User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,263
how have I missed this thread?!

I like your solution(or whoever did it) to the fork stops. I JB welded some little blocks on the frame for the DR forks I put on. Still need to post pics in the 'Unholy Union' thread.

Do you know if any cutting/relengthening was done on those forks or were they just bolted up? From what I can find the CR250 had inverted forks all the way back to '89 making those some pretty old forks. Wheel travel would have been around 12"

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CR250R

I'm hoping to flip my brake lever so the rod runs above the swingarm next week(if I can get through a midterm and another freakin Spanish essay). Since you've got the brakes actuated by a rod like the G/S the same mod should work for you. I'll post up some good pics on how to do it next week, i hope. I'm only saying that because it may affect whatever you do with the brake pedal and this bike is just crying out for cool-offroady things like that.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 02-19-2009 at 07:50 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

oh yeah, and that plate that holds in your axle uses 4 studs set in to an aluminum block. You CAN pull those studs if you overtorque them. i really recommend getting some nylox (probably 6mm) nuts so that you don't need donkey kong torque to hold them on and you don't have to worry about your front wheel falling off while you ride.

Screw the headlight--junk you don't need!

That pic with the tape measure showing ground clearance--is that with the lift taking up the slack in the suspsension, in other words maximum ground clearance? 12" is darn good.

okay, I give up, what the heck does t5.5k fossa mean? THAT'S why I haven't seen this thread yet!

Man I'm lookin' forward to this thread. You've got a lot of expectations to fulfill with this sucker!

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 02-19-2009 at 08:05 PM
Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,300
right on!

builder mentioned the stops should be replaced by steel pins, threaded to drop in to where the bolts are now. I think those are just standard strength bolts... no shear strength to them.

Forks were just bolted up. They are '96 CR250. so I've been told. I'm getting odd signals, though. They look old. Pic above shows just a spacer a the bottom to make up a little distance. Otherwise BMW bearings, I think. I think the stem is Honda, and evidently they are similar. I will check that out.

Googled "honda CR250 41mm Forks" and found out Race Tech might make some nice stuff for them:
http://dirtrider.automotive.com/9276...els/index.html

SHit they may be 43's. they look pretty small. I need to look them again.

brake pedal-Re: the rod- I have a small shock mount to get around... I have no issue with flipping the bake lever up, but am thinking a cable might be clever.

fabbing a brake pedal should be good for my soul. I can see the rocking couple- just need to get a piece of metal to understand what I'm thinking.

Ok- the name is stupid. I'll admit. A fossa is a cat like carnivore from Madagascar related to a mongoose. Badass little woods creature. The T is for the guy who built it and the rest is related to the price. :lol

That 12" is not being lifted at all. Its the bike without rider, fuel, or rear muffler. Otherwise its resting on its laurels, I.e. all other fluids, and gravity. I think it will drop about 2" with me and a tank of juice on it.

Stagehand screwed with this post 02-19-2009 at 08:25 PM
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
A fossa is a cat like carnivore from Madagascar related to a mongoose
krikey! How many hours of the Discovery Channel did you have to watch to find that out?!

seriously, that is the dumbest name for a thread I think I've ever heard. seriously.

that's some pretty good ground clearance. In the pics you showed you were up on your heels, just where you'd want it for an offroad bike. Did the rear shocks get changed out too? I mean they don't look original.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
right on!

builder mentioned the stops should be replaced by steel pins, threaded to drop in to where the bolts are now. I think those are just standard strength bolts... no shear strength to them.

Forks were just bolted up. They are '96 CR250. so I've been told. I'm getting odd signals, though. They look old. Pic above shows just a spacer a the bottom to make up a little distance. Otherwise BMW bearings, I think. I think the stem is Honda, and evidently they are similar. I will check that out.

Googled "honda CR250 41mm Forks" and found out Race Tech might make some nice stuff for them:
http://dirtrider.automotive.com/9276...els/index.html

SHit they may be 43's. they look pretty small. I need to look them again.

brake pedal-Re: the rod- I have a small shock mount to get around... I have no issue with flipping the bake lever up, but am thinking a cable might be clever.

fabbing a brake pedal should be good for my soul. I can see the rocking couple- just need to get a piece of metal to understand what I'm thinking.

Ok- the name is stupid. I'll admit. A fossa is a cat like carnivore from Madagascar related to a mongoose. Badass little woods creature. The T is for the guy who built it and the rest is related to the price. :lol

That 12" is not being lifted at all. Its the bike without rider, fuel, or rear muffler. Otherwise its resting on its laurels, I.e. all other fluids, and gravity. I think it will drop about 2" with me and a tank of juice on it.
Hi Stage, Cool project !! I am sure those forks are from a Honda XR250. The vintage is right. They were on the model that ran from early 90s until they stopped making them. I fitted a set to my GasGas Pampera. They are a cartridge fork and there are better cartridge valves avaliable. You can also get an SCR fork brace for them.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #21
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

so what's the history on this bike anyways? Who did the work and what caused 'em to stop? They were definitely committed to going all the way on this bike if they welded up the spot where the starter engages the flywheel!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,278
you dont have a toddler. if you did you'd know all about the fossa.
looking good jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
krikey! How many hours of the Discovery Channel did you have to watch to find that out?!

seriously, that is the dumbest name for a thread I think I've ever heard. seriously.

that's some pretty good ground clearance. In the pics you showed you were up on your heels, just where you'd want it for an offroad bike. Did the rear shocks get changed out too? I mean they don't look original.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #23
Clif
GoEasyStepLightlyStayFree

Oddometer: 351
Mr. Stagehand - I have heard tell of folks putting used sportbike silencers on their BM offroad bikes. Such as a GSXR 1000 take-off from ebay fitted to a GS1100. reportedly had for $10-$20 on ebay & readily avail. Most folks go for after market "farkles" so the stockers are just doorstops.{ not that anyone on any website we might know of would do such a thing} Could you go to a 600cc // SuperSport take-off? you probably could gut it for weight. { Dare I say you could be a heretic & put a single KTM 950 can on one side ... }
Just typing out loud & thinking of what might be less than a metric ton.
awesome project btw!
KT
Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #24
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil

It is a dumb name I know. Its ok. I like it, I cant help it. damn thing named itself. I'm not in control at all.

Shocks are 15" Progressives.. and two part springs. There are some other springs with it.. Seat height seems to be around 35" or 36" with that seat. wont change much up or down, an inch up if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakyphil
Hi Stage, Cool project !! I am sure those forks are from a Honda XR250. The vintage is right. They were on the model that ran from early 90s until they stopped making them. I fitted a set to my GasGas Pampera. They are a cartridge fork and there are better cartridge valves avaliable. You can also get an SCR fork brace for them.
Thanks, Phil and thanks for the info. XR250? cool. A fork brace is nice to hear- the first thing i thought when I grabbed the bars was "fork flex."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
you dont have a toddler. if you did you'd know all about the fossa.
Haha- I'm the toddler hehe the kids too small to know from Pixar, but I aint I likes cartoons.

Good call, though. Cant you just hear the fear and awe in the king lemurs voice? thats PERFECT. :lol

more after dinner :nomnom
Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

The tale of this bike is not really sordid, but it is long.
Mechanic friend of mine and I started the idea back in '03 and work started in '04. Some guys envision cafe racers, some see themselves cruising toes up... I see ISDT bikes. He's got access to parts and some ideas of his own. Then Life took over, and job changes and family additions and oh my god how did it become 2007? Where are we with this, oh, its coming along--
last year I got all hot to get it in my hands and was making loud noises, and then I blew up the PD. Remember? Well that took a while to deal with and build up a financial reserve, and a few months ago (after I got back from Africa) I said "OK, I'm freaking out... lets do this thing"
SO now its '09 and I'm like SERIOUSLY, MAN, this whole thing is keeping me from moving on the the next stage of my career, you know what im saying? but its difficult to tread this line of "Gimme, Gimme" and him wanting to make sure he doesnt turn over a piece of junk. He's a perfectionist. What caused him to stop was me saying "give it up!"

Anyhow we finally worked it all out, and I said "the engine is complete and runs, and the forks are fitted and it rolls... I'll take it from here." Honestly there was a year or two there where I didnt think it would ever materialize at all, except that I was paying in money, and that had to go somehwere. I am still a little bit ne croire pas that I own it.
And that means I need to do a few finishing details to get it to the point where real R+D can begin. Except I cant weld. I cant cut and file, drill and bolt with the best of them, but welding I dont even have the equipment for. I need to sit down and do a few miles of bead, then I wont have to take it to some guy to get fracking footpegs installed.

Perpetually forward, my friends! even just baby steps.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #26
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Welding

I wouldnt sweat the welding. I dont bother to do any welding on my bikes. I do all the fabrication, then take it to someone who can weld better than I could ever hope to. The finished product looks better and it wont fall off !!!!!!
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
the engine is complete and runs, and the forks are fitted and it rolls... I'll take it from here
so does that mean you can actually ride it right now? if not, what's keeping it off the road? are you trying to make it street legal?

is that a 4 speed gearbox? they're supposed to be able to be kicked constantly from what I've read, and you don't need that 5th gear offroad anyways

Do you plan on running the little cone K&N airfilters since you've got no airbox? will they be sufficient in a dusty muddy offroad situation? not to mention having your intake so low for stream crossings. snorkels?

from what I understand, the magnetos were on the old old bikes. I've heard old guys talk about the switch from magnetos--they all thought the new-fangled bikes would be found dead on the road when the battery died and they couldn't be kicked sounds like what we say about fuel infection. anywho, magneto info specific to these bikes will likely be found by looking at vintage bikes, google says:

http://www.vintagebmw.org/version6/?q=node/99

and I've heard that Vech guy knows all when it comes to the real dinosaurs

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

3400 Earles Fork Road, man that's great

gotta be a modern(better) alternative, but I didn't turn anything up

I'm just messin with ya about the title. Name your thread(or your bike) after the cartoon character of your choice! I can't say much, I got drunk in a portcall once and got a tattoo of the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland on my left buttcheek--at least you can sell the bike, I'm stuck with my ass!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #28
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 869
Jason, maybe you should re-name it;
T5.5K Fossa and the Gimmie Gimmies

Just my rock-pop-punk inner self coming out. Cut-shut-and weld that bike should be ready in a few weeks.

Grimmy
grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #29
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Thanks for that info... can you tell me more, before I just start googling toute fou?

I found out the rear diff is a 37/11. Could be lower, but its on the low side so its not bad.

this kind of ignation used on most part of Euro enduro bikes are really really light weight, they doesn't use any battery (accumulator).
I think that Huskvarna use this on 510 and 610 TE (4 strokes)
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #30
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
And that means I need to do a few finishing details to get it to the point where real R+D can begin. Except I cant weld. I cant cut and file, drill and bolt with the best of them, but welding I dont even have the equipment for. I need to sit down and do a few miles of bead, then I wont have to take it to some guy to get fracking footpegs installed.

Perpetually forward, my friends! even just baby steps.

I'm with you buddy.
Learn yourself good on that trade and it seems like nothing can hold you back. I'd really be interested in watching someone learn to weld; it doesn't seem all that unintuitive - just too expensive for me to dabble into right now. But as soon as I ever get a garage.....
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote