Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
DaveRMS OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
ICO Racing's new Rallye MAX instrument lineup

Hi folks,

We've released two all-new ICO computers. Developed by myself and inmate Luke, leveraging the new software and hardware platform that we launched with the Rallye CAP last year.

The Rallye MAX is the wheel sensor model and the Rallye MAX-G is the GPS model. They both have speed, distance, and time functions. The Rallye MAX-G also has a compass heading (CAP) function.

The most noticeable feature is the new, fully custom built LCD. It has a 180 degree viewing angle in the vertical axis, for uncompromising visibility when seated or standing. It also has GIGANTIC digits and 11 helpful on-screen icons for enhanced usability. US/UK users... It's unit-aware, so no more fudging your wheel circumference to get it into miles. It even has two backlight levels: bright for daytime and twilight, and dim for nighttime.

Inmate Yellow Pig was one of our early testers. Here's a side-by-side comparison during the Cortez Rally. Notice this unit does not yet have the black overmold.

The Rallye MAX-G also has a new, faster GPS. It updates 5 times per second for super-smooth updates of the speed and CAP displays. This new GPS also has nearly instantaneous "warm" fixes. It also "locks" on your last CAP heading when you stop, unlike other GPS units which can go nuts when you stop.

The case is all-new as well. It has an integral, seamless lens to prevent moisture intrusion and subsequent condensation. It has a rugged black elastomer coating over a strong polycarbonate shell. The inner workings are potted in a rubber-like encapsulant. The case back is aluminum. This combination is super tough. The rubber has the give to absorb shock, and the polycarbonate protects against impact.

Many dealers already have them in stock and we're taking web orders online.

I hope you enjoy them! For full specs, manuals, and prices, see the website.

Dave

DaveRMS screwed with this post 06-24-2015 at 07:46 PM
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
DaveRMS OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quinn Cody

Quinn Cody also ran the Rallye MAX-G on his way to the overall win at the Cortez Rally. He gave it a big thumbs up and said he couldn't have done as well in the dunes without it.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
DaveRMS OP
Beastly Adventurer

Scott Bright's VERY BRIGHT Rallye MAX's

Scott didn't know about the "dim" backlight option during his morning liaison.

Rallye MAX on podium steps 1 and 2 of the Cortez Rally.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
DaveRMS OP
Beastly Adventurer

New OdoPause™ feature

Here's something else that's new and improved...

Small odo adjustments have always been easy. Imagine your ICO says 5.45 when you pass a note in the roadbook at 5.40. You just bump down 5 clicks without looking. Easy.

But for large corrections, where you have to look at the odo while you are moving, it's hard. Let's say you got lost and your odo says 8.92 when you got to that same note at 5.40.

Without OdoPause, you have a moving target. As you bump down, the wheel rotation is incrementing up! You'd have to bump down to 5.40 plus some fudge factor to compensate for the distance traveled while making the adjustment. Not very precise, and sometimes distracting.

With OdoPause, the odo freezes when you start making the adjustment and accumulates your moving distance in the background. You simply adjust down until the odo reads 5.40. After the adjustment, the Rallye MAX will add the extra distance traveled during the adjustment. It's very precise and intuitive.

Hope you like it. It was a big hit among all the testers.

Dave
Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,624
I really like the new ICO. The viewing angle is great. Where the old ICO had a very tight field of view so that I had to compromise the installation angle for either best view while standing or seated. With the Rally Max I had no such issues. I could clearly read the numbers while standing and while tucked low behind the fairing blasting across a dry lake bed.

The much larger digits also make it easier to read the numbers while bouncing across rough terrain.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 06-02-2015 at 11:25 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
DaveRMS OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sardinia FIM Rally Report

Hi folks,

We've raced with the pre-production units in Morocco, Qatar, and Mexico prior to the Sardinia Rally, but this was our first big race with the production units. I'm pleased to say that the response was overwhelming and quite positive. It seems the status quo was definitely not satisfying all of riders' needs.

First of all, our If You See Kay / Rally Pan Am team raced with them. Here's Scott Bright (aka FORE!) at scrutineering, smiling after we plugged his exhaust enough to pass the noise test:

Our Italian host/fixer/rider, Manuel Lucchese, made the switch from another brand back to ICO. He was really pleased he did.

And of course, Neduro ran the latest kit as well:

As I mentioned in my first post, one of the design goals of the new Rallye MAX case was to address design flaws inherent in existing instruments with regard to the possibility of condensation developing inside the lens. During the Sardinia Rally we had a very rainy stage that lasted all afternoon and stayed damp and humid into the evening. In the morning, quite a few of the older instruments from various brands had condensation in them. It was a great test of the new sealed, nitrogen filled lens cavity and seamless, integral lens. No condensation at all in any of the Rallye MAX's.

Of course, the biggest testament to any professional racing equipment is it's acceptance by top factory racers. I'm pleased to say that three riders from three factory teams all made the switch to the new Rallye MAX mid-race. Two of them without any previous testing!

Joan Pedrero of Factory Sherco loved it and won 2 stages running the new Rallye MAX.

Alessandro Botturi from Yamaha also made the switch. Botturi and Pedrero and ranked 1-2 overall for a while.

Finally, Pablo Quintanilla of factory KTM ran one starting on the marathon stage after apparently having some difficulties with his other instruments.

All-in-all, it was a great FIM debut for the new instruments. A years hard work was tested and validated in one of the toughest rally raids on the circuit.

Dave

DaveRMS screwed with this post 06-24-2015 at 07:22 PM Reason: typo
Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
DaveRMS OP
Beastly Adventurer

Coming up next...

I'll go through a number of our design decisions, outlining our way of thinking.

Dave
Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,951
Looking forward to your inovations for the company.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote