User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,569
Thumb No regrets

I sold My 06' 1200GS and bought the 800 after last summers wrestling match. I love riding off road and learned that the 1200 was too much for me and my size.

At 150lbs I was the proverbial bird on the rhinoceros. I had little control over where i wanted the bike to go. The fork rake, tire size, suspension and girth of the 1200 made it a battle I couldn't win. In comparison to the 800, the 1200 was a tractor. A cruiser with off road intentions.

Now that I am planted on the 800 I do miss the highway capabilities of the 1200. The 800 doesn't corner like the sporty 1200 or has that "tiger" you can let out of the cage at will, but honestly I pretty much stick to the speed limit anyways.

The 800 is a superior off road bike compared to the 1200.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 604
I have owned both also

I love my F8GS more ONLY because of it's lighter weight and better balance. My very shiny all black 1150 GSA was the most beautiful bike I have ever owned - or seen for that matter, but too top-heavy for me and too tall in the saddle. She was an adventure at each stop.

If I had it to do over I would have spent the extra bucks and had her lowered. She was a beast but a very beautiful beast and I miss her.

The F8GS - light, fast, responsive, dual-sport worthy, fits me perfect.
The 1150GSA - heavy, smooth, reliable, eye-candy

Cowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #18
Motowalt OP
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 414
"proverbial bird on the rhinoceros"

I like that analogy!

It seems as if most indicators are pointing toward the 800 in this thread...
Old 04-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Laugh F800GS verses 1150GS

Picked up bike Friday, 4/25/09, first 320 miles:
Stovall Covered Bridge (Shortest Covered Bridge in Georgia)

Entrance to Covered Bridge:

Entering thru the Covered Bridge:

Exiting Stovall Covered Bridge:

New Stovall Bridge 50 yards away:

Came from an 1150GS and must say the F800GS significantly out performs the 1150GS in cornering, and would definately keep up with my 2000 1150GS. Only significant issue was the lower windscreen blew my head around at 75, 80+ mph, simple to solve.

After 300 mile break-end ride my list of farkles includes:
  1. Taller Windshield for long/freeway trips.
  2. Jesses (but I feel the bike is too light for a top box; and you would loose the lower center of gravity gas tank)
  3. Bar-risers but probably Bar-Backs
Observations:
1) Stock windscreen was fine except at 75+ mph when the helmet waffeling started.
2) Stock seat started burning after about an hour I feel my Alaskan Leather Sheep Skin will add at least another hour of comfort.
3) Lower center of gravity is very, very noticable.

Leaning forward more than on the Stock 1150GS. Putting pressure on my carpal tunnel hands but I think a bar-back would solve that problem. After 2 hours both hands were num.

I’ve been thru 4 beemers and 1 KLR and without doubt this is the best 2-wheels I’ve ever owned. F800GS has is much louder than the 1150GS but it's a pleasant sound, my neighbors may not agree.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 04:06 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
03 R1150 GS to an 09 F800GS...no regrets.

The 1150 is like your comfortable wife of many years (a bit overweight, comfortable, and predictable)...the F800 is like a fast and dirty mistress. You are going to love the difference.

Cons;

The F8 will not be as good two up or loaded with everything (including the kitchen sink) as your R1150. Learn to go minimalist (it don't hurt).

The 1150 taught me some very bad habits, riding wise. The F800 is not near as forgiving (remember that fast mistress?) but MUCH more fun.

Pros:

The F8 kicks the R1150 to the curb when stuff gets dirty and loose...like night and day.

The F8 is quicker and more nimble (if a bit more vague on pavement). A snap of the throttle (easy to do BTW) in first gear will pull the front wheel off the ground surprisingly easy.

All in all (in a perfect world) I'd have an 09 R1200 GSA for those long excursions that did not require too much soft dirt and the F800GS for those times when I need to let the Badger out. However since I could only get the one...I chose the F800. I'll suck it up and do without for my mistress.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #21
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,336
I have had both...(and 2 F650gs) the only thing I miss on the 1150gs is the Corbin seat...the 800 is all around better for me!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #22
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
There is no question IMO that the 12GS is the best motorcycle ever made, and by implication the 1150 falls into that category. I ride both my F8 and 12GS a lot, and I really believe the 12GS can get just about anywhere the F8 can go. If you cannot own both, get the boxer. The F8 is fun and sexy, the 12GS is a Swiss Army knife.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #23
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
There is no question IMO that the 12GS is the best motorcycle ever made, and by implication the 1150 falls into that category. I ride both my F8 and 12GS a lot, and I really believe the 12GS can get just about anywhere the F8 can go. If you cannot own both, get the boxer. The F8 is fun and sexy, the 12GS is a Swiss Army knife.

yep, that pretty much sums it up.. IMO not the best ever made but the best suited for what i would like to do.

The F8 is brilliant but as all models, it has its flaws. both great bikes. i hope to have a 12 one day soon, this will fill the great hole the F8 missed out on.
Shaft drive, suspension, seat, power, tubeless tires, load carrying, just to name a few.

cheers.
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:15 AM   #24
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
If you want to put a bit of spicy in your life get the 800, if you want comfort on the freeway get the 1200.
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #25
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
I'm looking at trading my 08 adventure and my 08 650xc on a 800gs. I'm finding I'm having trouble getting the top heavy adventure up from its side stand on gravel roads and find I have to walk the bike until I find some level ground to get on the bike. I have a demo 850gs at home for a couple of days and hope tomorrow to try the bike out on some gravel. The wife is not so interested in riding since I got her a 09 BMW Z4 roadster.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #26
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
1100GS to 800 ... get's better all the time

I had a nicely farkled, very comfortable 1100 for a long time ... never any serious trouble and I loved it.

I have had an 800GS for 4 months and 7,000km and as I have tailored the bike for me I like it more all the time.

I don't seem to be able to wear earplugs so the stock 800 screen was very bad for me on a long trip (especially when combined with the seat!), but when I rode the 800 off bitumen there was no comparison ... it really does feel like a large powerful trailbike.

I added a medium Calsci screen (which I modified to make it better offroad) and some Fastway footpegs in the low position and now I find the 800 very comfortable and warm (winter here!) and the standard seat isn't really bothering me anymore. A side benifit of the screen is that the bike is a lot less susceptible to wind blast from trucks, etc YMMV.

So now I have a GS which is at least as comfortable as the 1100 on the road (With surprisingly good if limited pillion feedback), more power, more "zap", much better fuel economy (the same range in fact!), lighter weight, more offroad ability, and its kind of modern and funky.

I have the BMW bashplate and engine bars, but if I was starting from scratch I would get the Adventure Spec stuff ... its very good.

I will say that the 1200 is a very good bike and if you were going to do huge distances with a pillion I think it would be a better choice. I also think if you get a 1200 you should probably get all the goodies like traction control as well.

Will
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
I'm looking at trading my 08 adventure and my 08 650xc on a 800gs. I'm finding I'm having trouble getting the top heavy adventure up from its side stand on gravel roads and find I have to walk the bike until I find some level ground to get on the bike. I have a demo 850gs at home for a couple of days and hope tomorrow to try the bike out on some gravel. The wife is not so interested in riding since I got her a 09 BMW Z4 roadster.
After my ride today on the 800gs there is no way I'll trade my adventure or my 650xc on the bike. It was good to try the 800. I did hate the front brake reservoir's location.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
LJRAT
LJR Adventure Tours

Oddometer: 58
Own both

Hey Gang,
Own both models R1200 and F800. I put SERIOUS miles on both! I ride hard and ride both on and off road. Both bikes have been Farked to my taste and needs. If I have a choice, I ride the 800.

Why you ask?

I could say in a word: "Simpler". From the standpoint of design. Mine runs perfect, I understand chain drives, spokes and cable operated controls. No ABS here folks.

But then again I am a purist by nature. Don't need a street bike, don't need a dirt bike, don't need a touring bike nor a crotch rocket. Just a basic bike that takes me from A to B. Now if "A" was Los Angeles and "B" was 52nd street in New York than I might opt for the 1200 but what a hoot to cross country it on as many back roads as can be found along the way on an 800!
LJRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #29
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure
After my ride today on the 800gs there is no way I'll trade my adventure or my 650xc on the bike. It was good to try the 800. I did hate the front brake reservoir's location.
thats it you hated the front brake reservoir, so no go??? nothing about the ride, or ergos????? WTF!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #30
KiwiSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
thats it you hated the front brake reservoir, so no go??? nothing about the ride, or ergos????? WTF!
Yeah I found the same thing, brake reservoir catches your eye and is a bit annoying........but something I could live with for sure. I originally wanted the 1200Adv when it first came out but having ridden one found it very, well, plain jane, great for long distance road touring but frankly quite boring even doing that.

The 800GS on the other hand, girl next door stuff, without the strings attached, I found it a whole lot more fun and an excellent "dual purpose" bike, didn't have much time on it but enough to know it will be far more versatile than it's oversized porker big brother.

I requested this type of bike way back when........

Quote:
KiwiSteve, 03-12-2006, 02:50 PM

If they could build a bike much like the 650 Dakar with a bit more power (I think 70-80 ponies would surfice), larger tank capacity (17-20lt underseat with a couple of 5lt pod tanks, totaling 27-30 lt (500-600k range), beefyer subframe/pannier rack, uprated forks/shock, all weighing in not much more than the current 650, I reckon the'd sell heaps
.......I think the Germans must have been listening to me

KiwiSteve