Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #46
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
I don't know why you're worried about color. It's gonna be constantly covered in dirt anyway, right?

I like your first color scheme iteration. Otherwise, flat black with a gunmetal gray frame and black pipes.

Somewhere on this bike, you will certainly need a skull and cross bones.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #47
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,220
I have not much else to do for the moment besides chew my fingernails and swap lightbulbs in other bikes

ahh soon I'll be riding it. Wheelie pics forthcoming.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #48
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I have not much else to do for the moment besides chew my fingernails and swap lightbulbs in other bikes

ahh soon I'll be riding it. Wheelie pics forthcoming.
this thread is worthelss without NEW pictures!!

BTW, just noticed the nice picture in cycleworld from last month (or the one before that)... think I recognized the guy in the full page BMW add!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #49
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
I'd like to see more pics of the bike AND the ad lobo is talking about
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #50
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto
I'd like to see more pics of the bike AND the ad lobo is talking about

Man- I wish I had some new pics-- Soon, though!

Soy- here is a thread with the photo-- apparently it made it into the MOA ON, the AMA motorcyclist, and Feb's Cycle World.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=stagehand

and here is the link to all the photos I have of the thing. Welder is taking a while.

http://www.jasona.smugmug.com/galler...66724267_UWYFH
Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #51
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 871
I believe we've been waiting long enough, sir. I've been working on the XT's while the ankle mends the least we can have is a teaser of the high pipes, wrapped of course, the Preston Petty plastics and the trick wiring.

Grimmy
grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #52
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
ride it in the snow if you have to. Where's the pics of the new madness?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #53
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

THis is as far as I've got: I've had an opera and a bunch of orchestras and a bajillion obstacles to having bike fun; havent actually ridden anything since the rallye, until yesterday!

Looks like I'll be just shortening the shift lever, and for the brake, we'll be using the original aft portion, and re-welding the forward portion of the brake lever a little further back so that my foot can hit it.

Down and dirty. Lets get this thing done.

I'm interested in that GSXR 1100 rear muffler, mostly because its cheap as hell.

Hard to see as a set of pics, but the kicker does miss the peg.

Grimmy- I do hope your ankle is feeling better. Imagine going all the way through Africa, only to take a digger in the Carolina's. I guess if youre going to go, better that than the other way round.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #54
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
You're such a tease... 2-weeks and all we get is foot pegs tach welded on .

Just for reference here another shift linkage, quite a bit more complicated compared to your idea of just shortening the lever:

(fyi - my airhead thread is coming! Should have some good stuff real soon!)

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #55
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

its difficult to make progress, sometimes

Rode the PD around for the first time in a month and a half, and 3/4 of the way through the day, I think the starter solenoid is crapping. I get a great big CLICK but no voltage drop. Last thing I did was the charge light swap. At least I got about 40 or 50 miles out of it before the latest problem. I swear I love this bike.

Instead of fixing it, I elect to ride the other bike which also has the living shit beat out of it, but still valiantly kicks to life, and so is pressed into reluctant service.

All my bikes suck

OH RIGHT THIS BIKE

That armature shifter is a great idea, and I wonder if I can get a regular GS footpeg arrangement into that. I dont know. I bet I could fabricate something off of this shortened one if it doesn't work out. Would need a pivot point forward to be invented. (welded) (another trip) (more money right now) I like to think it will be on the long list of things to make happen, eventually.

I seriously can not wait to hear what you've got cooking.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #56
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 871
Jason all bikes suck, that's why we show them love and affection trying to make their lives better, not ours.

My ISDT reunion ride XT is just about ready, off-semi-off the crutches and can't wait to ride.

Take care, Grimmy
grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #57
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

throw a few extra wraps of tape on the ankle and some bailing wire on the boots. It should hold together, if you dont have to push the bike too far

Sounds like fun.

I'm thinking of something like this for the exhaust: simple, cheap- looks OK. Got enough meat on the down pipe to do something with.

this one, a Kawi 250

Is this the same thing? When gaping about looking at rear mufflers- I know I am looking to preserve the overall length of the original system, but is this one too small for this job? It seems a little too small, for some reason.

same sorta thing

THen again, the ones I'm partial to for no better reason than I think they will work the best are the Yamaha WR 450 and 500 exhausts:

Yam

Another yamaha

ach. I dont want to bloody bid on the damn thing i just want to buy it. Grrr.

It seems like the way to go right now is to take off out of the collector (remember this thing currently has R80ST headers and collector) and go up along the subframe and then turn horizontal. Makes it pretty easy to use the upper subframe part for support. And it kinda ends up looking like the GS style muffler.
I still have the old ST rear muffler, which incidentally looks exactly like the GS style, down to the 20lbs or rocks inside it.

Cant get myself to pull trigger on any of these without being able to turn them over in my hands and hold them up against the bike. Need to jump off this bridge soon, though.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #58
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
another shift linkage idea for you...

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #59
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Its been over at Havspeed's for awhile, but he's been busy putting this car together for Rallye New York:

I am definitely going to move towards a linkage, but for now, I JUST WANT IT TO ROLL so down and dirty. Gonna go pick it up this coming week and figure out some fender action.

Brake for now: Iknow I will chunk this aluminum right away, but I really want to putter around the yard, so this is how it should look: I like when the footpeg and brake lever are about even in height:

The peg here is kinda high, so is the pedal. IT is going to be lower so I can get my boot on it, under the carb:

Progress is progress:

AM really torn about using hte stock ST exhaust. It will be quiet, and that is really important. But its heavy as hell, and Large. and designed for a single sided swingarm, so ordinarily it fits up nice and tight to the bike. Feels like a sidecar hanging off there. Yet I am still unwilling to buy a random can sight unseen.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #60
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Got it running! Got it back from the welder with the pegs and levers fitted. Spent some time in the barn with Danedg wiring up the battery and kill switch, swapped a good has tank on it and kicked it over. Runs great!
Couple observations right away: it jacks like a motherfucker. :lol really, fan thought the front brake was hanging, whenit was only the rear end lifting up like four or five inches.
Also- first foray into the woods got the front brake hydraulic line caught up in the front brake rotor and wheel, and destroyed it. Completely severed it, actually, so I need a new brake line. Otherwise, I can safely say this thing is a brick shithouse

The suspension is way out- front and rear are totally not acting together, yet.
Its a lot unlike anything I've ever ridden before.
Also, it has no rear muffler, so its way too loud for my taste. I'm going to throw fenders at it and give it back to the welder for exhaust work.
My computer shut the bed, so no pics, and I'm writing this on my Crackberry. You all are welcome to come up and take pics to help me out. Come ride this thing, its totally nuts.