User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #751
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
Holy cow. This is a long thread.
Looks like you will have another customer in two months. I intended to purchase an Olympia Phantom, but was still uneasy because they don't fit me. I'm short (5'5"), 29" inseam and weigh a measly 140lb wet. I swim in the small Phantom and that is the smallest they make. The middle baloons out like I was carring quadruplets full term and the sleeves are almost 5" too long. I thought this was all I could get without spending a fortune in a customized Stitch suit (which I hear leak and are drafty anyway).

It seems as though the snug and contoured cut of the Lombard suits may be just the ticket. I was hesitant about the 'water' issue. All my gear is non-waterproof, even despite some claims that they are. Except for my heavy clumsy rain gear. I'm tired of being cold and wet. I'm willing to take a gamble on this suit, especially since the thermal liner has been upgraded. If the zippers leak, I'll try the Stitch Fix (waterproofing the zippers specifically).

I was leary of the velcro-closure vents. My old touring jacket had those and the velcro failed to adhere after one year. So the vents were basically venting all the time. No likey at all. Last winter I wore four layers underneath the danged thing OVER my heated vest.

My bikes are my primary vehicles. I commute, day trip, dirt ride and go on several week-long ventures. I ride dirt as well as street. I"m not looking for a 'do everything' suit; I have motocross and mesh gear for hot stuff. I want a one piece soltion for three-season touring that will retain reasonable (add a bit more to the last) dryness and keep this short, thin chick comfortable. And be reliable!

And I want Hi-Vis!!!!! When riding peak commuting interstates in the dark at 5:30 am, and 7:00 pm I want to be seen.

So let's see if this fits the bill. If it passes the test in the winter and spring here in TX (it's not always dry and hot here), it will go on a two-week+ long back country ride on a 350 in Oregon and on the TAT later. We'll see how it holds up to that, too.

I expect to place an order for a suit in early November. If Teiz will be at the Int. MC Show in Dallas in November, perhaps I can pick it up then? Will I need to order in October? I suspect a small will work best for me.

Thanks for the very informative thread, all.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #752
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,685
So there I was checking the valves on the XR in the garage on Saturday and a Fedex truck goes flying by, slams on the anchors and reverses....mmmm what's that all about.

Guy walks out carrying a largish box - mmmm I wonder if that's what I think it is. Yes, yes it is - the suit slated to arrive Tue actually arrived Sat afternoon

Tried it on immediately. Little snug with the liner in but still doable. Took the liner out - plenty of room. Had a play with it and yesterday went out on the S3 and so I figured I'd give it a try.

Few thoughts:

1. Leg adjustments are quite fiddly - especially when wearing the suit which is when you need to make the adjustments. A simple (and cheaper ) Velcro type strap/system would be much better I think. Also, even though there is plenty of adjustment in the shin area, we still really need a velcro strap on the bottom of the pant leg to cinch down any excess material in that area. A couple times I got a leg caught on a footpeg....

2. Arm adjustments should also be velcro if possible, maybe with elastic type straps. The push button adjustments are 'OK' but they don't give a whole lot of adjustment.

3. Pocket on the right hand sleeve is all but useless - I'd must prefer a map type pocket either on the left arm or, as per V1 suits, on the left thigh.

4. Suit is bordering on too big for me but that's not really the fault of the suit more my parents. That said, there does seem to be a ton of material in the arms that the current cinch straps don't really stop flapping.

5. The overall quality is excellent - I didn't find a single loose thread on the suit.

6. The big, body-length zip is a little fiddly to use - for some reason it will not zip very well at the start. That may just be technique so I will have to play with that.

7. Collar was a little itchy for me but a. I have a beard and b. most jackets do the same to me so I generally wear one of those buff things.

8. I didn't open any vents as the weather didn't warrant it here in New England so I can't comment on their efficiency but I will say, there's plenty of them.

9. The big pocket on the back - is that meant for a camelback type bladder ? If so a small pocket sewn into the pocket inside would help a great deal to stabilize the bladder - right now it seems to big. Also, a couple elastic loops in the right place to hold the drinking tube would be great.

10. The armor seems very nice - not just some pieces of foam but real, actual armor. I hope I never have to test it but if I do, I feel confident it will be up to the task.

11. The knee armor was way too high so I am hoping it will adjust down enough.

12. First thing I did was take the knee pucks off and I fitted the covers that came with the suit - it looks fine now.

13. The hood - didn't try it yesterday as it was a lovely day out but it is waterproof material where the hood is outside of the helmet and some sort of nylon stretchy material where it fits under the helmet. Not sure I''ll use that but since I've never had a jacket/suit with that feature that may just be because I never had the chance to.

14. Patch on the seat - not sure about this. I like to move around on the seat and this stops me but it also stops me sliding around when I don't want to. I also got, shall we say, a little perspiration problem in that area So, the jury is still out on that one but I will say, if you wear this while trying to get your knee down i.e. moving around on the sea, it will be a paid as you will have to lift your backside off the seat to do it.

That's about all I have for now.

Overall ? Pretty impressed espeically considering the price. If it performs in the wet as advertised, then I will be a very happy camper.

I give it (a provisional)

If I think of anything else I'll edit this post.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 09-21-2009 at 11:40 AM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #753
woot_in_NS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
If anyone wants to donate the knee pucks, or wants them scrubbed in... let me know ;)

They look really nice and tall - my current sliders are too short and I've scuffed the leather a few times as well as the knee.

Just an offer

Coming soon - full duplex phone quality comm... home brew.

Photos: http://wootninja.atpic.com/
woot_in_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #754
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,694
Mercury264, may I ask what size suit you have, and what is your height, weight, chest and waist size? This sort of sizing information will be a big help to us in comparing the sizing chart to real life. Thank you.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #755
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
Mercury264, may I ask what size suit you have, and what is your height, weight, chest and waist size? This sort of sizing information will be a big help to us in comparing the sizing chart to real life. Thank you.
Sure...no laughing now

I have a 4X and I am 5' 10", 240Lb, I take a 40" waist in pants and my chest is about 43". BTW I normally take a 30/32 in pant leg size - I'm really a 31" but well, as you prob know, nobody really makes a 31".

Given that, as I said, the suit was loose in the top on me BUT I was only wearing a pair of shorts and a long-sleeve T with no liner. I really think with the liner and/or more layers on top it would be fine - as it was on Sunday, the straps on the waist were about as tight as they could go with the straps being the way. As many have commented, the length is long when walking around (hence the need for a strap right on the bottom of the pant leg) but on the bike the length was perfect. The only place where there seemed to be an excess of material was in the sleeves - again, off the bike the length was too long but on the bike it was fine, it was just in the actual amount of material in the sleeve and the cinch straps didn't really do a great job of keeping it all under control.

HTH
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #756
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
waterproof?

Has anyone taken a ride in the rain with these yet? I'm curious abut the "waterproofness". Thinking about ordering a Lombard...
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #757
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
I have a 4X and I am 5' 10", 240Lb, I take a 40" waist in pants and my chest is about 43". BTW I normally take a 30/32 in pant leg size - I'm really a 31" but well, as you prob know, nobody really makes a 31".
This is so very helpful. The size chart would indicate that you should take a 2XL and so you went with a suit two sizes up from the chart and this works well with the liner and is somewhat large without the liner.

I am leaning more and more that if I want to use the suit as a commuter over my business clothing, I should probably buy a suit at least two sizes up from what the size chart indicates. If I would ordinarily buy an XL, I should probably be looking at a 3XL for my measurements to allow for use of the liner over the business suit. I would rather be a bit too big than a bit too small.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:32 AM   #758
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']rhys -

with the vented suit it will be especially difficult because of the waterproof liner. If it also altered, it will loose its integrity
since it will need to be sealed again.

However, if any additional materials are required, then please
email me and we can discuss that.

keeb-
thanks for the pictures and feedback.

recycled -
thanks for the feedback. The knee armor is quite adjustable.
Just open up the armor pocket and you will that the you stick
on the armor any where on the velcro strip inside the pocket

deans -
yes these are v2 suits.

texasshadow - looking forward to your purchase. if you want to pick up a Small at the show, i recommend ordering in the next day or two so you suit can be part of the October shipment. We just
ran out of Small suits in the warehouse..

pax_maac-
the BMW Owner News review has fedback on riding as well

[/FONT]
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:43 AM   #759
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264

1. Leg adjustments are quite fiddly - especially when wearing the suit which is when you need to make the adjustments. A simple (and cheaper ) Velcro type strap/system would be much better I think. Also, even though there is plenty of adjustment in the shin area, we still really need a velcro strap on the bottom of the pant leg to cinch down any excess material in that area. A couple times I got a leg caught on a footpeg....

With this suit, we tried to miniize the use of velcro. The though process behind it was that (a) it will make the suit last longer (b) avoid the nuances that come with velcro such as sticking on thing unncessarily.

2. Arm adjustments should also be velcro if possible, maybe with elastic type straps. The push button adjustments are 'OK' but they don't give a whole lot of adjustment.

same reason as above. but the feedback is noted and we will try to improve on the design.

3. Pocket on the right hand sleeve is all but useless - I'd must prefer a map type pocket either on the left arm or, as per V1 suits, on the left thigh.

as pointed out by rhys, the main reason for this is the dry cleaning/ washing of the suit. Additionally, recurring feedback was that people prefer to use tankbag map pockets for storing maps.

6. The big, body-length zip is a little fiddly to use - for some reason it will not zip very well at the start. That may just be technique so I will have to play with that.

do the right leg first. drop the zipper down and then zip up the left leg all the way.

7. Collar was a little itchy for me but a. I have a beard and b. most jackets do the same to me so I generally wear one of those buff things.

we switched to snap button collar closure instead of velcro for this reason. Velcro would have been worse.

9. The big pocket on the back - is that meant for a camelback type bladder ? If so a small pocket sewn into the pocket inside would help a great deal to stabilize the bladder - right now it seems to big. Also, a couple elastic loops in the right place to hold the drinking tube would be great.

the hydration pocket is no more and therefore we got rid of the drinking tube tab as well. they might make a come back later. they were removed because we want to the get the size of the pocket right. so we are experimenting with various options. the current huge back pocket is for storing the liner, a change of clothes or documents. basically its like a mini backpack.

yes the pocket features a velcro strip that runs downs the pocket. so you can stick on the armor at any position inside the pocket.
Hope this addresses most concerns. keep updating us with feedback and pictures
Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #760
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
This is so very helpful. The size chart would indicate that you should take a 2XL and so you went with a suit two sizes up from the chart and this works well with the liner and is somewhat large without the liner.

I am leaning more and more that if I want to use the suit as a commuter over my business clothing, I should probably buy a suit at least two sizes up from what the size chart indicates. If I would ordinarily buy an XL, I should probably be looking at a 3XL for my measurements to allow for use of the liner over the business suit. I would rather be a bit too big than a bit too small.
I have 'athletic' thighs and calves so I generally have to buy gear to fit those areas. Oh, my arse 'aint small either

I originally tried a 3X in V1 of the suit and it was too small, especially in the torso but it was also too small in other areas - I couldn't wear the liner with the suit for example. I sent it back and that's how I ended up with a 4X.

As I commented, the top half in particular is big on me - or was Sunday but I was only wearing a long-sleeve T-shirt. With the liner and/or layers in, I think it will be just fine.

I'm with you on sizing - I'd much rather something be a little on the big side rather than small.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 AM   #761
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
Hope this addresses most concerns. keep updating us with feedback and pictures

With this suit, we tried to miniize the use of velcro. The though process behind it was that (a) it will make the suit last longer (b) avoid the nuances that come with velcro such as sticking on thing unncessarily.
I understand your thinking but I really think Velcro in this area would be better, the strap system really is quite fiddly to adjust with the suit on.

same reason as above. but the feedback is noted and we will try to improve on the design.
A design I have on another jacket I have is 2 elastic straps coming together in a point, with the button on the end (if that makes sense) - this gives a better way to cinch down as much material as possible. Another strap in the middle of the arm would also help I think.

as pointed out by rhys, the main reason for this is the dry cleaning/ washing of the suit. Additionally, recurring feedback was that people prefer to use tankbag map pockets for storing maps.
Again, I understand your thinking here but my own personal preference would be for a map pocket - I really like the map pocket on the V1 suits and I doubt I will ever be dry cleaning the suit. Maybe provide it as an option ?

do the right leg first. drop the zipper down and then zip up the left leg all the way.
That's how I actually do it - when I said fiddly, it's something to do with the zip, I need to have a proper look at it and see what the scoop is. I think if I weren't having issues getting the zip started I could get the suit on in 30s or less.

we switched to snap button collar closure instead of velcro for this reason. Velcro would have been worse.
No problem with the snap collar - totally with you on it's use there instead of Velcro. The collar is actually pretty nice - nice feel and texture to it but as I said, it did get itchy for me but most collars do.

the hydration pocket is no more and therefore we got rid of the drinking tube tab as well. they might make a come back later. they were removed because we want to the get the size of the pocket right. so we are experimenting with various options. the current huge back pocket is for storing the liner, a change of clothes or documents. basically its like a mini backpack.
Ah, OK that makes sense. Personally, I don't like big pockets like that on the back - with anything substantial in the pocket it a. becomes a PIA to put the suit on and b. you end up looking like Quasimodo with a big hump back there. Personally, I would much prefer a pocket for a Camelback - as I said, maybe leave the pocket as it currently is, but provide a little pocket inside for a camelback and a couple elastic loops for those of use who want to use it for a camelback.

yes the pocket features a velcro strip that runs downs the pocket. so you can stick on the armor at any position inside the pocket.
I will try that today.

Thanks for the comments Ghazi - I hope I was not too negative as that was not my intention. The suit is a great suit - esp. for the price, and I'm sure it will provide great service for many years to come. I really looked hard for loose threads and general quality of the suit and it all looked good. The way it was packaged etc. also speaks to a quality product.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #762
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
Ah, I didn't notice the hydration pocket was eliminated in the new version. That feature was an attraction for me. Can the existing back packet be used to hold a bladder?

In reference to your previous response, can't order a suit until after October 1.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #763
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

i would not recommend putting a hydration bladder in it. it would just fall over and move around too much
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #764
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Saddened by the extent people would go to

Sigh..

Folks i just want you to know that i am here to ensure that you are satisfied with our products and service. I am not going to try to force the suit on you if you feel that its not what you wanted.

In the last few weeks i have been in touch with a lady who bought one of our v1 suits. She claimed that the suit magically, by simply sitting around, tore holes in itself and all the velcro strips came off. I asked her to send it back in. She sent me a long email of all the things she thought were wrong with it and how it was the worst product ever made. Then proceeded to send pictures which made something very apparent, confirmed upon receiving the suits .

some one has torn off the velcro strips. it was just so damn obvious
she then asked me to send her a replacement suit ( which is what i dont understand she said the suit sucks now.. why does she want a replacement)

folks, all i want to say is, you have a few days to check the stuff out. just send it back if you dont like it.. i would be happy to return it as per our return policies. why go to this extent? this lady obviously wanted an upgrade to Version 2.0 (Lombard) instead.

So please guys, i am here to listen to you. here to take your feedback and TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE FULLY SATISFIED. so there is no need to fall to this level that you tear the garment yourself and try to pass it off as something that magically tears holes in itself by lying around..

Just a humble request.

teizms screwed with this post 09-22-2009 at 08:07 AM
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #765
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Sadly Ghazi, you will always encounter people who try to do this sort of thing. Why ? I have no idea.

Keep going, don't let them get you down
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple