ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
nuke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Easy November D.V. ride for a n00b?

Interested in some easy rides from the SF Bay area into DV for a noob to take on over the next couple of weeks before bad weather sets in. Any suggestions for routes? Was thinking about a ride in on the highway, get a room at Stovepipe or Furnace Creek for a night or two, do a little easy exploring and sight-seeing. Just need to get out of town for a while before my head explodes.
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,062
How noobish are you? Like "never taken a bike off road" kind of noob? Are you riding with anybody else? If not, stick to the road, there's still a lot to see.

Death Valley is a great place to ride, but it's isolated, unforgiving, and hazardous if you are unprepared and inexperienced. Even if you're experienced, you still need to be careful, as getting stranded 100 miles from anything is completely possible. Carry water, food, and clothing for any kind of weather. Have your SPOT with you and make sure people know where you're going.

If your an OK dirt rider, Titus Canyon and Westside Road are good easy rides.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
nuke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I'm going to stay out of the dirt for now, except for maybe a decent, maintained dirt road. Probably going by myself, I tend to do that. I've flown over the place about a zillion times in small planes, but never ridden it.

Suggested, low hazard routes? Or any paved roads that are more hazardous than they look on the map?
nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke
I'm going to stay out of the dirt for now, except for maybe a decent, maintained dirt road. Probably going by myself, I tend to do that. I've flown over the place about a zillion times in small planes, but never ridden it.

Suggested, low hazard routes? Or any paved roads that are more hazardous than they look on the map?
The paved roads are sweet. However, since you've been in planes alot you know weather plays a big role even in winter. You go from 0 to 5,000 ft in a few minutes and you can hit ice and snow.... or flash floods.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke

They were doing a lot of road construction this past spring between Scotty's Castle and Furnace Creek, so most of the valley roads should be fine. I know the road going to the Ubehehe Crater was in pretty rough shape the last time I was there, as was the road out to the Charcoal Kilns.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
jarthur
Old Desert Rat

Oddometer: 229
Death Valley

tbarstow is right about preparation especially gas. Carry extra gas and do not pass a gas station without topping off before heading off road. Gas usually is avalilable at Panamint Springs, Stove Pipe and Furnace Creek, but call ahead to confirm they have not run out.

Other typically well maintained dirt roads are:

Saline Valley Road, but beware the weather and road conditions over Hunter Mountain (6000 feet) this time of year and you are heading out into very isolated areas.

Indian Ranch Road to Ballarat from the Panamint Valley Rd. - Trona Wildrose Rd. split. You can keep going from Ballarat to the entrance to Goler Wash, but do not attempt Goler Wash.

The road from Ubehebe Crater to Teakettle Junction and the Race Track is OK, but there are sections of 2-4 inches deep of lose rock about the size of small to medium drainage rock and a lot of washboard unless it has been graded recently. Do not attempt Lippincott Road!

Ride smart and safe.

Jack
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=20

Besides the paved stuff, I recomend 20 mule team, Charcoal Kilns, and Augerberry pt. 20 Mule team and the Charcoal kilns are very easy. Augerberry point is a little steeper and maybe rougher toward the end.

Do allow plenty of time to get out and back. It's starting to get dark early this time of year. Have fun.