ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #196
CCer
missing

Oddometer: 197
Frank and Joel try it out in front of an audience.

Joel came in too hot and washed out the front end

Then the action moved to a deep uphill rut

Frank cleaned it numerous times, but here's a shot of a fall at the top. Sorry Frank, get-offs are more interesting.

jeff rides through like there's no rut

then shows how to cross it, front wheel up

or way up

or just jump the damn thing

Frank was wondering if his XR could do a 3rd gear wheelie. Jeff said no problem and demo'ed.

Then on Joel's bike

We didn't stay long. Vicky's bike went down in the sand and the carb never recovered - probably a stuck needle value. Jeff, thanks for you're help there too and getting the bikes loaded up.

Next goal is to get Vicky up on SCD.
CCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #197
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Suzuki Phil made it home ok, great to meet other ADV riders. Hope see everyone at the Big Bear ride.

SP
Suzuki Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #198
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
We got home about an hour ago.

Great riding yesterday in an area I've never been to but will go back for sure. Thanks to Charlie for putting this together. Looking forward to doing it again.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #199
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 520
Vern, Ti-D-Bowl (Tom), and myself are back safe and sound, had a great ride, Thanks Alon and ??????..... oh Danny, for the adventure. Just glad no one got shot!! hehe. I wish we weren't so knackered Sat eve, but all is good.
J.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #200
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990
Vern, Ti-D-Bowl (Tom), and myself are back safe and sound, had a great ride, Thanks Alon and ??????..... oh Danny, for the adventure. Just glad no one got shot!! hehe. I wish we weren't so knackered Sat eve, but all is good.
J.

ok, i deserve it.... is it Jeff?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #201
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 520
Jon, Danny, Jon!!!!!
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #202
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990
Jon, Danny, Jon!!!!!
are you sure? ...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #203
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
we test are skils with this type o terrain

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #204
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
home before 7 pm.....what a weekend....

first day...i ate a lot of shit.

2nd day....more shit...

anyway thanks jeff for the skilz drill and i'll work on it (for a long time)....

sorry dale to dissapoint the audience, what can i do , it's natural.....

thanks to everyone for sharing a fun weekend...especially to cribaby for being a gracious host....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #205
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,380
I'm home, had a great weekend, lotsa riding

Thanks to Charlie & his dad

it was great to see you guys & meet some new folks
Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #206
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
trailtrick > My Smug Mug >  baja dn saw mill ridesuruguay also 155

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #207
STU CAZZO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thumb Nice Weekend

Thanks everyone for the great weekend, we all had a fun time! It was good to see some old faces...it's been quite awhile!

Speical shout out to Jeff for dedicating his time to the underskilled. I learned alot of skillz from you Jeff and I truley appreciate it. Jennifer says thank you also for your patience and time with her. She also gained something this weekend. Jeff, you are a hell of a rider and hill climber!

Thank you again Charlie and John for setting up this weekend! It was a pleasure meeting you both!

I meet alot of new people this weekend and look forward to seeing you all again in the future. Be safe till the next time!!
STU CAZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #208
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Got home yesterday around 7pm. Herrmelmet and I took a long, long ride to Husky..........almost. Jim's bike overheated in the desert, so we sat and admired the view and drank beer on the side of the mountains and contemplated Jim's slow death as I left him there due to not having any pegs to ride him out if we had to .

After his bike cooled down we hit miles and miles of woops and sand. We parted ways at Cuddeback as he was satying the night at Teagle. I rode more trails to KJ. Fueled and then hit the dirt again outside of KJ. Got chased down by a crazy guy in a truck and gun rack . Didn't like the looks of him, so I peeled out across shit I knew he couldn't follow in. Stayed in the dirt until 10 miles before Adelanto. Too beat, so I hit the pavement until............major wreck on the Cajon pass and traffic was crawling. Found a break in the fence and crossed countried to Baldy Mesa. Took BM to the 138 and hit the 15 again.

Thanks to Charlie for the bunk and the breakfast .

Hope everyone had fun on the "part II" Brewery run

Thanks to Joel for bringing out my tire and other shit, and to Cathy for bringing out my long lost sandals from DV.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #209
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
dannyG on his new SE .. . and next to him is another nOOb learning some desert skilz...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #210
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Saturday: In the morning I decided to play around camp for a couple hours. From the last time I rode in the desert with Ben and Bob a few months back I knew I needed practice on riding sand washes and whoops. I had no problem finding either near camp so I spent an hour or so working on my technique for riding both. It was a very good solo training session.

I got back to camp as Rob (notmybikemodelname) was pulling up. He wanted to go catch up with the folks that had left a few hours earlier going to the Burro Schmidt tunnel. Those that were still at camp were going to do the training that Jeff was leading. After my solo training session I had some confidence so I went with Rob. He took me on a really fun, fast paced (for me) ride with some phenomenal vistas (and tasty Coronas) that got us to the tunnel not too long after the first group got there.

So now we were 9: Charlie (cribaby), John (Charlie's dad and a super cool dude), Paul (Loner), Phil (suzuki phil), Rob (?, riding a TE310), Dan (Terranova), Cathy (sopascat) and Rob and myself.

We decided to go to the Indian Wells Brewing Co. and sample their wares. We road mostly powerline roads to the 14 near Inyokern where we had the really nice Mojave Red and Mojave Gold lagers which were both excellent. I got to go back and try the Lobotomy Bock with it's hefty 10.8% alcohol!

Dan decided to slab back to camp. Now we were 8, but not for long. Rob was so anxious to get at that Mojave Red he had left his key on and now the Dakar's battery was dead. After a couple pushes, a couple tows, a bunch of jumps from the SUV of some friendly locals and the better part of an hour we figured the battery was toast. It was getting late so Rob told us to get going and he'd call AAA and get a lift to Ridgecrest and try to buy a new battery. Now we were 7.

John was on a quad and we had a couple unplated bikes so slab was not an option. The sun was getting low and it was time to make tracks. But first the dirt bikes needed gas. After a detour to Inyokern for gas we got on an old railroad bed that basically paralleled Brown road. This was a super cool trail that you could cruise at a good pace. Charlie was in the lead (he has an awesome sense of direction, a great guy to have leading you through the desert!) and periodically would stop and let the group get back together. At one such stop we thought it was taking the last 3 a little long to catch up when Charlie's phone rings. It's Cathy telling us Rob had a flat. So we double back to help with the repair. Phil had to get back to camp because he had to get home so he got on the slab and high tailed it. So now we were 6.

Rob had put a 2" gash in the rear tire of his TE310. With an assist from Charlie Rob got the new tube in and we were back on the trail in about 45 minutes. But now the sun was very low in the sky and we had about an hour still to camp. If I wanted practice riding sand and whoops I got my share after we left the beautiful RR bed trail and started across the desert to camp because now it was dark and we hit plenty of sand and whoops. Thank God for Charlie because I had no idea where we were. We pulled into camp about 8pm. I was a whooped pup but it had been a great ride. No one crashed. And best of all Rob pulled into camp a couple hours later with his new battery he was able to buy in Ridgecrest so everybody made it back to camp. No hospital visits and no bikes trucked back to camp.

Thanks to Rob and Charlie for leading a really great ride. I can't wait to get out there again.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote