Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
sysie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Nuvi on a 800GS

Ok, so you are not suppose to use a Nuvi on a bike, but I have a nuvi and no money for a Zumo.... so I waterproofed my Nuvi with untiglare sheet and electrical tape.... it survived a few summer storms the last two weeks

And I sommer used the windscreen/dash mount that you get with it in the box.... just stuck it on the side of the screen and the secured it with 2 cableties to ensure that it does not fall off... it does not vibrate at all and is very easy to read

sysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197
I like it!

Looks like a GREAT solution to me!

I did a short run with one of the older C-series units stuck to the gas tank as it it too big to fit in the windshield area - it was ok as I was only using it for the last few miles of the trip to navigate thru town, but it would NOT have been good on the highway as I had to look down to far.

With all the close-out prices on the various Nuvi models you could bust two or three of them before you got up to the price of the Zumo. I worry a little bit about the long-term effects of the extra vibration, but not sure the Zumo really has that much "extra" protection in that area, and the mount is a pretty good "isolator".
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Bike-N-Hike
'03 F650GSD, '06 AN650AK6

Oddometer: 87
nuvi

I too use a nuvi due to the expense of the waterproof models.
I'd rather ride with a Nuvi and have the freedom of not stopping at intersections and
pulling out the maps. It really sucks when navigating at night with maps.
It looks like your usng the ball and socket arrangement that attaches to car windshields.
I use a RAM cradle and mount mine to the handle bars. This setup cost me another
$40 but gives me flexibilty when moving it from one bike to the other.
I rode through days of rain last riding season while touring with no problems.
I place a small zip lok baggy over the unit then snap it into the RAM mount.
The ram mount hold the zip lok baggy very tightly around the unit.
The wires come out the bottom of the baggy and you still can use the touch screen.
I will admit that it is a little harder to read through the baggy but it is virtually waterproof.
I've never seen the baggy condense water vapor. I carry extra baggys because they
wear out after a few times of taken the unit out of the cradle. With prices of GPS
dropping down to $100 even if the gps gets ruined by accident its beats pulling out the maps all the time.
"Touratech Tank Bag"with Garmin Oregon 450T
'06, Suzuki, Burgman 650 Exec, ABS, 34K Miles
Bike-N-Hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Another possibility

Pelican makes a small waterproof case for storing expensive electronics. The below unit is large enough to fit most any GPS's. By Magellan 5310 is a 5" screen and loud enought to hear over the MC. I'm experimenting with this one from REI...$15.00 on ebay or $29.00 at REI and trying to mount it to a stock motorcycle mount. Unit comes with water proof canel for inserting a headset. Case is easy to open but I'd never change routes on the GPS while moving.

LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
cruceno
Habitual Line Crosser

Oddometer: 175
Did you guys have a problem when you powered your Nuvi from the bike? I bought a RAM mount (which works GREAT), and figured that I could use the cigarette lighter plug that came with the Nuvi to power it. I wired up a cigarette lighter outlet on the bike, and plugged the nuvi in for the first time, and blew the fuse in the plug. I replaced the fuse and checked all my connections, but keep blowing fuses. I happens with the bike running or not. Anybody run into that?

http://www.dontpeeonmyhouse.com
cruceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruceno
Did you guys have a problem when you powered your Nuvi from the bike? I bought a RAM mount (which works GREAT), and figured that I could use the cigarette lighter plug that came with the Nuvi to power it. I wired up a cigarette lighter outlet on the bike, and plugged the nuvi in for the first time, and blew the fuse in the plug. I replaced the fuse and checked all my connections, but keep blowing fuses. I happens with the bike running or not. Anybody run into that?
Wow ... that's screwy...
I guess it works OK plugged into the lighter socket of your car?

Jim
Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
I have the Nuvi 260 amd will use it with my bike. I ordered a RAM mount for it ($33). Plan to use the zip lock bag as well. I also ordered a RAM cradle box (but I think that the box will be used only on extreme riding scenarios). Can't wait for the mounts to arrive so I can try the Nuvi on the bike. Certainly beats the stopping for a map check. Now I've been inquiring whether the 260 can upload topo maps and have not heard anything definitive. I guess it will do with city navigator.
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike-N-Hike
I too use a nuvi due to the expense of the waterproof models.
I'd rather ride with a Nuvi and have the freedom of not stopping at intersections and
pulling out the maps. It really sucks when navigating at night with maps.
It looks like your usng the ball and socket arrangement that attaches to car windshields.
I use a RAM cradle and mount mine to the handle bars. This setup cost me another
$40 but gives me flexibilty when moving it from one bike to the other.
I rode through days of rain last riding season while touring with no problems.
I place a small zip lok baggy over the unit then snap it into the RAM mount.
The ram mount hold the zip lok baggy very tightly around the unit.
The wires come out the bottom of the baggy and you still can use the touch screen.
I will admit that it is a little harder to read through the baggy but it is virtually waterproof.
I've never seen the baggy condense water vapor. I carry extra baggys because they
wear out after a few times of taken the unit out of the cradle. With prices of GPS
dropping down to $100 even if the gps gets ruined by accident its beats pulling out the maps all the time.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
sebas
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 40
That seems like a really good solution.

I was considering buying a nuvi 550 which is supposed to be waterproof but it's too expensive, not sure if it's worth it if I can just get one of the 2xx series and seal it with plastic and tape.

Another option is the new Givi GPS bag (here it's cheaper than a RAM mount) but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually used it first, not sure if it's really practical for using the GPS while riding (pressing the touch screen through that thick plastic might be a bit awkward).
sebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #9
cristi-mic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I am also using a Nuvi 250 mounted on a custom-made aluminim ball (fastened on the smaller crossbar of the handlebar) with the original socket/cradle. It is protected in a small pouch and secured with a cord. Not really waterproof but easily removable in case of big rain.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Givi S850 & (small hijack) can Google Maps route load to GPS?

Details on the Givi S850 case are not in great supply...
I can't find the thing on the GiviUSA website.
Price seems to be about $80 ... Might be OK
http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...gps-holder.htm

I still may stick it to the inside of my windscreen....

IN SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC news:

I really love creating my riding routes on Google Maps as you can just "drag" the route around until I've got all the twisties and none of the slab.... but I can't find a way to "export" that route into a GPS can it be done? The "MapSource" application that comes with Garmin GPSs is not as nice... I have not messed with any TomTom units yet....

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
DCL
00b

Oddometer: 25
I know Google maps allows you to export destinations but I am not sure if you can export routes. However, you should be able to export routes at mapquest.com with some limitations (see their FAQ).

DCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
IN SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC news:

I really love creating my riding routes on Google Maps as you can just "drag" the route around until I've got all the twisties and none of the slab.... but I can't find a way to "export" that route into a GPS can it be done? The "MapSource" application that comes with Garmin GPSs is not as nice... I have not messed with any TomTom units yet....

Thanks,
Jim
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
Cool2 nuvi on my F800gs...I move it into the tank bag when it starts raining...

Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
I know Google maps allows you to export destinations but I am not sure if you can export routes. However, you should be able to export routes at mapquest.com with some limitations (see their FAQ).

DCL
Thanks ... it appears that it can't send the actual "route" but perhaps could be tweaked to use waypoints...
(Maybe I just need to learn to love MapSource ;-)

Why doesn't my GPS follow the same route that is displayed by MapQuest?
(Document #381)

The route displayed by your Garmin GPS device will be different from the route you see on MapQuest. That is because your GPS device is only able to receive waypoints or locations from MapQuest, and relies on its own algorithms and mapping capabilities to provide you with a route. Depending on your GPS device, your route may not provide as much detail as a MapQuest route.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
fargodroid
Banned

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristi-mic
I am also using a Nuvi 250 mounted on a custom-made aluminim ball (fastened on the smaller crossbar of the handlebar) with the original socket/cradle. It is protected in a small pouch and secured with a cord. Not really waterproof but easily removable in case of big rain.27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0">
That's what I've been thinking do with mine, I figure it would be 'almost waterproof'.
fargodroid is offline   Reply With Quote