv, WR250R

Oddometer: 34
Riding a scooter is like having sex with a fat woman, its good fun but you wouldn't tell your mates!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #57
Aussie Jase
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Probably been said before....but

This may not belong here but here goes..

I was riding back from a mates place today as you do after too many and don't feel like losing your licence or even worse.....any how I digress....I pull up at the lights and there is this cute little chicky babe on her scooter in a helmet, singlete, shorts and thongs. Ok its a good look usually, but man the next thing I see another scooter ride past from another direction through the lights, a rather healthy sized male wearing the same gear. I then spent the rest of my one and a half hour trip taking mental note of what other riders were wearing. It is amazing, 100 per cent of scooter riders wore pretty much a helmet and just enough clothing so they couldn't get booked with indecent exposure, other riders, trailbike, sports cruisers super bikes were all wearing at least 1 part of protective ride wear excluding their helmets and many wore full leathers etc, some were most likely wearing Draggin Jeans or similar but I didnt account for them as it is almost impossible to tell ( I wear them as it is handy to go out in).

My questions to you are; Does riding a scooter make you immune from being knocked off it by a car?
As scooters in SA do not require a bike licence are the stats from their accidents recorded seperately, or in with cars or motorbikes?
How does this affect bike insurances?

Just curious and perplexed as to why people would be so dumb with their own personal protection and how it affects other responsible bike riders.
Jase
Aussie Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #58
fooledagain
midlife crisis?..bullshit

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Jase
As scooters in SA do not require a bike licence Jase

Is any sort of license required?

I'm just not addicted to shiny shit (regie308)

Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.
fooledagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #59
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Jase
This may not belong here but here goes..

I was riding back from a mates place today as you do after too many and don't feel like losing your licence or even worse.....any how I digress....I pull up at the lights and there is this cute little chicky babe on her scooter in a helmet, singlete, shorts and thongs. Ok its a good look usually, but man the next thing I see another scooter ride past from another direction through the lights, a rather healthy sized male wearing the same gear. I then spent the rest of my one and a half hour trip taking mental note of what other riders were wearing. It is amazing, 100 per cent of scooter riders wore pretty much a helmet and just enough clothing so they couldn't get booked with indecent exposure, other riders, trailbike, sports cruisers super bikes were all wearing at least 1 part of protective ride wear excluding their helmets and many wore full leathers etc, some were most likely wearing Draggin Jeans or similar but I didnt account for them as it is almost impossible to tell ( I wear them as it is handy to go out in).

My questions to you are; Does riding a scooter make you immune from being knocked off it by a car?
As scooters in SA do not require a bike licence are the stats from their accidents recorded seperately, or in with cars or motorbikes?
How does this affect bike insurances?

Just curious and perplexed as to why people would be so dumb with their own personal protection and how it affects other responsible bike riders.
Jase
as scooters stem for the European look and feel (not to mention asian)...take a trip sometime to Paris or the Tuscan and southern Italian areas and see how they ride and the gear they wear. Go to anywhere in asia and check out the saftey gear they wear.

Then check out the advertising for scooting and you'll see the marketing is very much oriented around those genres - so what else would people do than imitate the fashion
carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #60
andtfoot
Bike Misappropriator

Oddometer: 314
I've seen a few scooter riders wear more safety gear than I do (helmet, back protector, gloves, boots, jacket, jeans) . Good on 'em!

The only reason I don't wear draggins is the price vs benefit. >$200 for jeans that wear out in a couple of months, and still having blood everywhere when I crash...
andtfoot is offline   Reply With Quote