Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #31
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
There is no question IMO that the 12GS is the best motorcycle ever made, and by implication the 1150 falls into that category. I ride both my F8 and 12GS a lot, and I really believe the 12GS can get just about anywhere the F8 can go. If you cannot own both, get the boxer. The F8 is fun and sexy, the 12GS is a Swiss Army knife.
Totally agree. I have a riding buddy with a 12gs that rides his bike wherever the 450s enduro bikes go. Dune's, whoopies, quarries... Man that guy can handle that pig. He did recently suck in some water in a mud pit so he is in for repairs... but knowing where that bike can go is a big plus factor! Id definitely buy the 12 over the 8. No replacement for displacement they say.

The 8's front rim is very soft and damages easy...or so ive heard friends complain... But its easily fixable with an excel rim.

The 8 is however the leaner package... the 12 still has me slightly intimidated with the knobs out the side.
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #32
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSteve
Yeah I found the same thing, brake reservoir catches your eye and is a bit annoying.

KiwiSteve
Plan to swap mine for this -

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #33
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Laugh Custom Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
I have had both...(and 2 F650gs) the only thing I miss on the 1150gs is the Corbin seat...the 800 is all around better for me!
If you haven't already solved this - try Rick Mayer - http://www.rickmayercycle.com/ I did 15 hours last Friday - Manchester NH to Charlotte NC on way back from Nova Scotia.

Only thing that stopped me from all the way to ATL was lack of day light.
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #34
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Question where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
Plan to swap mine for this -

WHERE did you order that from?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #35
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
WHERE did you order that from?
From PJ's Parts -

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=173

Photo Installed -

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #36
Motowalt OP
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 415
At Mid Ohio AMA Vintage Days over the weekend, I rode a demo F800GS immediately followed by a 1200 GS. I was considering both of those as replacements for my 01 1150GS. After the demo rides I decided I liked my 1150 GS the best of the three...unfortunately for me I have already sold the 1150... Man that was one sweet Beemer....
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #37
vrago
Plays with dirt

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
There is no question IMO that the 12GS is the best motorcycle ever made, and by implication the 1150 falls into that category. I ride both my F8 and 12GS a lot, and I really believe the 12GS can get just about anywhere the F8 can go. If you cannot own both, get the boxer. The F8 is fun and sexy, the 12GS is a Swiss Army knife.

F8 vs HP2 ?

I'd assume the hp2 would go anywhere you could put the F8. I'd also assume that the range o the F8 is a plus. How bout in the details, which is a more pleasant pig to coax through terrain?

I know you'd ride the TE through single track, as I would bring my EXC. But for adventure touring in rough terrain. i.e. some baggage, some sense of preservation and the ability to keep going without being stranded, etc.

Any thoughts?

Never had a virago. It's my name.
vrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #38
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Owned Both F8 and R1150

I have owned both and IMHO the F8 is a much more fun bike to ride. The engine sets it apart, not as much grunt, but oh so smooth. The handling of the F8 seems a bit better as well but I am not one to test the limits.

I think it ends up being like a your choice of beer: whatever suits your taste buds and wallet.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #39
nedodjija
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I owned a 1998 R1100GS, not the 1150. But I had it for 8 years, 72,000 miles, took it up to Prudhoe Bay, down into Copper Canyon, across the country and all around the western U.S. I loved that bike. But my F800 will easily do all the 1100 did, and more. Yes, it's probably not as stable on the Interstate playing with big rigs in crosswinds. But off pavement it's in another league entirely. And after having my final drive crater on me (and take the transmission with it), I'm happy to lube and adjust (and replace) a chain every once in a while. From the description of your riding style, I'd say you'll never look back.

David
Talking about R1100GS. I assume that F800 will do everythig better than R1100GS because my Wee will do everything better than R1100GS. I know that my Wee was designed almost 10 years after R1100GS was, but I am just saying that I had a chance to ride R1100GS right after riding my Wee and I was surprised how much better Wee was. Now, knowing that F800 is better off road than Wee, and has more ponies under the tank, I assume that F800 would be way better than R1100GS. I bet it is better than R1150 off road as well. Why not get it especially if you are only riding one up.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #40
GrayGoSt
Ridin' the F8

Oddometer: 121
Had 'em Both!

I had an 02 1150GS and loved it. It was in Alaska and down to Copper Canyon as well. All around the western US. You could pack LOTS on it with the Jesse's and with the custom seat it was rideable all day long. I sold it last year and bought an F8 this year. I REALLY love the F8. I ride 2 up sometimes and it does well. It is a little different 'feeling' 2up than the 1150 but still fun. I've farkeled it a little to make it comfortable with a Rick Mayer seat, higher shield, and it's got the bags to carry all I need, even for 2 up camping. I've put 10K miles on it in about 3 months and wouldn't trade it now. I've had no mechanical problems and have no troubles with adjusting chain, etc myself. My 1150 had the final drive fail while riding so it will be nice to not have that worry.

All that said, if I could afford both I'd have both. Affording only 1, I'll take the F8.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #41
ARDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
800GS or 1200GS

Ok, I am asking this question here and in the GSSpot for comparison. Am considering a BWM and trying to decide between the two. I am a dirt rider but want to be able to do more adventure riding on a dual sport where I can hit the mountain roads, explore dirt roads if I come on them and just ride. Not that interested in highway stuff. Road the 650 and it just didn't have it for me. Oh, am 50 and have been riding dirt, technical single track, some moto. Have been on the road most recently with a Triumph but didn't like it because I like to go off road when the urge hits me. You know?? Anyway just wanted feedback if anyone has experience with both bikes. Also considered something like a KLR or Yamaha 250RR but it seems small to me for the road.

Thanks.
ARDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #42
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,881
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433388
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #43
GJGSRider
carver

Oddometer: 68
R1200GS then F800GS now

I had a 2005 R1200GS and rode it for 30000 miles. It was a great bike on the highway and handled gravel roads fine. I have had a F800GS for 9000 miles and one and a half years, and it is a better choice for me. On the highway and in the twisties it will keep up with anyone and has plenty of power. I have to downshift to pass instead of just rolling on the throttle like I did with the 1200 but the engine loves to rev! In fact I think the Rotax engine is way better than the 2005 R1200GS boxer engine. I get 55+ mpg now instead of 45 with the R1200GS, and the engine is much more responsive.

The F800GS is very well balanced and handles rougher dirt two tracks much better than the 1200GS. One reason I like the F800 is that I could lower the gearing a little by changing the sprockets. I am using a 15 tooth front sprocket and that lowers the gearing about 6%, which results in better handling at slow speeds and that is important to me here in Colorado when the gravel roads get rocky, rutted and bumpy. The F800GS also carries its weight really well; I can’t believe how light and well balanced it feels. I think some of that is due to the rotating mass being parallel to the axles of the bike. When you rev the R1200GS it tends to tip the bike. The F800GS does not do that. All in all I think the F800GS is a great all around bike for Colorado and dual sporting. It gets you wherever you want to go with whatever luggage you want to carry, on road or off, is really well balanced and very versatile, a big improvement for me over the R1200GS. But I avoid long cruises on Interstates.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #44
SVPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Or you can wait and get this!!!!!!

www.multistrada.ducati.com

SVPilot screwed with this post 03-02-2010 at 02:54 PM
SVPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #45
GSranger
blacksheep

Oddometer: 83
Question What about Husqvarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDirt
Ok, I am asking this question here and in the GSSpot for comparison. Am considering a BWM and trying to decide between the two. I am a dirt rider but want to be able to do more adventure riding on a dual sport where I can hit the mountain roads, explore dirt roads if I come on them and just ride. Not that interested in highway stuff. Road the 650 and it just didn't have it for me. Oh, am 50 and have been riding dirt, technical single track, some moto. Have been on the road most recently with a Triumph but didn't like it because I like to go off road when the urge hits me. You know?? Anyway just wanted feedback if anyone has experience with both bikes. Also considered something like a KLR or Yamaha 250RR but it seems small to me for the road.

Thanks.
If you are not interested in any slab/highway riding, why consider a bike that is primarily designed for it. I would broaden your search to something like the Husqvarna 610. Much more dirt oriented

Cheers
GSranger is offline   Reply With Quote