Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #841
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Ghazi,

will the leather differentiated line of mesh and vented survive the use of Pro-Shell ?
Will you just propose micro-perforated Pro-Shell or keep on with the current line of vented and mesh leathers?
I thought that Pro-Shell made sense only with micro-perforated leather, which is the middle point between plain vented and your version of mesh.
Also is the armor vented?

Can you elaborate there please?

Thank you
Hello,

We dont offer waterproof leather-mesh. leather-mesh is only available with TFL Cool System.

On regular (non mesh) leather, you can opt for both treatments (leather mesh AND TFL Cool System). All pockets and vents use waterproof zippers. But again, like always, we dont false advertise and say anything is a full 100% waterproof but we have made efforts to make the product as waterproof as possible.

With Pro-Shell ( a different product that we dont use), there is another layer mated on the leather hence the perforations are essentially useless (in terms of airflow).

Waterproof leather
The armor is not vented.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask away if you need more details.

lucas- actually i did not upload pictures of the CE armor. i will do so soon. till then. try this post from bugnut with some armor pictures
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=386

teizms screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 11:11 AM
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #842
KimR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
OK, then. Has anyone crash-tested one of these suits yet?
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #843
keeb
Live fast. Die young.

Oddometer: 60
lombard rain test

Well, I got to rain test the suit this morning for about 30 minutes at 60-70mph. This wasn't a downpour but it was more than a drizzle, if that gives you some perspective on the amount of precip. The suit performed well, but alas, the long arm vent zippers leaked. This was exactly where I assumed things would start leaking from first since that zipper has to articulate with your arm. That's asking a lot from this type of waterproof zipper. Still, I'm not a huge fan of the arm vents, and so I'm thinking about sealing those zippers somehow (or just wear a rain jacket under the suit). Other than letting a bit of water through to the outsides of both of my arms, the suit performed flawlessly. The grippy material in the butt/crotch is a great H2O barrier and my crotch remained dry... something the aerostitch crowd may be jealous about. This is not a deal breaker for me, because I, like Ghazi, am skeptical when somebody claims something as complex as a suit with a bunch of pockets and seams, is 100% wtrproof, so I didn't really presume the Lombard to be when I purchased it. It performed well as far as I am concerned, because the suit was soaked and I only had some damp spots on my arms.

Quote:
Evedrake]The same rubber rear end cover that keeps you from moving around on the seat will possibly grab the road when you are pitched off and cause you to tumble and pitch you all over the road. When you have a get off at speed you want to slide and disapate speed and energy. If you end up on your back side this might grip and fling you all over breaking arms, legs, neck etc.
I'm no engineer...but I'm a year from being one. So, I've learned a thing or two about friction. You make a good point about the butt having a higher coefficient of friction than the rest of the suit. However, I believe that by the time you have flown off the motorcycle and hit the pavement, you would be traveling fast enough to basically instantaneously overcome static friction and start sliding. The kinetic friction is much less than the static friction, and so I don't think you would instantly stop in your tracks and slam your face into the asphalt or whatever it may be that you envision.

This is just how I see it.
keeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #844
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
butt patch road-handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeb
Well, I got to rain test the suit this morning for about 30 minutes at 60-70mph. This wasn't a downpour but it was more than a drizzle, if that gives you some perspective on the amount of precip. The suit performed well, but alas, the long arm vent zippers leaked. This was exactly where I assumed things would start leaking from first since that zipper has to articulate with your arm. That's asking a lot from this type of waterproof zipper. Still, I'm not a huge fan of the arm vents, and so I'm thinking about sealing those zippers somehow (or just wear a rain jacket under the suit). Other than letting a bit of water through to the outsides of both of my arms, the suit performed flawlessly. The grippy material in the butt/crotch is a great H2O barrier and my crotch remained dry... something the aerostitch crowd may be jealous about. This is not a deal breaker for me, because I, like Ghazi, am skeptical when somebody claims something as complex as a suit with a bunch of pockets and seams, is 100% wtrproof, so I didn't really presume the Lombard to be when I purchased it. It performed well as far as I am concerned, because the suit was soaked and I only had some damp spots on my arms.

I'm no engineer...but I'm a year from being one. So, I've learned a thing or two about friction. You make a good point about the butt having a higher coefficient of friction than the rest of the suit. However, I believe that by the time you have flown off the motorcycle and hit the pavement, you would be traveling fast enough to basically instantaneously overcome static friction and start sliding. The kinetic friction is much less than the static friction, and so I don't think you would instantly stop in your tracks and slam your face into the asphalt or whatever it may be that you envision.

This is just how I see it.
+1

For that the butt patch should have been as grooved and thick and rigid as a TKC 80, since that's not the case, it would just ripple quickly up your ass contrary to the direction of travel (triggering painful wedgie and quashed nuts in the process) and let you pursue your leisurely slide upon the hot tarmac.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875

DakarBlues screwed with this post 10-15-2009 at 11:29 PM
DakarBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #845
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,302
500 mile report !!!

Well I have about 500 miles on my suit and here's the scoop.
I still have not mastered to trick for getting it on,it takes my about 3-5 minutes.Taking it off is great.I'm getting use to the butt patch and it really does work well in the rain !!.I love the feel of riding in a 1 piece suit,no air blowing up or in and it's very warm.I have used it from 32 degrees upto 60+ and it works great ( above 60 it's to warm for me ).Now today was the first WET ride and it was a soaker !!.1 hour of stop and go upto 75mph and it was raining moderate to heavy ( SEATTLE !!!).I ride a DL1000 so there is a little protection.I got home and took of the suit and I had ONE wet spot right about at my belly button about the size of a tennis ball !!.I have a tourmaster transition jacket with about 50,000 miles on it and it has NEVER leaked BUT,It has full lenght velcro on the main zipper cover.I think that if my suit had full lenght velcro on the main and right leg zipper this would solve the problem.I can see where water could get between the patches of velcro.So all in all I love the suit and I hope Ghazi will come upto the Seattle MC show,this is the PERFECT place for his products ( I would be a spokes person at his booth ).

Alan..
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #846
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Alan,

Have you applied any spray-on/wash in water-proofing products? Were you riding with the liner in?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #847
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Liner in,and I have not treated it with anything yet.The rest of the suit was good,just that little area.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #848
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,889
Ghazi,
How do I go about ordering custom size. Based on your site, I believe I need a Large down low and an XL up top.
Is this do'able ? Is there an up-lift? Or just a long wait?
Thanks for any info.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #849
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Word of caution...If you are going to get the HI VIZ yellow beware that it will get FILTHY dirty instantly !!!.I have about 600 miles on mine and it is REALLY dirty !!.It seems that every little thing out on the road seems to stain it.I tried to clean a small are with hot soapy water and it did nothing.It is not a real problem for me,I like the well used look BUT some people might like it to look clean.!!.BUT I have heard that the " stitch" does the same thing,so it might just be the nature of the HI VIZ beast !!.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #850
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider
Word of caution...If you are going to get the HI VIZ yellow beware that it will get FILTHY dirty instantly !!!.I have about 600 miles on mine and it is REALLY dirty !!..BUT I have heard that the " stitch" does the same thing,so it might just be the nature of the HI VIZ beast !!.
It is. My previous worn out touring jacket was an early HiVis yellow and...... it's now blackish (brackish? ) I plan on spraying the new suit with a Scotch compound that will make the fabric easier to keep clean. Plus it helps with the H2O-proofing.
(the only HiVis gear that seems to repel dirt is a newish FirstGear mesh jacket. It's still neon yellow after a couple grand of miles on it: rain, wind, dirt and shine)
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #851
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
btw.. i am expecting all your guys (purchase or no purchase) to show up athe shows because i really want to meet your all
I'll bring a few Texas derelicts with me while there...after I replace my lost ear plug
I intend to try a small on at your booth. If it fits, I'll order a HiVis Lombard right then and there.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #852
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,689
Ghazi, has the latest shipment arrived here in the US yet?
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #853
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
ride2little - you can email about your custom sizing. all kinds of customizations are possible. the wait is 6-8 weeks for a custom suit as well.

northwest- yes sir the hi viz is a bit difficult to mantain. even in our factory while working with this material, we have to make an extra effort to ensure that it does not get dirty easily. The good news is that now the suit is easy to wash once you remove the liner and armor . Handwash is recommended. You can also experiment with throwing in a waterproofing agent if you would like

milcreel and the rest of you waiting for previous orders - those with orders due in october- the suits are ready and on the way. i expect them to be shipped out sometime next week. i will keep you guys up to date
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #854
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,689
I will be interested to see how the high-viz orange holds up under road dirt. I have the Olympia Phantom suit, AST jacket and a couple of other jackets in the high-viz fluorescent neon-green. They do tend to show the dirt.

I wash them once a year: either by hand in the bathtub, or I take it to the laundromat and wash them in the commercial tumble washer on the delicate cycle.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #855
ithaca00
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
will you have suits in a full range of colors at the IMS shows?
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote