User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
huckleberry OP
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Calling All F658 800 Riders

Well i've been thinking about the name game bmw pulled on us for a while now, and am thinking the time is right -there are probably enough bikes out there now- i think we should get BMW to change the name to F 800 GS AND F 800 GSA this in my opinion would follow the 1200 the a has spokes and longer travel and the big gs has cast wheels and slightly shorter travel. i think this would make sense and not confuse people! what say ye? should we start a petition to send BMW?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Huck, the reasons for BMW's naming scheme for these bikes has been speculated to death here. European insurance regs, trying to keep a favorite bike name in the product mix, who knows? No one here does, or if they do, they ain't saying.

So if you have a lot of spare time to go tilting at windmills, hey, knock yourself out. You want me to sign it? I'll sign it. But I think you have about as much chance of changing the minds at BMW HQ as does a mosquito farting in Mongolia.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,720
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585

But I think you have about as much chance of changing the minds at BMW HQ as does a mosquito farting in Mongolia.

David[/QUOTE]
Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Sales are votes, and they have a landslide victory.

The simple fact that they have sold lots of the F650GSs despite the confusing naming is likely evidence enough for them that they made the right decision in the first place. My understanding of the naming was that they did not want to disuade new riders and first time purchasers with the 800cc engine size, thinking that it might be too much to handle.

Personally, I chose the correctly named version
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
huckleberry OP
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Huck, the reasons for BMW's naming scheme for these bikes has been speculated to death here. European insurance regs, trying to keep a favorite bike name in the product mix, who knows? No one here does, or if they do, they ain't saying.

So if you have a lot of spare time to go tilting at windmills, hey, knock yourself out. You want me to sign it? I'll sign it. But I think you have about as much chance of changing the minds at BMW HQ as does a mosquito farting in Mongolia.

David

I see so many posts about the nameing of this bike ----i thought perhaps the owners might like to try to do something about it------thinking if we had 1 or 2 thousand names might change their minds! besides it was too cold to ride this morning and i needed something to do till it warmed up!!!! 32 when i left
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Don't worry about it, just enjoy the bike. If a mosquito farts in Mongolia, who the F*ck cares.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
I like the 650 moniker, makes it a bit of a sleeper bike
Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Yeah the reason I heard for the bad naming was that they wanted to pay homage and keep the family name of the previous F650GS alive. Personally I say call it what it is and I really like the idea of 800GS and 800GSA since the similarities and differences of the two bikes appear to be almost identical to the sims and diffs of the 1200GS/GSA.

But screw it, I know what my bike is and I'll just change it's name myself to F800GS and those of you with the 800 (actual) can just take a sharpie and write a little A behind the GS on your bikes.

So on that topic, I ordered two big black reflective GS stickers that go on the front body much like on the 800 model from TheLouv (3" as opposed to 3.5" because our 650 space doesn't seem to be the same there). Now I just need to get my hands on F8GS and F800GS stickers (or 798). You can argue that I shouldn't, but my bike is an F-GS and it is an 800.

Cheers!
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
Don't worry about it, just enjoy the bike. If a mosquito farts in Mongolia, who the F*ck cares.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
...I really like the idea of 800GS and 800GSA since the similarities and differences of the two bikes appear to be almost identical to the sims and diffs of the 1200GS/GSA...
Yeah, that 33 ltr fuel tank on the F800GS is really great!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Yeah, that 33 ltr fuel tank on the F800GS is really great!
Touche. Differences vs similarities aren't exactly the same! Just pointing out the 650/800 are essentially as related to each other as the 1200gs/gsa.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Touche. Differences vs similarities aren't exactly the same! Just pointing out the 650/800 are essentially as related to each other as the 1200gs/gsa.
Sorry. My bad. Didn't realise that "almost identical" meant "essentially as related to". Silly me.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Sorry. My bad. Didn't realise that "almost identical" meant "essentially as related to". Silly me.
Emphasis on the "almost" identical
Do mosquitoes fart?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Boy, this is getting interesting
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote