Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #106
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
My Olympia gear does not leak at the vents, as long as I have the vents closed and the velcro cover secured over the zippers. I imagine that if I did ride in the rain with the vents open, I would get water intrusion through the vents. A friend of mine has a Roadcrafter suit, and after using it and my Phantom, feels that the Phantom is considerably more water-resistant than his Roadcrafter.
Ride in harder rain, or wait a few years.

The mesh part that covers the vents sticks out into the area between the outer shell and the waterproof liner. If the rain is hard enough, it will wick water in right onto your arms unless you seal it yourself. Ditto on the back vents. And the chest vents.

I had an AST that started leaking pretty badly after the warranty expired, so I opened it up to fix it. Membrane had failed in the arms, but the mesh kept wicking water onto my arms and back after I fixed the membrane. Sealed those, and now my jacket actually is waterproof.

Too bad I don't wear it anymore.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #107
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,811
Hmm, both my Olympia Phantom suit and Voyager jacket are about a year old. Since I live in Seattle, I have frequently ridden through some quite hard rains. I have not yet experienced the same issue as you. It will be interesting to see if I have similar things happen with my gear in the future.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #108
Jim Goose
Bad Ass.

Oddometer: 123
I am interested.

At least this guy is offering a variety of colors and is bang on target with some of the obvious needs of riders. If its of the same quality as Olympia, which I believe is good, it will get the edge in my view, for style etc..

loose the knee pucks and hydration pocket though. Simplicity is functional.
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #109
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
At least this guy is offering a variety of colors and is bang on target with some of the obvious needs of riders. If its of the same quality as Olympia, which I believe is good, it will get the edge in my view, for style etc..

loose the knee pucks though.
+1

Just look silly on a touring suit such as this.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #110
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

loose the knee pucks and hydration pocket though. Simplicity is functional.
Hi,
you can simply slide off the knee sliders as they are attached via velcro.

thanks
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #111
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Video

Hey guys,
MotoSportsBusiness.com just posted a video of the suit from indy. Here is the link:

http://www.motosportsbusiness.com/te...y-dealer-expo/

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #112
Jim Goose
Bad Ass.

Oddometer: 123
Video looks good Tiez!

Question.

What type of stitching at the seams are u using on these suits?
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #113
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,613
The video helped alot.Good idea..
NortwestRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #114
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I can't say for sure I'd buy one right now, but I get the feeling that if these cost $450 and that was the only difference that people would be much less wary about them.

I might consider picking up a mesh suit this summer though...

QUESTION:

Will the mesh suit come with any water-proof liners so that it can be used for touring?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #115
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
I can't say for sure I'd buy one right now, but I get the feeling that if these cost $450 and that was the only difference that people would be much less wary about them.

I might consider picking up a mesh suit this summer though...

QUESTION:

Will the mesh suit come with any water-proof liners so that it can be used for touring?
It won't take long after they are out to get third party reviews. I'd bet it is pretty descent... I'm concerned about to many seams and widgets and zippers everywhere to break and or rip or wear out quickly.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #116
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

third party reviews

Folks,
Currently we have submitted suits to magazines/sites for reviews and I think if you folks show your interest to them, they might come out with reviews faster.

Its still pretty cold in many places therefore its going to take a little bit of time for people to put some miles in the suits.
Expecting reviews from the following:

Roadbike
BMW Owner News
WebBikeWorld
Motorcycle Riders Club of America
Urban Moto
American Motorcyclist

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #117
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero

The mesh suit does not have water proof or thermal liners. It a version dedicated for summer (non-wet) riding.

The price point is such that we want people to buy both version. One version for the summer and one for the rest of the year.
Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #118
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
One more important question I forgot to ask, for the 4XL size, what is the circumference of the calf (mid calf). This will be a deal sincher for me I think.

I ask because I have ginormous gastrocnemius and soleus muscles and I often can't get pants that fit over me and my boots.
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #119
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms
Folks,
Currently we have submitted suits to magazines/sites for reviews and I think if you folks show your interest to them, they might come out with reviews faster.

Its still pretty cold in many places therefore its going to take a little bit of time for people to put some miles in the suits.
Expecting reviews from the following:

Roadbike
BMW Owner News
WebBikeWorld
Motorcycle Riders Club of America
Urban Moto
American Motorcyclist

Thanks
Send one to me, I'll get a review up ASAP. If I had any extra cash sitting around I would have already placed my order, but we own a landscaping business and winter was SLOOOWWWWW! But, it's starting to pick back up!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #120
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I heard about this suit this morning. It sounds like EXACTLY what I'm looking for long-term. I just bought some new gear, but I'm saving my pennies for Christmas. I'd love to have a 'real' riding suit for long trips and this seems like just the ticket.

I agree that's the price seems almost too good to be true, but when you think about it, is this suit underpriced or are others perhaps overpriced (or a combination of the two)? This thing could take the riding suit from a niche item to something we can all afford. It looks like the perfect thing for a commuter too.

As for where it's made, I want to support the local economy but not at a 400-500% mark-up if the product is similar. Teiz is right about where manufacturing is done these days, and at least he's being honest about it. Hell, he linked this thread to his website - I'd say that's being pretty open.

This guy is starting up a small business. I'm pretty excited about his product. If it's as good as the claims, we'll all be dancing in the streets next year with these suits (goofy knee pucks and all and assuming he can keep up with demand). We absolutely have a right to be skeptical, but let's not start all kinds of random rumors about the company until we have a chance to examine the product (didn't Apple computer start in a garage?). I sure like what I've seen so far.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote