Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Ural Adventure - Arizona to Texas

Day 1: June 11, 2010

Our day began early as we had to a plane to catch by 7:50 am. In all of our excitement the night before I admit I didn’t get much sleep and Blake got even less than I did. Needless to say, there was a bit of struggle to drag our feet out of bed but we did so with much anticipation for our arrival in Phoenix. We arrived in Phoenix at about 8:30 am Arizona time and quickly made our way to baggage claim to pick up our four (very heavy) duffel bags which stowed everything from tools to camping gear and even a shotgun. We were easily able to get a taxi which drove us straight to Logan Valley Motorcycles in Mesa where we would be picking up our 2010 Ural Gear-Up. As soon as the cab drove up to the parking lot, we noticed our beauty. She was sitting right outside of the shop awaiting our arrival. We were greeted by Logan, the shop’s owner, who has been incredibly gracious to us and has really treated us well. We looked ridiculous in the parking lot with all of our gear unloaded. Many people even made comments about the huge load we would be carrying. We have a plan, however, we will be repacking our things into a huge, yellow duffel bag which will be much more efficient than four smaller duffel bags. We were able to get all the paperwork done for the bike and were given advice about where to ride around Mesa in order for us to begin to put on the first 500 kilometers which are needed to do the first service. We wanted to go ahead and get those 500 km done hear so that Logan’s shop would be able to do the first service and send us off on our journey to Texas from there.
We loaded our four duffel bags and two backpacks onto the Ural. We looked very silly and were quite unsure of the positioning if the duffel bags would hold up on our ride to the hotel. I asked Blake about this and he said, “I don’t know…” and shrugged his shoulders. Anyhow, I figured we didn’t have very far to go and this would be a good time to experiment. We made it to the hotel, bags and all, safely. Blake has never driven a motorcycle with a sidecar before so he did have to do some adjusting. He did really well though. He has commented that making left turns is not difficult but making right turns is another story because the sidecar can very easily come up and this is what he is afraid of. We quickly dumped our stuff and were ready to start seeing what this baby could do.
We began riding and were soon on Main Street. Everything was going well and then she started to die at each stoplight. Blake would start her back up again and we would get going but soon as we would hit a stoplight she would die. We turned around and headed back to Logan’s shop to get her looked at. John, the mechanic at Logan’s, was able to take a quick look at her and adjust the carburetor. Soon, we took off again and this time we had no problems with her dying. We stayed on the Apache Trail and were soon headed towards Saguaro Lake. This was interesting for me because the road had quite a few curves around the mountains and I have to say I was a little afraid we were going to fly off, especially because Blake was still trying to get used to making those right turns with a sidecar. There were some beautiful sights and we were able to make it there and back successfully. Our first day was great, we got some good riding. Sunday and Monday, however, would bring on some challenges and worry.
jackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Our Ride Awaits Us......
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Logan showing us how things work.....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The first ride in the side car......me thinks I am to big for it....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Off to the Hotel we go.......
Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The First ride....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Now we couldn't take it out the first day and not ride in the dirt. Could we...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think She was pleased with that.....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Had to stop at a Harley Dealer to get some American Flags......Should of seen the looks on their faces when we pulled up on this thing.....Classic....

Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Met a fellow comrade to get a bite to eat.....

Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2: June 12, 2010
Saturday was the day we were supposed to put on the rest of the 500 kilometers in order to break our Ural in and take her for the first service. We had about 250 kilometers or so to cover so we headed down towards Globe. I can’t say that there were any issues on this day. We had a great ride and were quite surprised when we hit some cold air. We stopped at Superior to have a great breakfast at the Buckboard Café which does contain “The World’s Smallest Museum.” There were a lot of bikers there and we parked in the middle of a pack of Harleys….that’s fun. Of course, we got some interesting looks and we went inside we could see people gather around our motorcycle taking a gander. We also got some questions about it while eating.
We headed on to Globe, enjoying the lovely ride. We then headed back towards to Logan’s to get the first service. Everything was looking good so far. That night we headed out with Logan, Sunny, Jerry, and Carlos for a night ride. It was quite a nice night and we had dinner at a pretty cool joint with a one-man band playing country music. We then headed out the car/motorcycle show on McDonald Street in Scottsdale. It’s pretty awesome to have everyone staring as our four Urals drove by and parked. If nothing else, this thing gets A LOT of attention. We hung out there for a little while and some guys come ask us some questions. Good times. Day 3, however, brings on the struggle.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Get out of the way, this is Ural Parking......
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,952
It`s looking good and keep it coming.

I`m always up for a Ural adventure.

Have to say that it seems reckless in the extreme for a shop (or anyone else) to let someone out on a combo with no sidecar riding experience though.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Again it is not a ride unless there is dirt involved......

I thing she is happy.....only time will tell.....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
jackflash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Time for dinner.....any one coming......